The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 27, 2009, 09:09 PM   #1
treg

Anyone use a chair blind?

Left my pop up blind in the horse pasture over night last year and they played volleyball (or whatever they play with them) with it 'till it was ruined, and then some. Saw a "chair blind" in an ad - looks to be quite portable with quick and easy set up. Would like to hear reviews: pros, cons, brands, models etc. Thanks!
Old October 27, 2009, 11:24 PM   #2
zahnzieh

Chair blind????? I thought those things were huinter toilets!! Just kiddin....
Old October 28, 2009, 01:22 AM   #3
Hawkeye_FH

I got an Ameristep last year for Christmas. I haven't really had an opportunity to use it yet (might nov. 14,15 - Gun season), but i have set it up to get a feel for it. There isn't enough room to bow hunt out of, but should work well using a gun.
Old October 28, 2009, 01:28 AM   #4
uncledewey

Yes, I have an Ameristep chairblind and love it. I got a turkey last spring from it. It's light to carry and sets up in a minute. Plus its great when the weather is windy and raining. They make a 2 seater also. Only good for guns though. There's not enough room for a bow (maybe a crossbow).
Old October 28, 2009, 08:58 AM   #5
Uncle Buck

My nephew bought me one from Bass Pro, I do not know what the brand name is, but basically it is a lawn chair with a little hut attached to it.
I have it set up now so the critters can get used to it before I actually hunt out of it.
It is a tight squeeze to move the rifle around in it, but I think it will work out fine. It has some little orange tabs on the top so it can be seen by other hunters (just in case we have anyone trespassing on the property).
I like it because if there is any freezing drizzle, I do not have to worry about climbing into a tree stand. I may even bring a little propane heater with me, but I do not know how much room that will give me inside.

As far as the horses playing volley ball with your chair blind, I have had my cows, especially the yearling bulls, destroy all kinds of things that I have left near the barns and in the pasture. The funniest was the time my dad put his aluminium truck topper out behind the barn. My wife woke me up and said someone was tearing the barn down.
I grabbed the gun and headed up to the farm and found two yearling bulls pushing that topper all over the place, making a racket and totally destroying the topper. Dad did not find the humor in it at all.