The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 26, 2011, 09:35 AM   #1
Fargazer

New Solo - impressions

Well, yesterday my Kimber Solo came in. Bottom line - I like it quite a bit. I'm going to focus on reliability and operation; there are plenty of places to go to if you are looking for fit and feel.

When I picked it up at my LGS over lunch, I brought along 2 boxes of American Eagle 147gr 9mm, as well as two boxes of Fiocchi 147gr (my normal practice ammo). I ran it through 75 rounds or so - a full box of the AE since that particular round is specifically on the recommended ammo list, then some of the Fiocchi.

I was expecting some minor issues in this initial session - after all, best practices say to clean and lubricate the gun first, and I was taking it straight out of the box - not because it was a Solo, but because I would with any gun straight off. I saw two things:
  • On occasion, the slide would not go forward all the way. This was usually on the first round of a magazine, and happened much more frequently on the Fiocchi round nose ammo than the American Eagle truncated nose.
  • The magazine release is stiff, and requires quite a bit of pressure on the button to do so - minimal risk of an accidental mag release. It was particularly difficult to operate when the slide had the above issue.
I purchased 2 extra magazines (and their last at the end of the session, for a total of three), and the slide issue happened regardless of magazine.

For me, precision was outstanding - at 3 yards, one big ragged hole. At 7 yards, a slightly more elongated ragged hold, a bit low and right. At 15 yards, I suck - but consistently sucked a bit more low and right. Other shooters tended not be quite as consistent - probably because of recoil anticipation.

After work, I field stripped the gun - relatively smooth operation - and cleaned it with Militech-1; afterwards, I used a hair dryer to help bond the lubricant with the metal (something unique to Militech). I reassembled the gun, worked the slide about 30 times, and took it back to the LGS range for a second round. This time I took not only the remainder of the AE and Fiocchi ammo, but also a box of 50 Remington Golden Saber.

Right away I ran into an operator induced error - the gun's slide would lock open after every shot. This is covered in the owner's manual - it means that during reassembly, I did not put the slide stop under the retention spring. I cleared the gun, removed and replaced the slide stop, this time making sure the spring was in the proper place. You can tell by eye whether the spring is properly oriented - you just have to actually check it .

I ran the Solo through about 50 rounds; a mix of AE, Fiocchi, and Golden Saber. I ran into the slide locking issue from lunchtime only once; on a hunch, I loaded the 6 shot magazines with only 5 shots, and I could not replicate the problem that way.

I did let a few other people shoot the Solo while I was at the range. None of the gun staff had any issue other than the first session, with the slide locking. One friend had a failure to feed (again, full mag), and after clearing the gun it shot fine.

