The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 2, 2013, 08:06 PM   #1
blackhawk8

help with 9mm

I have some 9mm 125GR FMJ RN with cannalure, Bullseye powder. Any one have any load data and how much crimp should I use. Thanks
Old March 2, 2013, 08:35 PM   #2
BoogieMan

Go to the Aliant website. The Bullseye data I have doesnt list a starting and max load, so I would rather not share.
COL is 1.150
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 2, 2013, 08:55 PM   #3
jepp2

Quote:
how much crimp should I use
For any case that headspaces off the mouth (and the 9mm is one of these) your crimp should only close the flare your created to seat the bullet. Nothing more.
Old March 2, 2013, 09:32 PM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

Are you certain the bullets you have are not for .38 or .357 mag? Those do have a cannalure. 9 mm bullets normally do not.

The OAL varies with the pistol. They must be short enough to fit into the magazine all the way to the bottom. They also should not make contact with the rifling when dropped into the barrel of the pistol and should be flush. The crimp for the 9 mm is a taper crimp and not a roll crimp. As mentioned the taper crimp is only enough to remove the bell or flare you made to allow you to seat the bullet. The roll crimp is used for revolvers. Revolver bullets normally do have a cannalure and that is where you crimp at.

The powder manufacture normally has data for their powders. The weight difference between 124 and 125 grains should not make a difference and you do need to work the load up to find what works best for your pistol.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:11 PM   #5
blackhawk8

I know what u mean Mississippi Dave, strange that these have a cannalure. I measured them and they are .356. Think Im goin to try 4.0GR Bullseye. Thanks everyone for the help.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Are you certain the bullets you have are not for .38 or .357 mag? Those do have a cannalure. 9 mm bullets normally do not.

The OAL varies with the pistol. They must be short enough to fit into the magazine all the way to the bottom. They also should not make contact with the rifling when dropped into the barrel of the pistol and should be flush. The crimp for the 9 mm is a taper crimp and not a roll crimp. As mentioned the taper crimp is only enough to remove the bell or flare you made to allow you to seat the bullet. The roll crimp is used for revolvers. Revolver bullets normally do have a cannalure and that is where you crimp at.

The powder manufacture normally has data for their powders. The weight difference between 124 and 125 grains should not make a difference and you do need to work the load up to find what works best for your pistol.
Mississippi Dave gave you the straight dope. Make sure the diameter of your bullets are .355" and not .357". I assume you have a dial caliper, so I'll explain the simplest method for 9mm taper crimp. As mentioned, it doesn't require much.

Measure the thickness of the case within approximately 1mm from the casemouth. Take that thickness and multiply by 2, then add bullet diameter and this will give you finished diameter with NO taper crimp. Subtract .001" from that and that's the diameter at the casemouth you want your cases to be after they come out of the taper crimp die.

Here's an example if case thickness were .012". .012" X 2 = .024" + .355" = .379" - .001" = .378" after taper crimp. Your cases may not be as thick as .012" so plug your own numbers into the formula.

Just a quick hello to everyone because this is my first post, sort of. I am a former member and haven't logged on in several years. Forgot my handle and password so I just re-registered, so hello to everyone.
Old March 4, 2013, 12:26 PM   #7
blackhawk8

Hello 57K from ole mountaineer in WV. Thanks for the help. i no its strange but the bullets are 9mm. they measure .356. dont no why they have a cannalure. i will try ur formula. again thanks
Old March 4, 2013, 03:49 PM   #8

Glad to help!
Old March 4, 2013, 05:22 PM   #9
chris in va

Before you do any loading, make a dummy round and find what OAL your particular gun likes. Make sure it passes the plunk test.