The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 14, 2012, 03:54 PM   #1
dbuffington

Subsonic Expansion?

Hi Folks!

I've been having a bunch of fun playing with reloading for 300 AAC Blackout, and I've found that excellent accuracy is possible for subsonic loads.

However, are there any appropriate bullets -- say 180 to 220 gr -- that will expand at subsonic velocities?

Heck, are there ANY bullets that expand at subsonic velocities?

Thanks!
Dave
Old November 14, 2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Whisper 300

Absolutely.

Have used Lehigh bullets very successfully and Outlaw State bullets also work well. 2 completely different approaches to the same problem of getting a subsonic heavy bullet to open up

Go to each website and see for yourself.

They are pricey but they also drop deer -- I know others will write in that they have good luck with x or y brand but when I spoke to head of technical dept at Sierra and Hornady and Barnes they all parroted the same thing--"our bullets are designed to open at much faster velocities"

Your biggest problem will be getting a subsonic load to work your action-assuming you are on an AR platform.
I have a custom made 300 Whisper-aka 300 BLK, bolt and do not have the concerns of enough gas to work the action. I load for 1050 fps and then focus in on accuracy. Currently using Lil'Gun to great success. Have used AA 5 and AA7 and H110 but never got my gun to "appreciate" those powders with giving me both subsonic and accurate loads.

Good luck,

Gary
Old November 14, 2012, 04:59 PM   #3
dbuffington

Quote:
Have used Lehigh bullets very successfully and Outlaw State bullets also work well. 2 completely different approaches to the same problem of getting a subsonic heavy bullet to open up
Those are very interesting! Thanks!

Quote:
Your biggest problem will be getting a subsonic load to work your action-assuming you are on an AR platform.
I'm getting very good results -- with both an AR and a H&R Handi Rifle -- with this recipe:
- Hornady A-MAX 208 gr (or Sierra 210 gr, IIRC)
- 8.4 grains VV N110
- CCI Small Rifle Magnum primer

They stay consistently subsonic and give me 1/2 inch, 50 yard groups.

Thanks again!
Dave
Old November 14, 2012, 07:59 PM   #4
scsov509

+1 on the Outlaw State bullets for expanding at subsonic velocities. They're more expensive, but a friend and I have both had great success with them in terms of accuracy, reliability, and expansion. For a general subsonic plinking load though, I stick with the 208 Amax over 10.2 grains of 1680. I've had exceptional accuracy and reliable function, but it certainly doesn't expand at those velocities nor do I think for that matter that the Amax is really going to expand even at much faster velocities.
Old November 15, 2012, 11:33 AM   #5
dbuffington

Quote:
Have used Lehigh bullets very successfully ...
BTW ... Two web sites turn up when you search for Lehigh bullets. The current one appears to be www.lehighdefense.com