The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 4, 2009, 07:40 PM   #1
grumpa72

Weird .223 depriming question

I have been depriming my range pick-up .223 brass and I keep running into a particular brand of brass that I am not able to deprime. The brass says "223 Rem" and opposite of that is a mark that may be a "B" or may be a square. It is so difficult to figure out what the stamp is that I am stumped. I tried my magnifying lens to no effect. No matter how much I tighten my depriming pin, it pops out when I try to deprime the brass. I have about 20-30 pieces and I have this set aside in the event that I try something else. Is there any other option or should I just ignore these few pieces?

Has anyone run into this brass? I recognize that my description is pretty poor, but I cannot bring this into focus with my magnifying glass.
Old November 4, 2009, 07:45 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like it's "Berdan primed", which means that the primers are crimped into the case.

http://users.ameritech.net/mchandler/primer.html

I think that the general consensus is that it's not worth messing with it.
Old November 4, 2009, 08:16 PM   #3
grumpa72

Bingo! I reload 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 acp using range pickup brass so I am quite familiar with Berdan priming. It never even occurred to me to look at the primer hole inside. Yep! Two holes. Boy, do I feel like a noob to this hobby. In addition, the case is brass colored but my magnet sticks quite well to it.

Thank you for saving me a ton of worry wondering what I was doing wrong. Of course, what I was doing wrong wasn't thinking.

Thank you again.

Grumpa
Old November 4, 2009, 08:19 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If you saw some of the questions I've asked about reloading, this one looks PhD level.

You're welcome.
Old November 4, 2009, 08:19 PM   #5
jaguarxk120

You have to look inside of the case, you will see either one flash hole or two smaller flash holes off of center. Use a flash light and lower the room lighting, it's easyier to see into the case that way.

Usually mil. case's have crimped in primers, not just berdan primed case's.

I have case's marked WCC,TW,LC that have crimped primers all US mfgrs.
Old November 4, 2009, 08:45 PM   #6
grumpa72

You have to look inside of the case, you will see either one flash hole or two smaller flash holes off of center. Use a flash light and lower the room lighting, it's easyier to see into the case that way.

Well, do I feel a "duh" here. I never looked at the flash hole until the post about this perhaps being Berdan primed. As I said, I am familiar with Boxer/Berdan priming since I reload pistol ammo. It just never occured to me to look at the flash hole on these cases.
Old November 13, 2009, 04:12 PM   #7
Lavid2002

Wow...that guy cares a lot about his brass....I just throw the stuff away after a few reloads hes all into it lol
Old November 13, 2009, 05:50 PM   #8
rrp

I have found boxer primed surplus 223 brass that have had a smaller flash hole than normal. It was several years ago, but I noted the headstamp. It had a H1 headstamp. It would either bend, break, or pull the depriming pins out of my RCBS die. 223 brass is still fairly cheap, so I would just scrap it and go with another brand. Good luck and good shooting.
Old November 14, 2009, 08:39 AM   #9
lmccrock

Not sure if if matters at this point, but Golden Bear makes brass plated steel cases, not sure if anyone else does.

Last time I looked, Berdan primers are not available in the US right now. So even if you get the deprime/prime tools, there is nothing to prime with.

Lee