The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 6, 2002, 02:05 PM   #1
MLC

Grizzly medicine?

My friends were having a discussion at work on the topic of what gun to use for grizzly. One fellow said he would take a 10 gauge with buckshot or a 10 gauge slug. Would this be sufficient to safely and humanely down a Grizzly? I voted for a 338WM or a hot 45 70.
Old December 6, 2002, 05:54 PM   #2
eroyd

Depends on what your doing.

For defense only, up close I'd go for big shotgun slugs.

Shooting at close range from a stand over a salmon creek, I might opt for a hot 45-70. Probably in a stainless guidegun.

From a hunting point of view, the 338 would be the most versatile covering the most senarios.
Old December 7, 2002, 02:34 AM   #3
lilbiggun

A 10GA? umm yeah if you can hit what your aiming at. I'm personnally a rifle man.

Between the 3, I would pick the 45/70 first (with good bullets, not the factory crap), its a toss up between the 338 and the 10GA for 2nd place. if the 338 is set up with a short BBL and iron sights, I would pick it over the shotgun. If it had a scope, I would pick the shotgun first.

Myself, I have my bear guns and my hunt guns. My bear guns I use for hiking and close up hunting. My hunt guns I use for longer range hunting. Mainly I use my bear guns and learn where they shoot at longer distances. I've been charged by a bear while carrying a scoped gun before and never again will I be in that situation.