The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2009, 02:14 PM   #1
Prof Young

Experiment in case cleaning.

Loaders: I'm still a novice at hand loading and started only because I like to shoot my 44 mag and the ammo was $$$$$. Anyway I've been cleaning my brass with Iosso which works fine. But after pursing this website and seeing some different way brass is cleaned I recalled something I'd read in Steinbeck's Travels With Charlie. He did his "laundry" by putting dirty clothes, soap and water in a covered bucket and after a day or so of driving the aggitation had washed the clohes. So, I got a plastic tub with fitted lid, and some cob media. Dumped the media and a couple hundred casses in the tub, snapped on the lid and put the thing in my trunk. A couple hundred miles later . . . I have clean cases. Now I need to try it with some polish in the media.
Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old February 28, 2009, 09:46 PM   #2
Inspector3711

Hey... I could heat water on an exhaust manifold, use a 12 volt pump to recirculate it into the back of a pickup, and sit back there in a tub. I'd be clean in 200 miles!

Seriously though Prof, we all need to start thinking that way. Do more with less for less. You could clean dentures and jewelry the same way. You've got me thinking about making money now and saving resources....

A belt driven washing machine powered by a wheel on the road under the truck.... A matching dryer powered the same way but using wind from the truck moving to blow the clothes dry...

Wouldn't work here though, it rains too much.
Old February 28, 2009, 10:03 PM   #3
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I like the way you think!!!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old March 1, 2009, 11:26 AM   #4
A_Gamehog

You must have a Dodge Power Wagon?

Roughest ride I ever had besides my first wife!
Old March 1, 2009, 01:57 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

No free lunch

It is good efficiency from the standpoint the bucket is cheaper than a tumbler and saves the energy that went into making the tumbler. As to it being free, though, it isn't. From a thermodynamic standpoint, whatever additional load you put in the truck will consume energy which you will pay for in gasoline. It just won't be easy to detect. It's probably pretty easy on the wallet from the standpoint of lacking visibility. You might have to drive for years to distinguish the added load from the noise of normal wind and road condition variance. A clever idea from the standpoint of not spending extra time on the matter and from the standpoint of the wife not complaining about tumbler noise.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 1, 2009, 02:20 PM   #6
amamnn

Two hundred miles? I don't have time to wait for that.
Old March 2, 2009, 09:39 PM   #7
Inspector3711

That's exactly why I have an electric tumbler... But if I didn't, I could get the job done in 1.5 weeks from my commute alone

What about a bucket on the washing machine to get the vibration from it? Or the lawnmower.... I could strap small containers of shells on to my dogs when we're hiking.. Sneak em' into the wife's back pack. Hey! The possibilities are endless....
Old March 4, 2009, 02:55 PM   #8
Prof Young

Make my day

Loaders:
You guys crack me up. Shooter have a great sense of humor. Made my day.
Live well, be safe.
Prof Young
Old March 4, 2009, 03:12 PM   #9
protectedbyglock

Neat idea. I have a rough riding little toyota pickup on 32" tires.
I bet I could have a few hundred cases cleaned in 50 miles.
Off road even less...
Old March 4, 2009, 03:51 PM   #10
Mr Phil

Personally I would just put the bucket on the end of the bed when you take Mama for a pickle tickle - seems like that has two benefits
Old March 4, 2009, 09:37 PM   #11
protectedbyglock

Did you just say "pickle tickle"? WTH is wrong with you, phil?
"But you have to, honey! I need shells to hunt. Do you want us to starve?"

You could also strap buckets to everything that moves, and then have a bucket of cases you just carry with you everywhere. A bucket on the lawnmower, one on your roto-tiller, one on the washing machine, etc. Then, whatever you're doing, you just dump 'em in..
Doing some laundry? Dump 'em in!
Mowing the lawn? Dump 'em in!
Sunday drive? 4-wheeling? Dump 'em in?

OR... You could just get a $50 tumbler.
Old March 4, 2009, 09:45 PM   #12
MrSardonicus

Quote:
did You Just Say "pickle Tickle"? Wth Is Wrong With You, Phil?
"but You Have To, Honey! I Need Shells To Hunt. Do You Want Us To Starve?"
R O F L M A O!!!
Old March 4, 2009, 10:09 PM   #13
Swampghost

Remove hubcap from mama's car. Bolt 5 gal. bucket lid to hubcap. Fill bucket with brass and medium. Install lid/hubcap assy on bucket and place on car. Send mama to store for 6-pack. Voila! You'll be stuffin' rounds before she gets the grits and gravy done.
Old March 5, 2009, 12:03 AM   #14
A_Gamehog

I don't care who you are that's funny!

That classic stuff there...
Old March 5, 2009, 12:19 AM   #15
Inspector3711

Put buckets in the back of your neighbors truck too. Just don't tell them, maybe they won't notice. Sneak over there in a few days and get your clean shells. Dentures and jewelry too.. Heck, could I have the wife wash dishes this way?

Wind power guys.... A windmill powered tumbler... Or one set up on a creek like a flour mill. Use the current.. Of course these would interfere with the pickle tickle method which is clearly superior.
Old March 5, 2009, 03:27 AM   #16
HiBC

What I will caution you with,long time ago I used somebodies tumbler additive in my walnut hulls Left my whole supply of 35 whelen brass in it a few days.Must have had some ammonia or something in the additive.It ruined my brass.
As far as your thinking,Quirky.I like it.

Pickle Tickle????
Old March 5, 2009, 12:51 PM   #17
daywalker627

If you were into the rodeo, get permission and put small tupperware containers tied to the bull with some media in it. I am sure the bull would get theings a juggling. At the end of the night, clean brass??