The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 29, 2013, 04:40 PM   #226
Glenn E. Meyer

I think the memory fades effect is more in the camp of the general public. They become excited about an issue and then the news cycle moves on.

But we will see.
Old January 29, 2013, 07:26 PM   #227
Fishing_Cabin

I think those who jump on the bandwagon now supporting such a ban or other restrictions such as has been spoke of by POTUS and various congressmen/women will have already jumped to another issue when the midterms and next presidential election comes around. There is a smaller anti firearm base then the pro firearm base, at least from my viewpoint.

Those who have a long standing interest, such as many here, will continue to remember, and will probably vote accordingly. I feel this is what brings some pause to certain politicians when it comes to supporting, say a new AWB. They loose not only certain voters, but also the campaign money, and other funding, either direct or indirect, which can be used to either support another candidate, or to discredit their future campaign.

Thats why its so important to not only be vocal (but respectful ) about your views, but to remember when it comes time to donate to campaigns, or other political charities, and cast our votes.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:27 PM   #228
SPEMack618

I'm taking a dreadful research design class right now. We were discussing the polling and what not behind gun control today. The issue of social media was brought up. And I put forth the premise, that based on Twitter, people are now more concerned about "The Bachelor" than they are gun control, which is a marked contrast to the immediate post-Sandy Hook back lash.

Another thing I've learned thus far is that your average low information voter doesn't participate in off-year elections, nor do they follow anything other than a straight ticket when voting for President.

Sad yet comforting at the same time.
Old January 30, 2013, 05:10 PM   #229
Jayster

I think we can be certain Obama and crew will be trying to keep the memory fresh. At least fresh enough to get something in the media about it once a week or so.

Seems every time there is ANY kind of shooting in the US now it IS in the news cycle.

I wonder why.............

I said it before and I'll say it again. I'd love to ask Obama or more to the point Rahm Emanuel why he doesn't go door to door and take the guns out of the known criminals hands in Chicago. I mean some of the toughest gun laws in the nation but has set a record for murders in January?

Oh yeah. It isn't the fault of the criminal to folks like them.
It is the fault of the gun.

What hypocrisy.

Last edited by Jayster; January 30, 2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old January 30, 2013, 05:19 PM   #230
Glenn E. Meyer

Once again - it's about hunting and both an old dude GOP and an old dude Democrat doesn't get why there shouldn't be a ban on 30 round mags and cop killer armor piercing bullets.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/op...g-buddies.html

Well, old hunting dudes - every hunting rifle would be banned. I am surprised at the total ignorance of some. And Baker is from TX which immediately makes him a gun expert.
Old January 30, 2013, 07:54 PM   #231
BarryLee

Recently Mr. Obama attempted to improve his firearms credentials by stating how much he enjoyed skeet shooting. It turns out many people with knowledge of the situation say that his statement is just a little off the mark.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...y-sources-say/
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 30, 2013, 08:39 PM   #232
2ndsojourn

Mr. Obama, being a professor of law at one time, should know that the 2A doesn't mention skeet shooting.
Old January 31, 2013, 11:05 AM   #233
lcpiper

Does anybody have an answer to how to keep Teddy from getting a gun while still being able to sell Fred one .

You can't keep Teddy from getting a gun unless you get rid of ALL the guns. It really has been that simple all along. And by the way, if Teddy is really serious he could even take one from a cop.

No law, no matter how draconian, can stop a crime from happening once someone has set their mind to committing a crime.

Did we not learn anything from 10 years in Iraq? People think of Iraq as war, we called it a war. But we spent much time playing policeman and tracking down criminals. Forensics played a huge part and I really doubt Gen. Patton would have ever imagined that one day soldiers would play policeman. Even in a foreign country where our military enjoyed complete technical, numerical, and strategic dominance and had the latitude to do almost anything they wanted in pursuit of the enemy. We were never able to prevent crime from happening. We could stop bombings, killings, kidnappings, thefts, fraud, or any thing else on the list.

We made it more difficult from time to time, caught some before they could pull off their fun. But as long as they continued to pursue their activities they continued to achieve some level of success.

You can not prevent a crime by passing a law.