I consider the initial set of shooting sessions with any gun "getting to know you" time; though I am happy with completely trouble free operations, I don't expect perfection immediately - particularly with a gun that specifies right in the manual any sort of "break in period". Overall, I"m pleased:
  • I think most if not all of the slide issues are actually magazine issues. I've heard of this before with new magazines, though this is the first time I've seen it in person. I've fully loaded the magazines, and will keep them loaded for a few weeks to see if that clears up the slide issues.
  • Remember for the initial session, I shot it out of the box; best practice is to field strip and lubricate first.
  • For the second session, the gun was a bit "wet" from lubrication - the manual specifically states the gun is designed to run relatively dry. After the shooting session, I wiped off excess lubricant, and just made sure the slide slots had a drop in each.
Other thoughts:
  • For me, the gun is quite precise; I'm just now finding what proper trigger finger placement is for the pistol to get better accuracy (right now I'm consistently low and right - other people have been right on target).
  • Recoil is stout, but not unbearable - significantly better than my LCR .357 even with .38s loaded. My hand started to feel uncomfortable after the first 75 round session. I'm going to try a Hogue HandAll Junior on it and see how that works.
  • The 3 dot sights are easily visible, and quick to line up.
  • I have both a holster from H.B.E. Leatherworks (Pro TL) and a Remora. The gun is extremely easy to conceal, either in the waistband or in the pocket (I wear pleated dark chinos).
  • Minor finish wear marks on the slide grooves and under the slide stop; not visible unless field stripped. Not an issue to me at all.
  • The magazine fits flush with the pistol butt, and needs to be pushed in with a bit of authority to fully engage.
There are three things I'm thinking about for this pistol:
  • I'm definitely going to look at something to make the handle a bit more "sticky". When I field stripped the Solo in my second session, I got a bit of oil on my hands, and it affected my shooting. I'll try a Hogue HandAll Junior first, and think about anything more in a month or two.
  • Sights are very good, but not night sights. I think the sight mounts are standard Kimber; if I can confirm that's true, I'll consider putting some TFO sights on it. I like the Kimber sights, but I've been lusting after some TFO sights for a while now, and this is the only pistol I have that I may be able to fit with them. I just got confirmation from Kimber that the dovetails are NOT the same as their other 1911 pistols, so anyone like TruGlo who says they have sights for "Kimber" will apply only to their 1911s, NOT the Solo. If you want night sights, you will need to wait a while.
  • The KimPro II Finish is very nice, but as it shows wear I'll save up to send it to Robar for their NP3 Plus treatment.
Lots of promise for this pistol. I'll update next week to keep you all informed how things progress; I should have started reliability testing by then.

Last edited by Fargazer; August 26, 2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old August 26, 2011, 09:58 AM   #2
MJ45

jelousy overwhelms me, i wanted one of those bad. dealers around here said it was at least a year wait after order. hope you love it.
Old August 26, 2011, 10:07 AM   #3
Get R Done Guns

That is a very nice detailed post. Thank you!
Please visit us at www.getgunsonline.com for some of the best delivered pricing on the net. 31,000 items and $4.99 ships your entire order!! No credit card fees! Gun+ammo=$4.99 Ammo+accessories=$4.99 WE MEAN EVERYTHING ON YOUR ORDER!!
Old August 26, 2011, 08:52 PM   #4
C0untZer0

Any failure in a carry gun disturbs me and shakes my confidence in the weapon.

For me - I would have cleaned and lubed it per the manual before taking it shooting.

I'm not able to experience a failure and then just chalk it up to me not cleaning the weapon or whatever. It makes me lose confidence in it and and I have no peace of mind over it. If my confidence is shaken in a pistol - it might come with me to the range but it's not going to be my HD/SD weapon.
Old August 27, 2011, 06:10 PM   #5
armabill

Now this is just me: whenever I get a firearm, whether it's used or new, I cleaned the hell out of it.

Why?

1. I get to clean all the crap from it deposited by the other person(s)- individual or manufacturer.

2. I get to see if there are any issues with it that would cause a malfunction.

3. I get to know the gun's function prior to shooting.
Old August 28, 2011, 12:20 AM   #6
checkmyswag

It does look like a very smooth/rounded gun for CC.
Old August 28, 2011, 12:20 AM   #7
Fargazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by armabill
whenever I get a firearm, whether it's used or new, I cleaned the hell out of it
Normally I do too; however, after waiting 8 months (I paid for it in full Tuesday of SHOT show), I will confess to having a bad case of "I really REALLY want to see how it shoots NOW" syndrome. Yes, I am a weak and shallow fellow - please forgive me, my gun loving brothers and sisters .
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0untZer0
Any failure in a carry gun disturbs me and shakes my confidence in the weapon
I can understand where you are coming from, however, I'm willing to make a few early allowances for a new design (as opposed to something proven, say like a Glock 17 Gen3). Given so far all issues can be traced to stiff magazines or incorrect assembly, I'm reasonably happy. The proof in the pudding is going to be how long can the gun run between cleanings without malfunction (after all, spring replacement is every 1000 rounds), and whether the gun displays any internal peening or chipping as some have elsewhere reported. At 500 rounds or the first malfunction I'll field strip and inspect it; I'll try to remember to take some photos.

