The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 28, 2013, 12:42 PM   #1
turkeybuzzard

Primers?

Will primers and 22 ammo ever be back in stock? Maybe that is how the gov is going to control guns.No primers, no reloading, there already is almost no ammo in any of the local stores where I live.
Old January 28, 2013, 01:09 PM   #2
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
Maybe that is how the gov is going to control guns.
"The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Run for cover!"

Just kidding, of course. The government has nothing to do with this situation other than to say they're (the White House) going to outlaw "assault" rifles. The panic re 22 rimfire is the nuttiest thing I've ever seen.

It will get back to normal. Just be patient.

BTW, they're not going to outlaw anything. Millions of their constituents are arming themselves and DC is definitely listening.
Old January 28, 2013, 01:57 PM   #3
Joe_Pike

I hear Federal bulk .22lr is going for $60-$80 for a 550 round box. I've got about 15 boxes. How many do you need. (Just kidding. I can't bring myself to sell ammo).
Old January 28, 2013, 01:59 PM   #4
vito

For a few weeks I could not find any bricks of 22lr at any of my normal local sources, nor could I find small pistol primers ANYWHERE nationally (online). But last week things appear to be getting back to "normal" and I was able to buy both 22lr and a few thousand small pistol primers, albeit at a higher price than it had been. Don't panic and be a bit patient. Don't feel you have to be a hoarder, but it is prudent to build up a reasonable stock of supplies to avoid being subject to short term shortages or public panic.
Old January 28, 2013, 08:43 PM   #5
turkeybuzzard

The problem is that my supplies are getting low. I used to shoot about four times a week after work. I quit when things got expensive and the economy kept getting bad and even worse now. Had planned on buying some primers and other reloading stuff, as well as a couple cases of 22lr. Money got tite so that didn't happen. All the ammo places are working 24/7 to get the ammo out but none is trickling down to my area. Truck driver that delivers to my work says the same thing. There is a Winchester in his home town that is working 24/7 and still no ammo. It's going somewhere, other than here or even two states over!
Old January 28, 2013, 08:59 PM   #6
StukaJU87

Glad I talked my wife into letting me buy a second ammo can with 2100 22lr from cabelas back when they had it for $70. It was a hard sell at the time since I had bought one a couple weeks earlier. Shame I couldn't convince her to let me get more. Lol
Old January 28, 2013, 09:16 PM   #7
turkeybuzzard

Yea, all I got left is a 2000 round case of 22lr federals that shoot great in my target rifle + about 800 rounds that will not last long if I shoot on a regular schedule. Other than that all I have is a miss and match of 22's to plink with. My main concern is primers and powder. Even the good powder is in low stock.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:44 AM   #8
UtopiaTexasG19

At this point I would assume that the vast majority of primer production is going to the large bullet manufacturers so those of us that re-load may have quite a wait before our vendors have them back in stock on a regular basis.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:59 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

No. You will never see primers again.

Just as we never saw primers again after the 1992 shortage, and just as we never saw primers again after the 2008-10 shortage.

People who SAY that they purchased primers after 1992 or 2010?

Liars. Damned liars, the bunch of them.

"Maybe that is how the gov is going to control guns.No primers, no reloading, there already is almost no ammo in any of the local stores where I live."

Yep, you're right. Hundreds, if not thousands, of undercover gubmint agents have swarmed gunshops and gunshows buying up every last gun, round of ammo, and all of the components that they can find.

And the money to pay for all of that? It came from the UN!

Once all the guns and ammo are gone, those gubmint purchasers are going to don their baby blue helmets and PUT THEIR JACKBOOTS ON YOUR NECK! ON YOUR NECK!!! AND MAKE YOU GROVEL TO THE ONE WORLD GUBMINT!

For pete's sake. Why do you think that guns, ammo, and components are in short supply right now?

Could it have ANYTHING to do with gun rights advocates buying like mad becase:

A) Sandy Hook?

B) Obama won a second term in office?

and

C) Because of A plus B, there are now VERY strong efforts being made to push more draconian gun control, and that has gun rights advocates in a tizzy?

Please tell us that the first thing through your mind was NOT "IT'S THE GUBMINT!!!"

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Last edited by Mike Irwin; January 29, 2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old January 29, 2013, 09:48 AM   #10
Chief Engineer

It can be a bit fustrating for some, but it kind of makes me feel warm and fuzzy to know, from coast to coast millions of good people have made the shelves bare.
Old January 29, 2013, 10:36 AM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

At some point folks will run out of money and at some point political reality will kick in. Then, once again, the shelves will bear.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:03 AM   #12
Glenn E. Meyer

When your Visa or MC card bill makes your heart stop - all those ARs will be back on the used market. And ammo purchasing will cease.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:14 AM   #13
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
Could it have ANYTHING to do with gun rights advocates buying like mad
I've been out watching these people. It's not just "gun rights advocates."

I think it's also people who don't understand what the fight is all about, but they're just buying stuff before they can't buy it anymore.

Seriously, in about six months there might be some real bargains to be had.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:49 AM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I think it's also people who don't understand what the fight is all about, but they're just buying stuff before they can't buy it anymore."

Yes, good point. There are a lot of people getting into the market for the first or second time, just as there were in 1992-94 and 2008-2010.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:49 AM   #15
sigcurious

It might help to give your general location TB. Around me(Vegas), there are pockets of stuff, then again around me there are more shops than you can shake a stick at. A lot of them that do heavy(for a gun shop) advertising, others that simply rely on being known by locals. Most of the ammo/primers I've found have been at the small but dedicated customer base shops.

I still haven't found any .22lr yet though, plenty of reports of it coming back in stock at places like walmart, but I never get there in time.