I find it ludicrous that people listen to this drivel, "if he hadn't had an assault weapon he wouldn't have killed so many". Bull, he could have done worse with a few wine bottles, some gas, diesel, dish-washing fluid, and a Zippo.
Old January 31, 2013, 11:34 AM   #234
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
"The only time he shot skeet was for President's Cup," said the source, referring to a shooting competition tradition involving the presidential Marine guards. "I was there. He stayed for about five minutes, and couldn't leave fast enough."
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2JZT8e7V5

I imagine if he challenged a bunch of Marines to a round of skeet that would likely not come out in his favor.

Old January 31, 2013, 03:57 PM   #235
Glenn E. Meyer

Here's a debunking of Shotgun Joe Biden's blather about double barrel wonder weapons:

http://pjmedia.com/blog/misfire-joe-...inglepage=true

Note it makes the same points about splitting off hunters, the actual use of various guns, etc.

I also note it quotes my buddy, Karl Rehn - who Pax knows quite well. He does an excellent analysis of the shotgun/rifle issue.
Old February 1, 2013, 02:28 AM   #236
mrbatchelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Shooter View Post
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2JZT8e7V5

I imagine if he challenged a bunch of Marines to a round of skeet that would likely not come out in his favor.

Hey, I work with a lifetime democrat from Washington DC who had the Boy Scout Shooting Merit Badge as a kid. I'll bet my buddy could out shoot Barry. While I usually out shoot my friend in our local milsurp iron sight matches he does beat me sometimes.

I doubt Barry could load his own gun.
Old February 1, 2013, 10:09 PM   #237
sigcurious

Sigh...
Quote:
“Nothing we’re going to do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that we will bring gun deaths down to a thousand a year from what we’re at now,” Biden told reporters after meeting with Senate Democrats in the Capitol. “But there are things that we can do demonstrably can do that have virtually zero impact on your Second Amendment right to own a weapon for both self defense and recreation that can save some lives.”
I don't even know where to begin with his statements...
Old February 2, 2013, 09:01 AM   #238
psandk

Presidents gun control proposal

I've never seen a gun wheather it be a rifle, shotgun, pistol, single shot or automatic kill anyone. All gun control should focus on the crime at hand and punish accordingly. Gun control punishes the law abidding citizens of this country and does nothing to control the criminal aspect. We have too many bleeding hearts in this country who feel that when someone commits a crime against another citizen that we can't punish them according to the crime. The legal system (Lawyers, Judges and politicians) are making a fortune defending the guilty and I've never seen where a criminal went and bought a weapon legally. It seems to me that the government just wants to dis-arm the citizens of this country.
Old February 2, 2013, 01:40 PM   #239
Metal god

Quote:
I've never seen where a criminal went and bought a weapon legally.
Altough he was not a criminal yet Adam Lanza bought his firearms legally . I'm not sure if your splitting hairs or what the above quote means .

It has been confirmed that Lanza had some real mental issue as well as the guy in Connecticut . What I'd like to know is how long will it take to get a report on what happened in Newtown . I'd bet dollars to donuts that the investigation will show the mother was trying to get help for her son as best she could . I bet it will show there were not enough programs in place or he did not meet a requirement or two to get the right help . The government does not want that story out there right now because that would show guns are not the real problem . The problem is the system so they will not release the report .

Does it surprise you guys that there has not been one leak of info or anything coming out about the Newtown shooting . Either the investigation is being controlled better then any investigation in U.S. history or what is leaking the media does not want to report .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old February 2, 2013, 03:33 PM   #240
Glenn E. Meyer

If we argue with statements easily shown to be inaccurate, we look like idiots.

Without going through them one at a time, we can find that many of the rampage shooters bought their guns legally.

Cho, Lanza, Loughner, Whitman, etc.

Also, many folks have been claimed to be guilty and aren't. They were prosecuted by mistake or unscrupulous DAs.

We are better with the lawyers than not. If you get picked up for a gun violation - you will be happy to have a lawyer.

So, I suggest rants are not productive on TFL.
Old February 2, 2013, 07:31 PM   #241
psandk

Let me start by apologizing for the mis-quotes in my paragraph. I can see that I am going to have to be more precise with any statements.
My point is that any one person with the mind set to do harm to another individual or group can't be stopped. You can pass all the gun laws that you want and it won't keep the guns out of the hands of people who are determined to do harm to others. Those who choose to be LAW-ABIDING citizens are the ones who pay the price of government control. We have the right to defend and protect ourselves and our families from those individuals who chose to do harm. I need a weapon of equal stature. I would not want to go up against a man who has a AK-47 with a BB gun. It would be like showing up to a gun fight with a knife.
At the end of the day law abiding citizens have the right to choose the weapon that makes them feel safest.
Old February 2, 2013, 07:59 PM   #242
Glenn E. Meyer

In close quarters FOF with guns, it is not useless to have a knife.

