The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Which type of holster would you prefer (given the gun size wasn't the issue)
Shoulder 10 8.06%
Chest 7 5.65%
Belt 102 82.26%
Leg 2 1.61%
Ankle 3 2.42%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 25, 2013, 04:03 PM   #1
simonrichter

Which holster type would you prefer (leaving aside the gun dimensions)

Supposing you could choose the type of holster solely in terms of how comfortable it is to wear, which kind would you choose?

I'm well aware that e.g. it wouldn't make sense to carry a .45 SA revolver in an ankle holster, but let's simply suppose you would have to choose the holster type first and then you would anyway get a gun that suits the chosen holster...
Old January 25, 2013, 04:05 PM   #2
FALPhil

Pancake. I carry autoloaders. I have never found a better design than the pancake. My favorite is the Galco Combat Master.
Old January 25, 2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Japle

After 25+ years of daily carry, I use Kydex paddle holsters. They're comfortable, easy on and off, last forever and they're pretty cheap.

Old January 25, 2013, 04:23 PM   #4
Gaerek

My absolute favorite for concealment is "hybrid" style (leather backing, kydex holster...like a crossbreed) IWB holster. Very comfortable, adjustable, and concealable.
Old January 25, 2013, 04:29 PM   #5
Bob Wright

I haven't found any ankle holster that is comfortable inside my boots. I've tried most types and go back to the belt holster.

This looks neat, but is not too comfortable after awhile:

This one was cute:

This was not what it was cracked up to be:

This one was just right:

Bob Wright
Old January 25, 2013, 04:48 PM   #6
OEF-Vet

IWB Crossbreed hands down the most comfortable for all day wear. I had one custom made from RKBA holsters. The owner is a member here on TFL.
Old January 25, 2013, 04:53 PM   #7
Arizona Fusilier

The "belt" term would seem to cover a few styles and options, as others have already pointed out.
Old January 25, 2013, 05:48 PM   #8
The Great Mahoo

I only carry on my belt. A good pancake holster is fantastic, but not my only choice. I used to favor tuckable ones like the crossbreed, but tend to do more OWB nowadays.
Old January 25, 2013, 07:34 PM   #9
Cheapshooter

Belt, If that includes IWB hybrid
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 25, 2013, 08:33 PM   #10
BIG P

Pancake in the city,Shoulder in the country.
Old January 26, 2013, 07:46 PM   #11
jason_iowa

Chest is the best place but it does not make sense 99.9% of the time. After that Belt. It really depends on the situation more then anything. I carry on my belt the vast majority of the time because it makes sense most of the time.
Old January 27, 2013, 02:44 AM   #12
Dragline45

I voted shoulder rig. It dispurses the weight of the gun nicely, and when walking through the woods it does not hang up on anything. Although 99% of the time I carry IWB for concealability reasons.
Old January 27, 2013, 08:54 AM   #13
full case load

No correct choice, so as not to confuse the data I didn't vote. For the 4th day now I have been using a Remora IWB no clip holster for the LC9 (with integral mag holder). Been wearing it in and around the house to get used to it and see if I can trust it in whatever situation. So far I am favorably impressed with security and comfort. While I haven't done any wind sprints or tumbling yet, I have done some chain sawing and other yard work. I believe it's going to fit well in my real world. (P.S. at my age I probably won't be doing the sprints or tumbling either.)
Old January 27, 2013, 12:52 PM   #14
the jigger

Carry holster?

Don Hume JIT slide is my choice for everything (4) that I carry.
Old January 27, 2013, 01:14 PM   #15
Kreyzhorse

I pocket carry my Ruger LCP but everything else is carried OWB, typically in a Galco Fletch High Ride holster.
Old January 27, 2013, 06:17 PM   #16
Gaerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by full case load View Post
No correct choice, so as not to confuse the data I didn't vote. For the 4th day now I have been using a Remora IWB no clip holster for the LC9 (with integral mag holder). Been wearing it in and around the house to get used to it and see if I can trust it in whatever situation. So far I am favorably impressed with security and comfort. While I haven't done any wind sprints or tumbling yet, I have done some chain sawing and other yard work. I believe it's going to fit well in my real world. (P.S. at my age I probably won't be doing the sprints or tumbling either.)
I have a Remora for my LCR. I call it my lazy holster. I usually use it around the house and for short trips to the quick mart. It slips a bit occasionally on me and I find myself adjusting it all the time. I just don't trust it for extended periods outside the home. Still like it though
Old January 27, 2013, 06:30 PM   #17
Nanuk

Gun size dictates holster type, they go hand in hand. An ankle holster for a Desert Eagle would be unpractical. I have been carrying for over 30 years I use different holsters for different guns for different purposes. I use a strong side belt holster when working and generally a shoulder holster when not. The shoulder holster is great if I am in the car all day and the belt holster works if I want more security and maybe on my feet all day. Mode of dress dictates as well.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old January 28, 2013, 12:21 PM   #18
kahrguy

Depends to much on the handgun and how its being used. lrge frame long barrel for hunting- chest rig. 4 or 6" 357 or smaller you trail- pancake holster. CC hold nother issue. NO best holster or way to carry for me
Old January 28, 2013, 12:37 PM   #19
treg

Panckake is my all around favorite.

Bob Write, I like the holster in the bottom pic! Would like some info on it, please.
Old January 28, 2013, 05:26 PM   #20
craZivn

Belt for concealed carry, Crossbreed Supertuck all the way!

Leg platform for open carry, fastest draw for me.
Old January 28, 2013, 06:24 PM   #21
chris in va

I prefer a nice kydex OWB that hugs the body. Problem is, they're only meant for one gun so if you sell the handgun and get something similar in profile, it won't fit like a leather would.

So my main carry method is a leather belt loop OWB with body shield and...this is important...flat inner face. Interestingly the Paraguay-made Tagua is quite well made and will probably be my go-to from now on. It 's a democratic country well known for their leather artisans.
Old January 28, 2013, 06:51 PM   #22
dayman

For pure comfort I chose shoulder.
That being said, because of the places I go and the clothes I wear, I pretty much always wear IWB - the only downsides IMHO being that you have to wear your pants quite snug, and be careful about how you sit.
Old January 28, 2013, 08:04 PM   #23
Alabama Shooter

Two thumbs down on anything below the belt. Above the belt it depends on for what reason.
Old January 28, 2013, 08:23 PM   #24
Quincunx

I'm pretty boring, I guess. Anything I carry goes OWB @ about 3 o'clock in plain ol' leather.
Old January 28, 2013, 08:45 PM   #25
Zhillsauditor

Quote:
Supposing you could choose the type of holster solely in terms of how comfortable it is to wear, which kind would you choose?
Based on that question, shoulder holster hands down. Not practical for most concealed carry, however.