The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 31, 2002, 08:53 AM   #1
Puppage

New Gun Safe

Having FINALLY convinced my wife that it's about time I stopped using my friends weapons at the range, and get my own piece to go along with my new CCW....what are some good, secure gun safes? I'm looking for a small (can hold 2-3 guns) quick to open unit. I'm really not too concerned with price, but quality is paramount. I see the same old tired add picture in the gun mags. of the Advanced Security Products of AZ. safe, but really haven't heard anything good or bad about it. Any help would be appreciated. BTW, I think getting my CCW here in CT, was easier than convincing my wife (a Brooklyn, NY native) about a gun. Geez!!
Old September 2, 2002, 08:02 PM   #2
TIR

Sorry I won't be much help. I always have my gun with me since I got my CCW. It goes from room to room with me around the house and out the door when I leave. It is how ever the only gun I have loaded in my house all my other guns are locked in a cheap "Stack on" pistol/ammo cabinet to keep any unauthorized handling of them. Hope this helps and good luck convincing her.
Old September 2, 2002, 10:45 PM   #3
VictorLouis

Wal-Mart

is currently stocking a Sentry with pushbutton electronic entry. It comes in several different sizes, but the larget will still fit on your nightstand. It's $99, IIRC.
Old September 3, 2002, 05:03 PM   #4
Puppage

Thanks, Victor
I'll check it out. Thanks for your help.
Old September 3, 2002, 05:19 PM   #5

I'd call a couple of locksmiths/safe dealers around where you live to see what they have - new and used.

A couple of weeks ago I called around, just kinda to see what was out there. Hadn't decided on large or small, handgun or rifle, fire-resistant or non-fire resistant, etc. A couple of days later I got a call from a local safe guy who was picking one up from a widow whose husband had just passed away. She just "wanted to get the durn safe out of the house."

The short story is that I ended up with a 30 cubic foot safe (72"H x 30"W x 24"D) in great condition for $600 delivered.

I'd call around to see if they have used small safes as well as large ones. Let your fingers do the walking...

Good luck,
Old September 3, 2002, 05:22 PM   #6
Puppage

I hadn't thought of that. That's a great idea. Man, this website is awesome.