The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 3, 2014, 01:03 PM   #1
TheBear

Muzzleloading pistols

I want to get myself a muzzleloading pistol for plinking, target shooting and maybe competition depending on the results i achieve...

My local gunshop gives me a special deal on pedersoli pistols:
"Mang in graz" 900$
"Kuchenreuter"1000$
"Le Page" 500$

all 44`s

i like the mang most but i dont have any experience with muzzleloading pistols.

what do you guys think?
Old March 3, 2014, 01:28 PM   #2
BWM

There is some out there that is a lot less money. Check your pawn shops, look on the internet. Jest put in muzzle loading hand guns GOOD LUCK
Old March 3, 2014, 01:37 PM   #3
Pahoo

I like the way you think !!

Quote:
what do you guys think?
I think you have a good eye but understand that for me, you are preaching to the choir. I have reduced my M/L pistols from C&B' and gone fairly exclusive to the older single-shot. Domestically, the choices are getting fewer and the Pedersoli's are excellent. I own two Kentuckians and I like that style. If you are still shopping, might I suggest a used, TC Patriot. They are a bit softer on the wallet. I don't know that other questions you might have and the only thing I can add, is; Go for it !!! ...

Sounds like you have a pretty nice gun-shop and sure would like the see what Pedersolis they carry, I also have three of their rifles. ....

Great Choices
Be Safe !!!
Old March 3, 2014, 06:05 PM   #4
kwhi43

I'm just a target shooter. Here are some of what I use in competition

Old March 3, 2014, 07:18 PM   #5
DennisCA

I bought one of these not that long ago;
(And I am very happy with it)
http://muzzle-loaders.com/pistols/tr...cky-pistol.php

Here's the rest of the pistols they have to offer:

http://www.muzzle-loaders.com/pistol...er-pistols.php

Also - Stay away from the kits (IMHO).
Old March 3, 2014, 08:37 PM   #6
Hellgate

Bear,
You said: "i like the mang most but i dont have any experience with muzzleloading pistols."

That's like walking into a car dealer and saying I don't know much about cars and they start showing you Ferraris, Maseratis, and Rolls Royces. First you need to drive a station wagon or two the get the feel of what you really need or want. You may find out you just don't like it that much. For plinking, just get a Pietta Remington for about $150 used or $200-$250 new from Cabelas. They are great plinkers. Also it depends on what competition you are talking about: bullseye type precision shooting, Cowboy Action, or N/SSA skirmishing. All 3 require different kinds of guns and mind sets.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old March 3, 2014, 08:44 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

IMO, at the prices posted, they're over priced. Go to a Black Powder Rendezvous and you'll do much better.
Old March 3, 2014, 09:25 PM   #8
Hawg

Those are excellent prices compared to what Cherry's sells them for.
Old March 4, 2014, 10:29 PM   #9
B.L.E.

Those Pedersolis are fairly faithful copies of actual historical pistols as opposed to being generic Kentucky style pistols if that's important to you. I have fondled a LePage and the quality of the stock and fit and finish was first class.

Note. Pistol .44 caliber means it shoots a patched .433 roundball. Revolver .44 caliber means it shoots a .451, .454, or .457 roundball, they are really .45 caliber by modern standards.
Pistols load and shoot like muzzle loading rifles.
I personally find myself shooting my pistols more than my revolvers just because post shooting cleanup is more simple. The sidelock hammer design effectively keeps all powder fouling out of the lockwork and you only have to clean the barrel.
Old March 5, 2014, 07:38 AM   #10
Captchee

For what ever reason Pedersoli wants a ton of money for their guns until the value of the US dollar dropped so much , they were about 1/3 of what they charge now . Heck a lot of times for the price the now want for a Pedersoli , you could be very close to having a custom gun built
But past that
Anyone would make for very good competition target shooting but for every day plinking and just your day at the range target shooting there really isn’t a need IMO to go for that type of piece . Unless you just want to . Then hay 2 thumbs up on that .
Myself I don’t like the Pedersoli LePage . Has nothing to do with the quality , I just don’t like it the looks or the lines even for a later LePage which I would guess its modeled after . Myself I prefer the earlier LePage works which is a lot more like the Mang your looking at

That being said , the price being ask for the LePage is a good price. About where IMO it should be when new . But its not so compared to the new price , its not bad .
The Mang and Kuchen are also reasonable if they are in very good near new shape . But again that’s compared to the New asking price .

but look around some as you if what your looking at is used , you should be able to find even better prices

As alternatives . The Trapper pistol was mentioned . I would also add into that the Traditions, William Parker which frankly is a surprisingly good pistol for the 375 asking price

or check out this custom being offered for 550 from the gun works . and you get your choise of calibers

http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodg...at2Option=yes#

you also might want to take a look at what else they have to offer in thier used area you can save a couple hundred on the pedersoli Lepage
Old March 5, 2014, 03:48 PM   #11
Pahoo

The difference between men and boys, is the price of their toys

Quote:
If you are still shopping, might I suggest a used, TC Patriot. They are a bit softer on the wallet.
Again, for various reasons, let me recommend a used TC Patriot. It is rated as a target pistol, has an excellent double set as well as adjustable sights. Should be able to find one in the $325.00 to $400.00 price range. Yes, that is over priced and they are that good. The Trapper would be a second choice and last month, I bought one for $75.00. ....

