The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 24, 2008, 12:35 PM   #1
Sparks2112

Guns Not Going Bang Stories...

If this needs moved then by all means...

Thought this would be an interesting topic. Anyone ever had a gun not fire when you really needed/wanted it to? Either through not loading it properly, keeping the safety on, broken firing pin, etc...

Just last night I went to shoot a scavenger bird that has been terrorizing my dad's rabbit population. I pulled the trigger on a Franchi LAW-12, and nothing happened. Turns out I had hit the magazine disconect on accident before attempting to chamber a round, so, one wasn't in the tube (Which really drove home for me practicing with ALL your equipment). The bird took off when it heard the click, and seemed to be mocking me as it flew away.

My Dad had a very young asian gentleman in black pajamas try to shoot him at close range with an AK-47. Gun went click and Dad then gave a practical demonstration as to why you should be able to clear a bad cartridge from your weapon before whoever you were trying to shoot figures out that you're there. Upon inspecting the cartridge the primer was dimpled, but either hadn't hit hard enough, or was a dud.

Have fun...
J.M. Johnston
Old October 24, 2008, 01:29 PM   #2
grymster2007

Quote:
Gun went click and Dad then gave a practical demonstration
That was right polite of your dad! Was it a life altering lesson?

I had a squib in a 44 and numerous FTFs in 22s, but can't recall a click when a bang was a matter of some urgency!
Old October 24, 2008, 01:30 PM   #3
Sparks2112

Quote:
That was right polite of your dad! Was it a life altering lesson?
I'd say. It's funny though, to this day he can clear a bad cartridge from a weapon faster than almost anyone I've ever seen.
J.M. Johnston
Old October 24, 2008, 01:46 PM   #4
bufordtjustice

Back when I was in the Army I purchased a new Colt Combat Elite 1911. I carried in my car on occasion when I went on road trips, etc. I thought I was a real badass. I actually owned it for a couple of months before i got the chance to shoot it. I took it to the range, loaded it and pulled the trigger. It went click, and then went click again as I tried different rounds and magazines. Evidently, something was goofed up with the disconnector and it wouldn't fire at all. I still remember that "lesson".
Old October 24, 2008, 04:24 PM   #5
wuluf

Quote:
The bird took off when it heard the click, and seemed to be mocking me as it flew away.
Hmm, what kind of bird was it?
Old October 24, 2008, 04:39 PM   #6
lockedcj7

I've had this happen many times but never when a human life was at stake. I've had countless duds over the years and several shotgun rounds where the primer went off, but not the powder.

Two memorable occasions:

One was while deer hunting. I had decided to take a small 4-point as a cull buck on some private land. I squeezed the trigger and... click. He looked right at me. I realized that I hadn't chambered a round after climbing into my stand. I was able to reach up and bolt the gun before he figured out what I was. He was acting really nervous and ready to run but I was able to make it happen.

Another time I was turkey hunting and had chambered a round, but the bolt wasn't all the way forward. The turkey jumped at the sound of the click but I was able to chamber a round before he spooked. When he stepped out from behind a tree, I nailed him.

When it really matters, I double and triple-check everything.
Old October 24, 2008, 05:54 PM   #7
Stevie-Ray

I've had only a few clicks in several thousands of rounds of .45 ACP. As I remember it, it was mainly WWB or UMC. Never on one of my own reloads. One in particular was noticeable in that I discovered that I had no flinch. I'm sure that one would have been a perfect bullseye, also.

I've had only one in 9mm and it was out of a WWB valu-pak. Never had one in 10mm, .32ACP, .44mag or any of my rifles, and am only this year starting to have them in rimfire. Mostly Federal Bulk packs.

Never had one in any premium defense loads. And never when I needed it, though it could be said I've never really needed it. So far, though, the premium defense loads are rather comforting in their quality and consistency.
Old October 24, 2008, 07:51 PM   #8
dabigguns357

I have had that happen twice and both while hunting.The first was while i was dove hunting in Alabama,looked up to see some dove flying over and pulled the trigger and all i heard was click and click again,forgot to even load the gun

The second was when i was hunting in West Virginia,we were out early in the morning hunting deer and hadn't seen anything till about 10am when all of a sudden 2 big doe came hauling tail by and stopped short of a fence about 75 yards down range from me,needless to say i pulled the trigger thinking bang but again all i heard was click and they were gone.Same thing again,forgot to load the dang gun.Yea go ahead and laugh all my hunting buddies still laugh at me too.Now i check and double check,no more clicks for me.That and i now carry my 686 for back up
Old October 24, 2008, 09:28 PM   #9
cold dead hands

Location: Arkansuck...I dream of the day I leave here. Never to return.
Two instances that really stick in my mind...

When I owned my first gun I had a click when there should have been a boom. I must have loaded 9 rounds instead of the 10 rounds the gun is able to hold.

When the click came I almost panicked...my first gun and my first range trip and I have potentially dangerous squib load.

I waited out the the 30 seconds as advised on the box of ammo by about 5 minutes...nothing.

So I ever so gently pull the slide back to discover that the chamber was empty and the slide lock failed to engage.

This is the only time this gun did this to me.

Just one of those things I guess.

Next is the time that I first owned a 1911.

It was a Llama double stack Para Ordnance clone (series 80). Very rare. I still miss that one...

It was loaded and I pulled the trigger on the half cock to release the hammer and the hammer slipped from under my thumb.

The Hammer made a quick and powerful "thwack" on the firing pin.

The gun did not go off...much to my relief...but, when I dropped the mag and ejected the round I saw on very deep pit in the primer.

When I took the round to the range it went off as expected... thank god it wasn't ignited at the wrong time in the wrong place. An Officer's model .45 going off in a small apartment living room would have surely gotten me much more attention than I would have wanted.

