The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old January 9, 2008, 05:01 PM   #1
Leif

Threads for Individual Candidates in L&P?

I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but it might be nice to have one dedicated 'monster' thread per candidate in L&P. For example, there could be a Paul thread, a Romney thread, a Clinton thread, etc. I believe that this was done a few years ago when the topic of illegal immigration seemed to dominate that forum, and all posts were moved into one of three categories.

Just a thought. Thanks.
Old January 12, 2008, 12:07 PM   #2
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Leif, since you first brought this up, Wed. afternoon, I tossed this question to the other mods.

The overall impression is that it would not work very well.

Unlike illegal immigration, which was one single topic, threads on specific candidates would have a major problem with staying on topic. It would be darn near irresistible for some to begin comparing one candidates stance on any one issue with another's.

Each thread would, by definition, contain multiple topics as the individual stances are discussed. That would result in multiple conversations going on at the same time.

Given the penchant of a lot of people to not read the entire thread before commenting, can you see where the thread would become rather disjointed and if it went on for any length (which by your proposal, they would), almost unreadable.
Old January 12, 2008, 01:56 PM   #3
Leif

That's a good point, one that I hadn't considered. Thanks.