The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 25, 2009, 01:27 PM   #1
300magman

Low $ Hunts for non residents

As outdoorsmen outselves we probably know all the best things to hunt and places to hunt them in our area of the world, so I am posting this here looking for input.

The area I live in is very blessed to have big deer, moose, and bear BUT you only get to hunt 1 deer per year, 1 bear per year, and drawing a moose tag can take 10 years.

I want to hunt MORE, but I can't afford to travel the world staying at expensive lodges and buying $500 licences.

Does anyone know of some fun, low $ hunts in the northern part of the US (mid continent to eastern seaboard) or Canada....and these are "non resident hunts" of course, so that often makes a big difference in cost.

I'll love anything with a high success rate even if the animals are not trophy book material. Deer, bear, turkey, hogs....its All good
Old September 25, 2009, 02:23 PM   #2
L_Killkenny

Coyote!!!! Iowa isn't cheap for non-residents but many other states will get you a license for a song.

LK
Old September 25, 2009, 02:43 PM   #3
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day.
If anybody made the efort to get to my area I would sort somthing out for them.
Old September 25, 2009, 03:38 PM   #4
davlandrum

For some reason I think that Wyoming Antelope is a pretty good value, but I could have just made that up...

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old September 26, 2009, 07:02 PM   #5
srt 10 jimbo

Can Hunt Hog in Florida and you dont need a license.
Old September 26, 2009, 08:09 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

300, Our 10 day out of state permit is very affordable... around here you are best served to also buy an "Eglin permit" and hunt "the reservation". I think this grants you a 2 per day limit as a resident gets. 4 total in possession but fully butchered you can have all the venison you want i think.
INVITE EXTENDED...
Brent
Old September 26, 2009, 08:25 PM   #7
72gator

Pennsylvania and Virginia have vast amounts of public land available. NR licenses are around $100 for deer in Pa. I was searching for guides a couple of years back for the Shenendaoh Nat. Forest region of Western Va and $700 was a realistic price for a guided hunt. The Adirondack Mts of NY have guided hunts starting at $500. Also, for something different, the Eastern Shore of Maryland has Sika deer available. Not very expensive guided, but there is some public land there as well. Just a couple thoughts.
Old September 26, 2009, 08:27 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

$7oo bones? Heck, you buy the beer and groceries and I will lead in any one...
Brent
Old September 26, 2009, 08:33 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Adirondack deer hunts are anything but high percentage. Some areas of NY might have public land success rates as high as 20%, maybe. Guided hunts may have higher success rates but doubtfully in the adirondacks. The mountains have the lowest deer population in all of NY.
Old September 26, 2009, 08:36 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If a Boone and Crockette record is your seek than my area is tuff going but if brown deer down is paramount... we got numbers...
Brent
Old September 27, 2009, 03:59 PM   #11
L_Killkenny

Hey Brent, German Shepard sized don't count! LOL Heck, Aren't Iowa coon bigger than FL deer?

LK
Old September 27, 2009, 04:06 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

LK, Yeah we have a crap load of 125-150 pound "basket rack" bucks But we have our 160-180 pound "bruisers" as well
Brent
Old September 27, 2009, 08:11 PM   #13
ChiefMuzz

Pennsylvania

You should make PA a regular stop for hunting. You can get a small game/fall turkey/spring gobbler/buck tag for $100 and throw in another $20 for your doe tag. I don't know off the top of my head what a NR bear tag is but I'm guessing probably around $30. We have the highest population of deer outside of Texas, and enough public hunting land to satisfy whatever area you like to hunt. Make a couple trips throughout the summer to find a nice Gameland and scout where you want to hunt and all you have to do if find a comfortable hotel to stay while you're here. Where I hunt we have a good number of NR hunters that we see year after year, mostly from WV, OH, and NY.

Last edited by ChiefMuzz; September 27, 2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: edited to add info on NR hunters.
Old September 27, 2009, 09:53 PM   #14
Crankylove

Quote:
For some reason I think that Wyoming Antelope is a pretty good value, but I could have just made that up...
I think so too. My two non-resident Doe/Fawn tags this year were under $100 combined (including the draw fees) A Buck Antelope tag wil run you about $285 I believe, but, for a non-resident tag, thats still a pretty good deal.
Old October 1, 2009, 04:56 PM   #15
300magman

Thanks for the good tips guys, I will have to look into some of those. The florida idea might be doable for me, a friends father has a winter house down there somewhere. He picked it up for pennies from a bamk forclosure sale.
The deer will look tiny compared to what I usually hunt, but hey, sometimes its fun to hunt for numbers over trophies... and I think hogs would be great fun. Someone said there is no licence required, is there a bag limit? or any particular area in florida to go after them that is more suited to a non resident wondering around looking for hogs to shoot?
Old October 12, 2009, 08:46 PM   #16
Jack O'Conner

Maryland. 10 deer per license but two must be bucks.

Numerous parklands and state forests are open to hunting. We hunt with our bows at Pretty Boy Reservoir NW of Baltimore. Shotgun slug guns and muzzle-loaders are common in Maryland management zones. This photo was taken at a county park that I choose to keep to myself. HINT: best access to remotest portion by canoe.

Maryland is friendly to non-residents. Deer season is quite long. Check it out!!

Jack

Old October 12, 2009, 09:45 PM   #17
thallub

Come to OK for a hog hunt. Hog hunters do not need a license here.
Old October 15, 2009, 08:40 AM   #18
300magman

wow, you guys have some great suggestions...no licence hogs, 10 deer to a season...I am SO jealous!
Once I start handloading I might even be able to afford the gas to come down and check some of these places out