I've put a Hogue HandAll Jr. on the pistol to make it more comfortable for extended shooting sessions. It fits well, but you don't want to push it up too high on the grip or there won't be enough room between the finger hump of the HandAll and the bottom of the trigger guard for your middle finger. A bit of trimming on the bottom, and it is good to go.

So far, 6 magazines (42 rounds this session, total of 170 or so) and counting; the magazines are fully loaded, and working fine. Tomorrow I'll run another set, then run a box or so per session until it malfunctions. I'll keep everyone posted what I find.
Old August 28, 2011, 09:00 AM   #8
Uncle Malice

Old August 29, 2011, 10:46 AM   #9
C0untZer0

The proof in the pudding is going to be how long can the gun run between cleanings without malfunction?

I don't understand this.

I always clean my firearms after firing them, I build up confidence in a firearm when it functions without issue under the normal conditions that I expect it to function under.

I guess my confidence would go up in a pistol if I shot it for months and months without cleaning it, and it didn't experience problems. The reasoning would be - if it functioned well without cleaning then it should function if I keep it clean and properly lubricated. But on the other hand if I experience a malfuction during that time - I'm back to wondering if it was due to the pistol not being maintained properly or if there is something inherent with the pistol that is causing it to malfuction.
Old August 29, 2011, 11:41 AM   #10
Nakanokalronin

C0untZer0: Its because people think even a pocket gun should run like an AK in a dusty,dirty war-like environment after 10,000rds. I clean my guns after every range session as well which is around 100 - 2,000rds which all of my guns can easily do but some people like to shoot a gun until it breaks......then its good enough.....

To the OP: Congrats on the Solo. Mine is a little handful, however Kimber is going to have some 8rd mags available on their website soon enough that includes a grip extension. In my experience, the Solo wants to slip in my hand at round 5 or 6 even with grip tape front to back and slightly thicker wood panels.

Watch the slide lock issues and don't let Kimber tell you your doing something wrong if you end up sending it back. I had slide lock issues and they told me it was improper assembly. Well what I did is take off both grip panels and see what was really going on when the mag was inserted. What I found out was the mag follower was ending up on the side of the slide stop when inserted. This happened at random times and could only be prevented be pushing the mag towards the stop while inserting the mag. This means the mag had to much play in the grip well.

I wrote this all down in a note when I sent my Solo back to Kimber. After about 4 weeks they sent it back with a new slide and barrel. So far the slide has only failed to lock back once but it seems the Solo slide has something to do with how the mag sits in the frame.

BTW, loading from a full 6rd magazine is best done with the slide already locked open. Because of the characteristics of the Solo, its the best way to load from empty or when loading to carry and is a common occurrence with other Solo owners as well.

I really like the Solo but I'm really looking forward to the extended mags for the added grip.

ETA: I wanted to mention that 147gr. ammo seems to be the most accurate out of my particular Solo. Its currently loaded with 147gr. HST.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; August 29, 2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old August 29, 2011, 11:45 AM   #11
WildBill45

Kimber Solo Video ... first impressions

Let me help you out with a video I did of the Kimber Solo at the NRA Convention! I shot videos of most of the new handguns coming out at the time to send to my gun shooting buddies!

I was impressed by the Solo, it felt really good, high quality, and very compact! It was on my short list until the test reviews started to appear in various rags. Most of those reports showed the Solo had ammo preferences, and some issues to function that put the Solo on my "wait and see" list, after the bugs are worked out!

I hope they get it working, as this is one very nice CCW, compact 9mm!!!

Here is the video, just a first impressions thing that shows those who have not laid eyes on one yet, what it looks like in the hand, etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dma5u5yZtng

PS: the first part of the video I am pointing it up to test the trigger, with my finger on the trigger then dry-firing, after throughly checking it for safety, and acquiring permission to try the trigger!