Cliches - again.
Old February 2, 2013, 08:07 PM   #243
mrbatchelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god View Post
Either the investigation is being controlled better then any investigation in U.S. history
I believe this like I believe 200K at NASA over the past 60 years all keep mum about the same secret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god View Post
or what is leaking the media does not want to report .
I believe this like I believe the sun came up this morning.
Old February 3, 2013, 06:02 PM   #244
Crankgrinder

Im not sure if this helps, but here it has been reported that lanza did not own any guns legally. HIs mother did, who was shot by lanza himself with those same guns right after he stole them from her. If this is true then his posession of such is security issue in his household, and then another security issue at that school. Ive also watched a few videos on that shooting itself and i find a few things inconsistent to say the least but perhaps that is a topic for another discussion entirely. The reporting on this issue seems very self contradictory at times. The whoe story around this thing is very convoluded and reaks of one sided agenda.
Old February 3, 2013, 06:19 PM   #245
manta49

Quote:
You can not prevent a crime by passing a law.
I have seen similar posts before. The logic of that thinking is there is no point of having any laws as people will brake them.
Old February 3, 2013, 07:01 PM   #246
MLeake

No, manta49, the logic is that asserting a new law will fix the underlying problems being discussed makes no sense.

Existing laws already address: murder; assault; possession of a firearm by a prohibited person; sale of a firearm to a person who one should reasonably believe to be a prohibited person; carrying of a weapon in a no guns zone.

So, obviously, it isn't the existence or lack of laws, in this case.

It may be improper enforcement by law enforcement agencies and prosecutors; it may be poor sentencing decisions by the judiciary; it may be poor mental health care availability; it may be a societal disconnect from the traditional family and neighborhood model.

But none of those will be changed for the better by new gun control laws.
Old February 4, 2013, 12:28 AM   #247
Metal god

Quote:
I'm not sure if this helps, but here it has been reported that lanza did not own any guns legally. HIs mother did
Sorry , my bad I was thinking of the guy in Colorado James Holmes . You are correct .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old February 4, 2013, 04:40 PM   #248
Come and take it.

Is it true that his executive orders will cost 500,000,000 dollars?
Old February 25, 2013, 06:38 PM   #249
Glenn E. Meyer

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...5.html?hp=t2_3

The gist is that the reporting and registry suggestions for the Universal Background checks will sink this for any GOP support. Then time and other problems sink all measures - Diane's will just be submitted and go nowhere.
Old March 27, 2013, 12:11 AM   #250
-Xero-

I didn't do a close read here, but what I see entirely ABSENT in any of these discussions is the legal premise behind Constitutional Law --

Constitutional Civil Liberties are intended to protect the rights of minorities from the tyranny of the majority. Best and most often cited example is desegregation in the Deep South. The MAJORITY of Southerners in the 1950's, 1960s before desegregation supported segregation. That was the majority sentiment.

But SCOTUS ruled that "separate but equal" (1896, Plessy v. Ferguson) is not equitable. 1954 Brown v. Board of Education ruled that separate is inherently unequal. 14th Amendment ruled that segregation was a Constitutional violation.

Second Amendment is part of the Bill of Rights. Bill of Rights is right in there politically/historically with Moses and the Ten Commandments. The Bill of Rights is carved in stone --

Second Amendment has been problematic. SCOTUS has be reluctant to rule on the 2nd because SCOTUS has been leery of the unintended consequences of any 2nd Amendment ruling might have on case law (stare decisis) -- how any ruling by SCOTUS determines subsequent rulings by the court.

We have McDondald v. Chicago, and Heller v. Wash. DC -- Both ruling that RKBA is an individual right, that it's not about a "militia." And Scalia writes that the means of accessible defense is and should be "commonly used handguns." (Not a stretch to argue that "commonly used" should include rifles, and the AR is currently the most common rifle in the USA.)

Doesn't matter if 78% of America's mis-informed, clueless, reactionary gun grabbers think assault weapons are a bad idea and ought to be banned. First of all, they're not "assault weapons." And second (as in Second Amendment) the UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION and BILL OF RIGHTS asserts:

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

-- Doesn't matter how the tyrannical majority feel about this right. It's God given and Constitutionally enacted.