The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 17, 2000, 08:46 AM   #1
Dead

I would like to know what people think about this firearm... Good/Bad???

------------------
Dead [Black Ops]
Old September 17, 2000, 03:07 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Despite having more parts, the trigger group is actually easier to disassemble and work on than the Mini-14. The AC-556 still suffers from the same problem as the Mini-14. While it works, it's light barrel is not suitable for any accuracy other than close in work (well, most full auto is going to be close in anyway).

The three shot burst feature does not reset itself if you were to fire only two shots in the burst. The next pull of the trigger will only produce one shot (and the pull after than a burst).

It's fun but there are better full autos out there. One thing about the Mini14, it's not as easy to swap out barrels as is the M16. If you're planning on full auto fire, expect to wear out that barrel and replace it.
Old September 17, 2000, 07:59 PM   #3
Dead

Thanks for the info!! Looking around to see what is good. I might beable to get a F/A in the very near future.

Just wont beable to spend too much on one..

------------------
Dead [Black Ops]
Old September 17, 2000, 09:27 PM   #4
M16

One major problem with the AC556 is that Ruger will not sell parts for this gun. You will have to form 5 the gun to Ruger for all repairs. The good part is that they are a lot cheaper than an M16 or AR15 registered reciever. I imagine the shortage or repair parts are the reason for this. One other slight problem is the availability and cost of factory hi-capacity magazines.
Old September 17, 2000, 10:15 PM   #5
Dead

yup I dont think I could afford the 7+ grand for a Colt M-16. But the 3k or so for the Ruger I could manage.

------------------
Dead [Black Ops]
Old September 17, 2000, 10:43 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

The trigger group and receiver of the AC556 are not interchangeable with the Mini14. Dimensions were altered to allow for the selector lever which is mounted on the rear of the receiver. However, some parts like the mag catch, mag catch spring, the hammer spring and hammer spring strut are all the same. When it comes to servicing, it's better to send an AC556 back to Ruger anyway. Regarding the barrel, that can be done by any gunsmith with the proper wrench. However, critical to reliability in full auto use of the gun is the gas port size as the shorter the barrel, the larger the port.

Speaking about making a receiver wrench, why can't one be made with a metal bar and JB Weld? The barrel block can be carved from maple (which is better than oak since it won't splinter as readily as oak will). I
Old September 21, 2000, 12:20 PM   #7
NevadaSMG

Mags are the biggest issue with the AC556.
Good ones will run you at least $100.00. There are plenty of junk mags out there and they can be fitted but a good Pre-Ban Rugar mag is the only way to go.
I am looking at 13 inch AC556 with the 3 round burst, full snd semi receiver. It is selling for $3200.00 which is a little high I feel.
OUT

------------------
M/11 Subgun
Old October 2, 2000, 04:06 PM   #8
Bob_L

Someone said earlier that Ruger won't sell parts for the AC556 and that you have to send it back to them for repair... this is true. However, I belive that this is a GOOD thing. The AC556 is one of only two machine guns that I can think of where a normal person like you or I can get factory service (the other being the Vector Uzi which also runs about 3 grand).

-bob
Old October 4, 2000, 10:41 PM   #9
Dizzipator

Hey, didn't the "A-Team" use AC-556's?

Those guys fired like a million rounds and I don't think they ever hit anybody!

(Yes, this is supposed to be silly.)
Old October 5, 2000, 08:12 AM   #10
fal308
Staff Alumnus

They used KAC 556s. Folding stocks.
Old October 5, 2000, 12:37 PM   #11
Ken Dunham

The Ciener 22 kit works quite well in full auto. You won't be able to load mags fast enough to please. The Ranch scope mount puts a scoutscope away from the action and allows binocular target acquisition. There are plenty of available aftermarket options such as the Choate folding stock. For the studly govt model an M8 bayonet is an elegant, but inexpensive fashion accessory.
Old January 27, 2008, 09:59 AM   #12
flusher

a vintage AC556K, where K is for folding stock and not stainless