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old August 29, 2011, 11:53 AM   #12
Fargazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0untZer0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fargazer
The proof in the pudding is going to be how long can the gun run between cleanings without malfunction?
I don't understand this.
Smoke test - I want to know what the new design's tolerances are:
  • I normally clean every other shooting session or so, but I still want to see how well the Solo stands up to a lack of cleaning.
    • Does that mean I'm going to not ever clean it until I hit it's "tolerance"? Nope, but I still want to know what that tolerance is.
  • I normally don't limp wrist when shooting, but I'll try that at least a couple times to see how sensitive the pistol is to that circumstance (after the "how long between cleanings" run - one thing at a time).
  • My normal practice ammo is 147 grain 9mm, but I'll run some 115 gr through the Solo at some point to see what it does (after the "how long between cleanings" run - one thing at a time).
If I'm going to carry a weapon for CCW, I want to know as much about its tolerances and behavior as possible. I've done it for my P99, and for my P99c - I see no reason to exempt my Solo from the same scrutiny. It also gives me a better foundation to answer questions about the Solo when people ask me about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakanokalronin
loading from a full 6rd magazine is best done with the slide already locked open
I have definitely noticed I need to take more care to insure the magazine is fully inserted when the slide is closed than when open. So far however, no slide lock issues - as long as I do my part to make sure the slide stop catches the retention spring .
Old August 29, 2011, 12:13 PM   #13
Nakanokalronin

I'll also mention that that finish on the frame will wear off quite easily. You can see it already happening in the picture but I'll probably hold off on getting it refinished until its really bad.

I think its terrible that I'm hearing about Kimber coming out with a model that has checkering on the front and back grip straps. For the size of the pistol, this should of been standard right from the start.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; August 29, 2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old August 29, 2011, 04:36 PM   #14
mythree

Save a boat load of $$$ get the same result out of an LC9 or PF9 with NO finish issues ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old August 29, 2011, 05:01 PM   #15
IMTHDUKE

I like this gun and want so badly to get it to work....it's back to Kimber for the second time....first time exactly what you report.

Quote:
On occasion, the slide would not go forward all the way. This was usually on the first round of a magazine, and happened much more frequently on the Fiocchi round nose ammo than the American Eagle truncated nose.
The magazine release is stiff, and requires quite a bit of pressure on the button to do so - minimal risk of an accidental mag release. It was particularly difficult to operate when the slide had the above issue.
Now, it wont feed anything or slide go into battery. Jury still out on this one.
Ed Brown Alpha Carry| Sig P238, P938, P232, 1911 C3 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Browning, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P C.O.R.E RMR Trijicon | Dan Wesson ECO
Old August 29, 2011, 07:05 PM   #16
paddling_man

Quote:
mythree - Save a boat load of $$$ get the same result out of an LC9 or PF9 with NO finish issues ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
And you could have surfed TFL on a Maylong M-150 Android tablet instead of from an iPad but I believe you would find the experience far less pleasurable... just like comparing a KelTec PF9 to the experience of that Kimber. Yeah, both shoot the same bullet from the muzzle but...

Last edited by paddling_man; August 29, 2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old August 29, 2011, 07:31 PM   #17
Nakanokalronin

Quote:
I have definitely noticed I need to take more care to insure the magazine is fully inserted when the slide is closed than when open. So far however, no slide lock issues - as long as I do my part to make sure the slide stop catches the retention spring .
Well what I meant was the difficulty in chambering the first round. Many have reported that the top round will hang up or that the slide is really hard to pull with a fully loaded mag and a closed slide.Having the slide already locked to the rear and then inserting a full mag has the first round chamber a lot easier.
Old August 29, 2011, 08:51 PM   #18
American Eagle

Quote:
Now, it wont feed anything or slide go into battery. Jury still out on this one.
I know they are selling like hotcakes, but many people are reporting the same problems you guys are having. I think Kimber is really pushing the limit of what may be possible in a 9MM platform, and the failures show that.

i think I'll pass on this one for now, and probably look at the Ruger LCP or other .380ACP pocket guns instead for my deep cover needs.
Old August 29, 2011, 11:28 PM   #19
Jbar4Ranch

We got a couple in last week, very tempting... $639.99...

