The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 18, 2006, 01:39 AM   #1
bbcode3

WTK: Info. on FA Uzi's

Guys,

I see posts to stay away from registered bolt Uzi's. Other than not being able to change calibers and the bolt being the "registered" part (ie. losing the entire gun if the bolt goes KABOOM); what is the advantage of the registered receiver.

I understand the RR is more desirable; I just want to know why???

What are price differences as well????

Also, is the bolt married to the host???? I have a Form 1 which has the serial # of the semi auto host on the ATF form (it's a slotted bolt gun).
Old February 18, 2006, 09:34 AM   #2
MeekAndMild

One big advantage of a RR gun is that they won't neccessarily put you in jail if you buy a parts kit which contains a spare bolt.

Another advantage is that registered receiver guns are 'original' in terms of collectability. A lot of people think 'Frankengun' when they hear of a registered bolt gun.

In terms of function, the Vector/Group RR guns are heat treated so they advertise them as difficult to wear out.

I don't know how you'd ever wear out a FA bolt as basically it is a block of steel, but I suppose that it could be done, especially the firing pin. So if the firing pin ever wears down on a RR gun the owner can just throw the bolt away and put in the one from their spare parts kit or they can send their bolt to the gunsmith for a new firing pin. How do you send a registered bolt to the gunsmith? Do you make an appointment to bring it in and hold it in your lap while he does firing pin surgery on it?
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old February 18, 2006, 09:49 AM   #3
shaggy

Meek has covered it pretty well - the perception that a registered receiver gun is more correct is a big factor as well as the fact that it would be more difficult to repair a bolt than a receiver. There's usually about a $1000 price difference between registered bolt guns and registered receiver guns. Personally I'd stick with the receiver gun. I don't so much care about what is more like the original or what is factory correct as long as it shoots well. The problem with the bolt guns is that if somethng happens to the bolt, it can be difficult to get it repaired. You can form 5 the broken bolt to a gunsmith so they can temporarily possess it for repairs, but who do you send it to? Since the firing pin is machined into the bolt face, if it broke or wore down you'd probably have to reweld it and then carefully mill it back. Considering the space in which there is to work on a bolt face, I'd think thats some very tight (and difficult) work. The chances of breaking a bolt (registered or not) is probably very slim and I've never heard of it happening, but I would think its at least possible.
Old February 18, 2006, 02:10 PM   #4
Samuel_Hoggson

I would add that you may have failed to appreciate the desirability of caliber conversion kits. The .22 kit is so much fun I bought a 2nd RR just to have a dedicated FA .22 Uzi. I can shoot all day for minimal money. No need for a suppressor - shoot right behind the house without disturbing the animals.

Sam