The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 28, 2013, 06:49 PM   #1
Kevin_d77

XDs Recall

Guess the Shield wasn't the only one with problems!

http://www.eastexshooting.com/Notice.pdf
Old August 28, 2013, 07:03 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Are you kidding me?
Maintain situational awareness
Old August 28, 2013, 07:17 PM   #3
Kevin_d77

Negligent discharges while loading and possible double fires.

Should have heard everyone saying "guess you should have waited for the XDs!" When the Shield issue popped up.
Old August 28, 2013, 09:05 PM   #4
SVTCobra306

Mine's in the serial # range for sure. Looks like I will give Springfield a call, their Customer Service has always been excellent in the past, I expect nothing less this time too, though there might be a bit of lead time I bet.
Old August 28, 2013, 09:15 PM   #5
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Look, folks, let's not get our neckties in a knot.

The likelihood an unsafe incident is almost nil. Springfield is taking extra precaution just like Ruger and S&W has done with their firearms. And they're voluntarily doing this as a preemptive measure.

Inconvenient? Yes. Something to consider when in the market for one? Sure. But let's not blow this out of some ungodly proportion...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old August 28, 2013, 10:15 PM   #6
IdahoG36

My XDs .45 is packed up and ready to ship out. I just submitted the online form with required info, printed the shipping label, and boxed it up. It was very easy to do. I will let you know what my turnaround time is.
Old August 29, 2013, 12:19 AM   #7
TRex99

Mine goes out tomorrow...got 1100 rounds through it without a hiccup, but better safe than sorry.
Old August 29, 2013, 01:12 AM   #8
balyon85

Re: XDs Recall

So they say not to ship mags or accessories, do you still box it up in the case minus those pieces and mail it off?
Old August 29, 2013, 01:42 AM   #9
IdahoG36

That's what I did. The box is very padded and will protect the gun. I just removed all of the accessories from the box, put the red empty chamber flag in the gun, and put it all in a cardboard box with the shipping label attached.
Old August 29, 2013, 07:11 AM   #10
skoro

Well, I suppose that's what I get for buying a new model handgun that hasn't gotten the kinks worked out. My first Springfield that I bought back in June. Also the first recall I've ever had to deal with. I'll send mine in, and hope it gets back to me soon.

For you experienced Springfield owners - is this an anomaly or do they often use customers for product testing?
Old August 29, 2013, 02:11 PM   #11
JMC

I have been considering the purchase of an XDs .45. I have been waiting for my dealer to get them in to make the final decision.
The light strike and failure to return to battery issues have influenced my thinking negatively.
SA has now helped me with that decision...I'll wait a few months before buying any XDs if at all.
Good for SA for stepping up and issuing the recall.
Old August 29, 2013, 03:00 PM   #12
IdahoG36

Quote:
For you experienced Springfield owners - is this an anomaly or do they often use customers for product testing?
This is the first recall that I'm aware of that has affected XD pistols.

Reading some of the comments here, I find it funny that a company does the right thing, and issues a safety recall, and all of a sudden they are in the wrong and their products are junk..... I saw these same types of comments posted when Ruger issued recalls on some of their firearms as well.
Old August 29, 2013, 05:39 PM   #13
Shane Tuttle
Staff

All I can say, Idaho, is consider separating the wheat from the chaff when researching to conclude the reasoning behind statements.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old August 29, 2013, 05:44 PM   #14
Kevin_d77

I agree. I have a XD and a XDm and have no worries about those products whatsoever!
Old August 29, 2013, 05:59 PM   #15
TunnelRat

It's a bad week I guess. Send it in, get it fixed. I've never had an issue with a SA product. In my experience every manufacturer can and will have problems, it's how they remedy them that sets them apart.
Maintain situational awareness
Old August 29, 2013, 07:35 PM   #16
Forrest68

Wow, Had mine for nearly 8 months no issues at all, Will send it in better safe than sorry. Just have to shake my head at all the negative comments, wonder what car these guys drive since every manufacturer of cars has had massive recalls in the last few years. Guess they all ride bicycles now.
Old August 29, 2013, 10:25 PM   #17
IdahoG36

I mailed mine out today with the prepaid FedEx label. It will arrive Tuesday to Springfield due to Labor Day holiday.
I didn't have any problems with the gun, but the chance of a ND when loading the pistol is scary. A double fire on a CCW would be kind of cool. It would make double taps very easy to perform haha
Old August 29, 2013, 10:37 PM   #18
IdahoG36

I haven't been able to find any info yet, but I'm curious to see what parts will be replaced.
I'm trying to think of what could cause the problems they describe in the recall. Maybe the sear and/or the striker assembly? Maybe how they engage each other?
Old August 30, 2013, 04:24 AM   #19
kcub

Springfield is still ignoring their xds elephant in the living room. Many xds are failing to go into battery and have light off center primer strikes 5% of the time. Mine went back, they didn't fix it, I had to take a bath on that deal. Never again will I buy anything Springfield Armory because I know they won't stand behind their products.
Old August 30, 2013, 05:37 AM   #20
ejfalvo

Sent mine via a FedEx small box and bubble wrap. Should be there Tues. Heard 2 week turn around time. Ships right back to me. Perhaps they will throw in a free mag for my (our) trouble.

And I didn't clean it first - oops.
Old August 30, 2013, 05:41 AM   #21
bamiller

My XDS has worked great from day one, I have put several hundreds rounds through it without a hiccup, and is my everyday carry. This is a voluntary recall for something that there is a very rare chance could occur and for which there hasn't even been a reported owner issue. Why is everyone so ready to jump on and dis a manufacturer over a recall? Simply send it back (as I did yesterday) and they'll make it right.
Old August 30, 2013, 08:35 AM   #22
kcub

Good luck. My whole point is they didn't make it right.
Old August 30, 2013, 08:43 AM   #23
zeke

bamiller-there are reported issues of the pistol going full auto when releasing the slide on loaded mag. If memory holds, at least 2 posters had it happen, The SA forum has a section on the xds recall.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-s-di...28-2013-a.html
Old August 30, 2013, 09:12 AM   #24
SVTCobra306

Quote:
Springfield is still ignoring their xds elephant in the living room. Many xds are failing to go into battery and have light off center primer strikes 5% of the time. Mine went back, they didn't fix it, I had to take a bath on that deal. Never again will I buy anything Springfield Armory because I know they won't stand behind their products.

Mine has seen over 500 rounds, with zero percent (0%) light strikes, and with me shooting it, zero failures to return to battery. With other people shooting it, usually for the first time, sometimes it locks to the rear.. because they are pushing on the slide release as they ham-hand the pistol. Not the pistol's fault. Same with some other failures due to limp-wristing. Despite all the reviews that claim it's a pleasant shooter, it is a tiny .45ACP. It barks. It does so controllably, but it is very easy to limp wrist if you are used to shooting a 9mm or a bigger .45 instead.

One disclaimer on the light strikes.. I do not use steel TulAmmo any more. I haven't shot any through my XD-S. One, because I started reloading so if I buy factory ammo, it is always brass cased, Two because everything I have run it through has had failures to fire with it. When ammo was going for too much money, I dumped the handful of boxes of it I had and didn't look back.
Old August 30, 2013, 09:26 AM   #25
tahunua001

I just heard about this yesterday when the manager at my local sporting goods stores informed the guy at the gun counter that they had to box up all their XDS.

this is the first recall that I've ever seen on XDs and given that in the last 5 years Ruger, Glock and S&W have also had major recalls so you really can't fault springfield anymore than the other guys.... considering that they made it through the entire XD and XDM line before they had issues I would say that's a pretty strong track record.