SASS 47015
Old September 3, 2011, 06:17 PM   #20
Fargazer

Quick update: I've fired 40 rounds of Fiocchi 147 grain ammo; the last few had feeding issues. It was as though the next bullet in the magazine is hitting the ejecting brass before it has cleared the gun.

After that, I've fired 75 rounds of American Eagle 147 grain ammo, with no problems. It is looking like the Solo likes either:
  • Shorter bullets (the AE is noticeably shorter than the Fiocchi), or
  • flat nosed bullets (Fiocchi is round nosed, AE is truncated cone profile)
If I attribute the Fiocchi FTEs to the physical ammo shape and not to cleaning (since it ate AE just fine afterwards), it's been about 125 rounds and so far going strong. I'll keep running AE through it as long as I can without cleaning; then I'll clean it and run a hundred or so rounds of 147 grain Remington Golden Saber through it to confirm it will eat that fine.
Old September 3, 2011, 06:25 PM   #21
Don Glock

Quote:
Watch the slide lock issues and don't let Kimber tell you your doing something wrong if you end up sending it back. I had slide lock issues and they told me it was improper assembly. Well what I did is take off both grip panels and see what was really going on when the mag was inserted. What I found out was the mag follower was ending up on the side of the slide stop when inserted. This happened at random times and could only be prevented be pushing the mag towards the stop while inserting the mag. This means the mag had to much play in the grip well.

looks like kimber has another winner on their hands.
Old September 3, 2011, 07:18 PM   #22
franco45

Kahr CM9 400 rounds, no hiccups and the finish on the frame is intact.
Old September 6, 2011, 07:06 PM   #23
IMTHDUKE

I just got mine back from Kimber CS the second trip today. They replaced the barrel this time. We shall see if it goes bang bang bang...or just bang...grrrrr.

Going to keep sending it back on their dime till they replace the whole gun or get it right.

Will post my range report when the rain here lets up.
Ed Brown Alpha Carry| Sig P238, P938, P232, 1911 C3 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Browning, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P C.O.R.E RMR Trijicon | Dan Wesson ECO
Old September 7, 2011, 04:36 AM   #24
Nakanokalronin

Quote:
looks like kimber has another winner on their hands.
I do like the Kimber and the slide lock issues seem to have gone away but only time will tell. The size and feature of the Solo was had me sold on it in the first place. For carry its the perfect summer piece. If I ended up selling it, it would be wise to do it now while people are willing to over pay for one, but I would then be on a quest for another summer piece with a SAO trigger, thumb safety like a 1911 (Kimber UCII is my winter gun with zero issues and a P238 for pocket carry) and with similar dimensions. I don't think anyone makes a small 9mm with those features in that size.
Old September 8, 2011, 01:06 PM   #25
IMTHDUKE

Here is the update on my Kimber Solo that I got back from Kimber after the 2nd time. The last time they replaced the barrel.

Took her to the range fired 60 rds of Golden Saber 124 gr.

Fired about 2 mags of double taps, 2 mags rapid fire as fast as I could pull the trigger. 2 mags of triple taps, the remainder slow fire.

GOOD NEWS

Not a single anything except bang, bang and more bang. I love this gun! The feel in your hand is so natural and the trigger is super nice...as compared to my Rohrbaugh....I like the SA trigger on the Solo better.

Two things for certain...this gun will not fire ball ammo nor 115gr. It is only a 124gr or a 147gr gun.
I will run some more ammo through it...right now....I am a Happy Camper

Tags
9mm , kimber , review , solo