The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 30, 2011, 10:22 PM   #1
grousechaser

Stuck round in the magazine tube

Well I really did it this time. At the range today I fed a 22 long rifle round BACKWARDS into the tube feed and it is very stuck. I can not budge it. Since it's a live round I guess it's off to the gunsmith. Any suggestions for this Winchester Model 63 with the numbnuts owner?
Old December 30, 2011, 11:00 PM   #2
Fleet

Remove the magazine tube, and knock it outta there. That's all the smith will do.
Old December 31, 2011, 09:12 AM   #3
grousechaser

Fleet, the round is stuck right at the end of the tube near the firing pin. The tube can't be removed. The round is jammed in very hard because I it had several rounds behind it and I tried pushing the rod in there not knowing the round was in there backwards. The back of the round is just sitting there staring at me. I'm wondering if I just neutralize the round by drilling through the bottom of it, take the powder out and tap it out?
Old December 31, 2011, 09:49 AM   #4
Fleet

DO NOT DRILL IT!!!!!!!!!!
Disassembly (carefully) is the only way to get it out. If I understand your last post correctly, the round is now in front of the bolt? I ask because you said it's by the firing pin.
I've never seen a mag tube that couldn't be removed on a .22, by the way. What make/model is the gun? If you give me that, I can probably help you get it apart.
Old December 31, 2011, 10:35 AM   #5
grousechaser

Winchester Model 63. The tube feed is on the side of the stock. The rod is at the butt. The tube can not be removed. The round is in as far as it can go. Thanks for your help, in advance.
Old December 31, 2011, 10:57 AM   #6
grousechaser

Here is the Owner's manual. In Figure 8, the round is at the end of the triangular piece which is in the photo at a 45 degreee angle or so.

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIR...chester_63.pdf
Old December 31, 2011, 11:15 AM   #7
Fleet

OK, the tube does come out, but you probably won't need to, the tube is held in by a pin in the rear of the receiver, and once the pin is out the tube comes out towards the front of the gun. You will have to completely disassemble the receiver, though. I'd recommend taking this to a smith, or buying a copy of http://www.amazon.com/Digest-Rimfire...5348051&sr=1-5
Old December 31, 2011, 11:26 AM   #8
grousechaser

Thanks for looking it over. I agree, a smith is the safest way to go.
Old December 31, 2011, 02:42 PM   #9
john323

P/M sent

Southern California
Anything legal, Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns, Black powder