The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 10, 2001, 02:38 AM   #1
4thHorseman

Please help

I just purchase a Winchester model 1300 with hi visability sights. My son and I went to the range to practice before we go hunting in a few weeks. When I was firing about the 20th round, the sight flew off. The entire front sight just came off of the barrel. The gun smith said he would not be able to fix it for about three to four weeks. I need it in about two weeks to go hunting.
Can you advise me on what to attach the front sight with?
Thanks
Old December 10, 2001, 05:14 AM   #2
K80Geoff

How is the sight attached. Does it screw in, does it dovetail into the barrel, does the barrel have a rib, is is glued on???

If your barrel has a rib you may be able to use one of those magnetic sights that attach to the rib. Check out the www.shotgunsports.com website. Or try one of these:

www.uni-dot.com
www.truglosights.com
www.hivizsights.com

If it is dovetailed like the Remington sights a Gunsmith will have to mount it, unless you want to try doing the job with a drift punch.

If the sight screws into the barrel or rib, you can get replacement sights that will screw into the barrel. Try www.brownells.com

Maybee you should look for another Gunsmith???
Old December 10, 2001, 09:10 AM   #3
4thHorseman

It appears as if it was glued on. I can't see any slots or screw holes. The barrel is not ribbed. I see what you are tring to tell me about the dove tail though. The plastic dove tail piece is still in the metal front sight, but the metal front sight assembly came off. Looks if the adheasive had come off.?.?.
Old December 10, 2001, 11:04 AM   #4
4thHorseman

K40Geoff, hey thanks for the help.
I finally contacted Winchester. The guy said, "NO problem, we'll Fed Ex you a new barrel as quick as we can. All you have to do is send the old one back."
God, they are some fine people there! Wonderful company.
The local gun smith...well he's another story.
They said they don't repair them, they just discard them and replace the whole barrel.
Again thanks for your assistance.
Old December 10, 2001, 11:19 AM   #5
C.R.Sam

Now that is good customer service.

Please let us know when you have it up and running again.

Sam
Old December 15, 2001, 01:17 PM   #6
4thHorseman

Just to keep you guys informed, I got my new barrel from Winchester. The rear sight was broken this time. I slid off the the rear sight on my old barrel and put it on the new barrel.
I would caution people against the Tru-Glo sights on shot guns. I've had nothing but problems out of them. They break very easily. If I could I would of stuck with the old iron sights. Tru-Glo is going to make a killing on replacement sights!