Reading between the lines, I see you want something that looks more traditional and in the target area. If you can swing it, get the Pedersoli you want. My first M/L single-shot, was a CVA Kit gun. I actually assembled two of these. Time has passed and the money is better so my last two, have been Pedersolis. Like most things, you start out small and cheap and work for bigger and better. .....

Go for it and;
Be Safe !!!
Old March 6, 2014, 09:59 AM   #12
mega twin

The bear,are you in the united states?
That would make a big difference on the advice given here.
Old March 6, 2014, 11:12 AM   #13
Old Stony

I purchased this pistol from the Gun Works a lot of years ago and it has been shot a bunch. I have won a lot of ribbons with it over the years and it has a lot of life left in it still. I bought it in .40 caliber which I like for target and it comes with a nice single set trigger.
Old March 6, 2014, 12:24 PM   #14
B.L.E.

Quote:
Again, for various reasons, let me recommend a used TC Patriot. It is rated as a target pistol, has an excellent double set as well as adjustable sights.
I have a TC Patriot in .45 and yes they are that good. Also these have a sawhandle grip instead of a plowhandle grip.
TC cut really deep rifling grooves in the barrels of these pistols and as a result, you will burn patches if you load "normal" .440 or even .445 roundballs with .015" patches. I get excellent results using .451 balls and .015" teflon coated target patches or .445 roundballs using .020" canvas duck patches.
Yes, you'll need a small mallet to start these down the barrel but once started, they'll load with a firm push on a steel target cleaning rod/ramrod.

You can also prevent patch burning by putting a Wonder Wad between the powder charge and patched ball, probably a better option for field use where you want something loose enough to load with the field ramrod.
Old March 7, 2014, 03:54 PM   #15
TheBear

i found a used billinghurst .36cal in great shape at a pawnshop and bought it, 200$, the guys at my range say it was a one hell of a deal... Some european manufacturer "dedinski".
Thanks for all your input.
Old March 8, 2014, 07:28 AM   #16
10-96

[QUOTE "dedinski". ][/QUOTE] As in Tilo Dedinski of Germany? Man, talk about some classy looking firearms!

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old March 8, 2014, 10:07 AM   #17
mec

those are extremely good prices. Must have come in when the exchange rate was better. The lyman plains pistol is a very accurate single loader and the Pedersoli Kentucky is a nice flinlock and less expensive than the fine target pistols you are looking at. I had a percussion LePage for a while and it was a super accurate shooter. Had to put blue loctite on the set trigger adjustment though to keep it from creeping out far enough to let the hammer drop.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lepageclockblk.jpg (79.6 KB, 514 views)
File Type: jpg lepage25777rt.JPG (214.1 KB, 521 views)
File Type: jpg kentuckydat.JPG (147.5 KB, 820 views)
Old March 9, 2014, 07:26 AM   #18
TheBear

Quote:
As in Tilo Dedinski of Germany? Man, talk about some classy looking firearms!
Yeah, im pretty sure the pawnshop owner had NO idea what he was selling me. Its pretty old though...

Quote:
those are extremely good prices. Must have come in when the exchange rate was better.
like i said, special deal, the gunstore owner owes me big tim because he sold a used Ruger MKIII to me and claimed it was new and i didnt tell anybody at the local range about it AND im still buying from his shop...
Old March 11, 2014, 08:49 PM   #19
darkgael

This one is by Bob Worthington at Greyhaven Arms
Old March 12, 2014, 02:40 AM   #20
swathdiver

How about a .36 caliber Pietta Remington Belt Revolver?

Quite accurate out of the box and its a sixgun of course. You'll also pay half of the least expensive gun at the pawn shop.

Doesn't eat a lot of lead or powder, great for plinking, hunting where allowed and target shoots too.
Old March 12, 2014, 07:31 AM   #21
4V50 Gary
Staff

Old Stony - I'm making a 10/22 forearm that looks like the one on your pistol. The rear half of the stock will look like a long rifle.
Old March 12, 2014, 01:30 PM   #22
fdf

"I want to get myself a muzzleloading pistol for plinking, target shooting and maybe competition depending on the results i achieve...

My local gunshop gives me a special deal on pedersoli pistols:
"Mang in graz" 900$
"Kuchenreuter"1000$
"Le Page" 500$

all 44`s

i like the mang most but i dont have any experience with muzzleloading pistols.

what do you guys think? "

Go to the shop and handle each of your desires to see what balances in you hand the best.

Out of the three (3), I would say the Le Page, it has a following.