The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 26, 2009, 07:09 PM   #1
DiscoRacing

Letting others use your favorite deer hot spot

Fourth day of our gun deer season here... the coldest so far also... I let my boy take temporary residence in my favorite blind. I spend four mornings there with no luck at all. This morn in one hour he bags an 8 point with a perfect rack and great body size. Guess Its just my luck huh.. Does anyone else give up their favorite hotspot to another shooter??!!
Old November 26, 2009, 09:23 PM   #2
shortwave

Yes. Every year my brothers come down and draw straws over both my fav. hunting spots as one is a good morning spot, the other good evening spot. I put my camo`d striped shirt on and referee. Usually the first one to score talks alot of smack to the other. Starts Monday, can`t wait.
Old November 27, 2009, 12:14 AM   #3
Huntergirl

Naw ah, no. Let 1 person, then next year he takes 2 others to your spot, and then they start making camp with a bunch. Seen it happen waaaay too many times. It invariably happens, naw ah, never, unless its kids, then yes, because you want them to succed. But grownup friends should never be told where your hot spot is, unless you have been going there for years with a buddy, who you can blackmail into keeping a secret. OK....just kiddin.
Old November 27, 2009, 02:08 AM   #4
Blue

Others

Sure.

No big deal for me. Someone would need to be crazy to poach my territory.

Let a few folks into the sweet spot from time to time.
Old November 27, 2009, 08:34 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I will put a buddy on a good recently scouted spot. Since I am on private land most of the time, I ask permission of the owner and it is granted. The kicker is... I don't do this with anyone local due to abuses. I just do this for folks from this board or others who live out of town.
Brent
Old November 27, 2009, 09:35 AM   #6
cnimrod

Well not that my hot spots are that hot but, sure, esp since I'm usually playing host to less experienced hunters. I'm trying to build more hunters. We share in the take anyway.
Old November 27, 2009, 09:58 AM   #7
Wild Bill Bucks

My oldest son, after several days at his favorite spot without seeing anything, told his younger brother, he could hunt his spot the next morning. He was going to have to work that day, and gave him permission to hunt the spot.

His younger brother went to the spot the next morning, and 15 minutes after daybreak, shot a 18 pointer, that weighed 135lbs. A really nice buck for this area. Needless to say the older brother was P.O.'d but really couldn't say much since he had given him permission to start with.

The very next season, the same thing happened with his brother-in-law, who had never shot a deer in his life. He shot a 12 pointer from the same stand.

This year I noticed, that when they asked him to hunt the stand, he told them that they could rent the spot for $50.00 a day.

Think he learned something ?
Old November 27, 2009, 11:22 AM   #8
cornbush

Depends on who it is. My honey holes are usually far from the road or completely overlooked by other hunters. If I can trust them not to gab about it or take 5 more people in, sure.
Old November 27, 2009, 07:35 PM   #9
James R. Burke

I would to a relative or someone very close, but I learned my lesson the hard way. Done it one year for a freind. The following years he must have brought in ten differnt people. Never again.
Old November 27, 2009, 08:55 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I let my boy take temporary residence in my favorite blind. I spend four mornings there with no luck at all. This morn in one hour he bags an 8 point with a perfect rack and great body size. Guess Its just my luck huh.. Does anyone else give up their favorite hotspot to another shooter??!!
Well.... let's see. Last year, after days of me not seeing a deer, my cousin sits in my stand. Boom, big 6-point. This year, I sit for the first half of opening day, didn't see a deer. My uncle goes there for an hour. Boom. 8-Point. Yesterday morning, I sit there for 2 1/2 hours, never see a deer. My uncle goes there again. One hour. Boom. 7-point. I'm starting to hate this game. Oh... did I mention that these are 3 of the only 4 racked bucks ever taken on our property? The other one you ask? Yeah, my uncle shot that one too.
Old November 27, 2009, 11:19 PM   #11
WIN71

Around here there are three topics never discussed.
Hunting location
Fishing location
Firewood location
Old November 28, 2009, 03:06 PM   #12
langenc

I recall a long time ago a friends wife made arrangements for US to take her friends husband fishing- 'they have been catching quite a few'.

We didnt catch any that night as ne went to a different spot.. no outsiders to our fishing spot by either of us.
Old November 28, 2009, 06:01 PM   #13
Remingtonvadeer

I tell you I use to let a Couple guys hunt in some Good spots of mine! ( Not my HOTSPOT though), But until a guy this year Guess he invited one of he's friends down or something, They tore my treestand up ( homemade steel) but very nice It was! but they wrecked that I guess they were drinking cause there was beer cans everywhere an there were 2 nice groundhogs shot an left there! So I got on the phone with the GW, Smith (great buddy of mine an Hunting partner for couple of years!) An told him bout the situation an he is gonna be watching the stand for me! just ticks me off!