The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 8, 2002, 03:08 PM   #1
Alex Johnson

Reproduction Spencer

Does anyone own one of the reproducton Spencer rifles that are currently being offered? I've been interested in one for quite awhile but I have to admit the 44 Russian chambering didn't interest me all that much, but I just heard that someone is coming out with one chambered for 56-52 (or 56-50?) and that does interest me. So what's your impresson of these rifles in terms of quality and shootability? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old July 9, 2002, 04:27 AM   #2
Mike Weber

I don't own one myself I have been very interested in a Spencer Carbine Replica firing a cartridge close to the original caliber. I have heard rumors of a Spencer replica being offered in a .50 caliber centerfire chambering. What I have been hearing is that the brass is formed from cut down 50-70 Govt. brass and the cartridge is very much like the 56- 52 Spencer in terms of cartridge geometry, only in a center fire. I'm not sure who the manufacturer is I heard these rumors a couple of years ago. One thing that I do remember was that these were expensive, arount $1500. For that price the quality had better be good.
A place for firearms enthusiasts to congregate.
Old July 9, 2002, 05:17 AM   #3
Steven Mace

Mike, the L. Romano Rifle Co. offers a replica of the Spencer 1860 Carbine chambered in .56-50 Spencer Centerfire. The cases are formed from .50-70 Gov't brass as you stated. But the price for the rifle is now over $3,000.

Steve Mace
Old July 9, 2002, 10:04 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Taylor's Firearms also has a Spenser replica http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/1865.html
Old July 9, 2002, 11:43 AM   #5
Alex Johnson

Taylor's reproduction looks very nice and the 56-50 would certainly be an improvement over the 44 Russian chambering I've seen in the past. Might have to save up for awhile and make that purchase. One note of Interest, I have before me right now a Sears and Roebuck catalog from 1900 they list surplus 56-52 Spencer rifles with a box of 25 cartridges for $3.65 and additional hundred cartridges would run you $1.90. To put that to comparison the same catalog sells a Harrington & Richardson's revolver in 32 caliber for $4.10. I've seen lot's of H&R revolvers in 80% + condition sitting on gunshow tables for $75-100, how many Spencer rifles have you seen for that price? Just strikes me odd how some things escalate immensily in value while others fade.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old July 9, 2002, 04:24 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

From what I've read on the Civil War gun sites, the repros won't feed from a Blakeslee box tube.
Old July 10, 2002, 07:33 AM   #7
Mike Weber

Thanks for the links Steven and Fal308:
I'm wondering if the Taylor &Company replica is also a centerfire. I had seen their website and wasn't sure if theirs was a rimfire or centerfire. Of course it wouldn't make much sense to produce one in a rimfire these days. I would love to produce great clouds of smoke with one of these at a CAS match
Old July 10, 2002, 12:04 PM   #8
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I've handled the Spenserr at the last two SHOT Shows and was impressed by the looks of the gun. Don't know how it shoots though.
Yes the caliber is centerfire. Don't recall the specifics on the brass offhand though. I'll have to look around for the catalogue I picked up from the SHOT Show from Taylor's for more info on them.
Old July 10, 2002, 01:37 PM   #9
Jim Watson

If a Taylor won't load from a Blakeslee quickloader, there are going to be some irritated customers with the Taylor repro of that accessory.

You would have to check with SASS to be sure (if your club is affiliated) but a .56- .52 might not be allowed as a main match gun, it is not a revolver caliber. That is one reason why they are making them in .44 R, so you can use them. The other reason is that not many folks would be willing to pay for .56-.52 CF or to tool up to load it.
Old July 10, 2002, 04:22 PM   #10
Alex Johnson

I don't think I would use it in a CAS match, but it would sure be fun to roll a doe with one in November. I would imagine the 56-50 would have plenty of power for a shortrange shot on a Whitetail.
- Mark Twain
Old June 11, 2004, 07:28 AM   #11
colonel_37th

Reproduction Spencer Rifles

If the market will support $3200 for a Romano Spencer manufactured in .56-50 Spencer centerfire that costs >$5 per round, would the market support an exact replica Spencer carbine in .56-50 Spencer centerfire if the cost was $650-$750 for the carbine and $1-$2 per round for cartridge components (bullet and casing)?

The Spencer would be reverse-engineered from a pristine original Spencer and marked as the original. The casings would NOT be cobbled-up from some other caliber, but specifically produced to the exact Spencer specifications. The guns would be produced on modern computerized milling machines by a major firearms manufacturer and finished as the originals.

I know the market is there for such a weapon as well as other Old West and Civil War weapons produced to be as authentic as possible (not like the "near-miss" Italian weapons). We are also exploring producing such blackpowder BATF "curio" pieces as the 1865 Henry in a .44 centerfire, the 1866 Winchester, the 1871 Colt conversion, the S&W Schofield, the 1873 Colt, and the 1875 Remington in a .44 centerfire "obsolete" caliber for which we would manufacture ammunition components at reasonable prices.

What that means to you is being able to order your rifles and pistols as well as your ammunition components through the mail without BATF regulation or FFL requirements.

Help me convince the investors I have waiting! Support me and I will definitely do my best to support you and your hobby!

Email me at: [email protected]
Call me at: 228-762-2573
Write me at:

The War Gallery
P.O. Box 2424
Pascagoula, MS 39569

http://37thtexas.org
http://thewargallery.com
Old June 11, 2004, 08:00 PM   #12
Mike Weber

Well in the time since we started this thread "which was quite a while back". I've since had the opportunity to handle and shoot a couple of the repro Spencer Carbines, One of them in .44 Russian and the other in 56-52 centerfire. You don't see a lot of these guns at CAS matches for a couple of reasons number one being price combined with the seven round magazine capacity. Most SASS main match rifle stages are ten shot stages meaning that an additional three rounds would have to be loaded into the buttstock magazine, against the clock. These rifles are quite a bit slower handling than the Winchester and Henry Clones, the Spencer action requires that the hammer be manually cocked to fire each round. The .44 Russian chambering is the only Spencer chambering available now that is Legal under SASS rules as a main match rifle. Both carbines that I shot were reasonably accurate for a weapon of this type and they were both fun shooters both functioned flawlessly. As for myself I wouldn't care to have to deal with the short magazine capacity issue in a match rifle so one of these is out for me as far as a CAS main match rifle. I really liked the 56-52 chambered Spencer, the ballistic performance was very close to that of the Smith Carbine and in a repeater to boot. They are fun guns to play around with, I'm not so sure that I would be willing to shell out three grand for one though.
Old December 13, 2004, 12:51 AM   #13
GlennH

Love that Spencer

Spencer people? I don't believe it. I thought I was the only one. I have an original '65 rifle(not carbine) in 56-50 (same as 56-52 Crittenden & Tibbals design, they though the Springfield Armory didn't have enough crimp on the 56-50, it is a cooler looking round) On my second CF breech block. Don't believe that drop in stuff. If you want to fit one, let me know and I'll tell you how. It's a real hoot to shoot the thing. Not much recoil but it sure punches big holes. I've got a clock and will post my data later. Cartridge length is critical (1.6" doesn't work, 1.55 does) and so is a firm hand. You can load them longer and single load. If you single load, drop the lever just far enough to get the shell in, if the extractor moves back, it's too far.
Old December 13, 2004, 09:50 PM   #14
4V50 Gary
Staff

At one of the Civil War boards (either Civil War Guns or N-SSA) it's mentioned that Romano Rifle company in Penneville, NY is winding down production of their Spencer. Too much work.