The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 11, 2006, 12:53 AM   #1
Dj Dust

Where to buy a reloading press?

I like the Lee turret press because it is pretty much all I'll need and it is relatively cheap. What I want to know is.......Where is the cheapest? would love to hear about some website or store I haven't heard of.
Old December 11, 2006, 01:51 AM   #2
jhgreasemonkey

This is the cheapest I have heard of..........http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=820810
Old December 11, 2006, 01:53 AM   #3
jhgreasemonkey

oops that is the kit. Are you looking for just the press of a starter kit?
Old December 11, 2006, 09:32 AM   #4
railroader

http://www.fmreloading.com/
Old December 11, 2006, 09:50 AM   #5
frankxd

Get the Lee Classic turret press. It is a much nicer press than their standard turret press. Midway is a good place to buy from.
Old December 11, 2006, 02:58 PM   #6
LAK Supply

I agree with the Midway suggestion. . . . I sell reloading presses, and although I hate to recommend other businesses, Midway usually beats my prices and they have a larger selection.

I would check out Dillon Precision as well; if you want a press that you can use to pump out a volume of rounds for years to come, Dillon may fit your need. They are a bit more expensive than a lot of presses out there, but they are well worth it.
Old December 11, 2006, 03:51 PM   #7
SIGSHR

I have gotten all my reloading equipment at local dealers, on the off chance you get something defective or missing a part it's much easier to exchange,
plus buying locally is cash and carry.
Old December 11, 2006, 05:06 PM   #8
Gib

If you buy a Dillon, it's guaranteed for life. If you ever have a question a real person answers the phone and explains the answer to you. They are located in Scottsdale, AZ not Asia or some place I've never heard of.
Old December 11, 2006, 05:35 PM   #9
BigO01

I agree with the Lee Classic turret as your spent primers are directed down a shaft which you can attatch a plastic tube and direct into a trash can .

With the standard turret press they bounce all over the place and make a huge mess to be cleaned up when you're done .

Midway is the way to go for two reasons 1 they charge actual shipping not some inflated rate and make a profit on it and 2 their customer service is as good as it gets if they ever make a mistake or you get a problem product .

I bought some 1911 magazines from them and had problems with one causing jams 1 telephone call and they shipped a replacement and told me I could even keep the problem one to use as a range magazine . Last year I even bought a shooting video and to my surprise when I opened the case it was empty , the manufacture apparently didn't put a disck in it , again 1 call to Midway and they shipped me a replacement no questions asked .
Old December 11, 2006, 05:48 PM   #10
Dj Dust

Thanks to everybody I probably will order from midway I have never had any problems with them I was just hoping to find something cheaper but they are pretty cheap
Old December 11, 2006, 06:01 PM   #11
hpg

This is the Handguns:Seminiauto Section.............

Why isn't this posted in the Handloading and Reloading section?????????? hpg
Old December 11, 2006, 09:57 PM   #12
railroader

If you get the Lee turret press get the auto index version and get the primer feeder which makes loading much faster. The primer feeders are all plastic and looks cheap but they work. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=548630 Also if you get the primer feeder from midway you will need to order a riser for the auto disk powder measure. What happens is the powder measure will hit the primer feeder when the turret rotates if you don't have the riser. http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...g/powhan1.html

Mark
Old December 12, 2006, 04:29 AM   #13
stevelyn

Get a C&R and you can knock a few more bucks of that price.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old December 19, 2006, 03:23 AM   #14
goose2w1

http://www.wideners.com/
Old December 19, 2006, 08:35 AM   #15
9x19

I haven't ordered from Midway in years... but Wideners and www.natchezss.com are a couple of favorites.
Old December 19, 2006, 10:40 AM   #16
Ausserordeutlich

If you get the Lee, just be sure and poke yourself in the eye with a sharp stick right before every reloading session, so you'll know how the next hour or so of your life will feel.
Old December 19, 2006, 02:30 PM   #17
AngusPodgorney

I've been using the Lee Classic Turret press for about three months now and it works fine for me. Extra turrets make caliber change literally a snap. The price was right, the results are excellent and it can be used as a single station or as a semi-progressive.

Good luck!

Ed
Old December 19, 2006, 03:41 PM   #18
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Thread moved.

This properly belongs in Handloading and Reloading forum. Sorry I hadn't noticed it previously.

Johnny
Old December 19, 2006, 04:25 PM   #19
Mike Irwin
Staff

"If you get the Lee, just be sure and poke yourself in the eye with a sharp stick right before every reloading session, so you'll know how the next hour or so of your life will feel. "

I've been using a Lee Turret press for over a decade. The old-style 3 hole turret was pretty worn near the end, and it was a true stick in the eye adventure.

Earlier this year, though, I got a Lee Classic 4-hole turret.

This is the press that Lee should have made 20 years ago, or more.

It is an incredible leap forward for Lee.

I finally broke down and ordered the small and large primer feeders, but using the single primer ram on this thing was not a chore at all. Simply put the primer in the ram and the action of the press automatically tips the ram forward to seat the primer.

Then there's spent primer handling. Flawless, so far.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 19, 2006, 10:05 PM   #20
BigJakeJ1s

Wow, we have a guy asking where to get a good deal on an inexpensive turret press that is all he needs, and we have responders telling him he needs a Dillon!

I can understand recommendations to look up to the Lee classic turret, but a full blown progressive from the most expensive manufacturer?

Unbelievable...

Andy
Old December 19, 2006, 10:14 PM   #21
Shoney

Midway is very good, but they are not the lowest price. FM Relaoding is usually the best price on Lee.

You should check all the other sites (except the blue bufoon battalion site ballyhooed by the lotsa bullroad bozzos ). They all have monthly specials which can be very good buys.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old December 21, 2006, 09:16 AM   #22
Mike P. Wagner

Quote:
and we have responders telling him he needs a Dillon!
Actually, I'd suggest that he hang around people who just bought a Dillon and see if they want to get rid of their "old" press. A buddy at work gave me a Lyman turret press. Tjat was a pretty cool way to get a press. He's a nice guy, and it's not like you are every going to wear out one of the top three (RCBS, Lee, Lyman) presses. At least not the cast iron ones.

I am not interested in becomining a bullet factory. I spent a couple of hours relaoding my first 100 rounds, and that was pretty enjoyable time for me. I'm not involved in any of the shooting sports, so I don't need 10,000 rounds a weekend. I suspect that I will be happy with the Lyman Turret press for quite a while.

Finding some folks who reload and hanging out with them is invaluable - not only for the chance of a free press. I ended up with a lot of little questions, and it was convenient to have folks around who had done some reloading.

Mike P. Wagner
Old December 21, 2006, 12:29 PM   #23
calvinike

Redding and Lyman make very good turret presses.