The only damage I would have done with that round is some rug and concrete damage in a rental unit (the four rules are your friends), but it certainly instilled a new found respect for guns that I will never forget.
Old October 25, 2008, 08:15 AM   #10
rem870hunter

other than about 15 remington thunderbolts in my nylon 77. no ftf. every firearm i have fired, even shooting handloads has fired when i pulled the trigger. none have had broken firing pins,forgot to load it or chamber a round. and i hopefully never will,because the moment i do will possibly be my first and last.
Old October 25, 2008, 09:37 AM   #11
Dwight55

I don't recall any times it happened to me, . . . but one of my friends still frowns when someone hollers his name and does the fake gun thing up in the air with the thumb an forefinger and says, "Click".

He was bear hunting in Canada, . . . had not seen anything the first 4 days out, . . . on his last day, he took the gun his wife bought for him before he left as a present, . . . a bolt action 300 WinMag.

Normally, his 30-30 lever gun was his choice, . . . but figuring it might change his luck, . . . the took the bolt action. Yeah, . . . you guessed it, . . . he put the magazine in the thing, . . . forgot to load a round in the chamber. That afternoon, . . . the only bear he saw all week, came to his bait, . . . and the rest is history, . . . "Click".

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old October 25, 2008, 02:23 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have seen several instances where people were depending on a gun/ammo combination that didn't work. Fortunately, none found out the hard way.

That is the reason I always tell anyone who intends to use a semi-auto for serious purposes to make sure it will fire at least consecutive 200 rounds with the carry magazine and carry ammunition, no malfunctions. Revolvers are less likely to have problems, but should be checked out also.

One guy I know practiced with cheap ammo and had no problems, but saved the expensive stuff for carry. When I finally persuaded him to fire some of the super (and super costly) ammo, he got four failures to feed out of a magazine. So saving money could actually be costly, in a way you might not like.

Jim
Old October 25, 2008, 02:33 PM   #13
Superhouse 15

Story

Had a friend, known around here as Musketeer, buy a nice Colt Delta Elite as a CCW. It had been worked on by a local gun plumber who had screwed up the series 80 safety. Everything worked on the gun, but the firing pin safety would not let the firing pin move forward.

If he reads this, he can comment on if he carried it before test-firing it.
Old October 25, 2008, 11:07 PM   #14
matthew temkin

Opening day of deer season in 2006.
My bud pushes a nice buck my way and I get a 20 foot shot.
I shoulder my .308 and shoot--but nothing happens.
Thinking that the safety is on I try to push it off again and again nothing happens.
Later on I check my ammo and the primer is deeply dented--a dud round.
Old October 26, 2008, 12:04 AM   #15
grumpycoconut

An old partner of mine once was forced to face a man with a 12" butcher's knife who was charging at him down a narrow hallway. He thumbed off the safety and pressed the trigger on his Series 80 1911 but nothing happened. Fortunately his partner was right behind him with a Glock 21 which performed as designed.

He had shot at the range earlier that shift and had no problems with his 1911. When the armorer stripped his pistol he found that the firing pin was in two pieces rendering the pistol inoperative. The firing pin must have snapped on the last round fired at the range.

This is not a 1911 bashing, merely an illustration that the god Murphy is omnipresent.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Old October 26, 2008, 07:48 AM   #16
alloy

recently figured out that loading a 1911 with a closed slide takes more pressure than i thought. cycled the slide, click. waited 30 seconds or so(thought it was a missfire), checked breech, cycled again, click. look down, magazine is out about 1/8". gave it a good smack, and pinched my hand between mag and frame, drawing a little blood. now i understand what plastic mag bottoms are for.
not really an important event, just the firing range.
Old October 26, 2008, 09:57 AM   #17
ChewToy

So, I'm at my very first USPSA competition with my brand new Glock 35.

I shot it a few times just to get the feel of it but never really practiced with it, and never loaded it with a full mag and with a round in the chamber allready. Needless to say this puts extra presure on the mag spring which can make the mag not lock into place if you don't push it in hard enough... I did the bang click dance abot three times that match and watched my full magazines fall onto the ground after the click each time.

I was so embarassed, and could not figure out what the fudge was going on...
Old October 26, 2008, 10:30 AM   #18
big_bang

Not a FTF, but still no good:
I was hunting coyotes with my Savage combo gun. We were hunting some fairly deep cover, so I had the hammer selector set on the shotgun barrel. A yote popped up about 100 yards out and framed himself for a perfect shot through a hole in the trees. I got settled into the scope and was mentally prepared for a .223 round going off - instead I got a 3" buckshot load. Now my thumb subconsciously checks the hammer selector before every shot
Old October 26, 2008, 03:01 PM   #19
Jon-m

I found this video of an Ar-50 misfiring.
This is a prime example of why you use the 30 second rule when it goes "click"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWnNkWO6moo
Old October 26, 2008, 05:33 PM   #20
armedandsafe

I haven't had a ftf when I really needed it, but I remember having to tell a lad that he could stop pulling the trigger, once. Twenty year (about) Army vet and his furst time of having his target shoot back.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old October 26, 2008, 06:49 PM   #21
BanjoGunner

Quote:
recently figured out that loading a 1911 with a closed slide takes more pressure than i thought. cycled the slide, click. waited 30 seconds or so(thought it was a missfire), checked breech, cycled again, click. look down, magazine is out about 1/8". gave it a good smack, and pinched my hand between mag and frame, drawing a little blood. now i understand what plastic mag bottoms are for.
not really an important event, just the firing range.
Had a similar problem with my Glock 17 at a combat pistol course recently. Got FTFs several times after speed reloads; multiple tap/racks wouldn't fix the FTFs, so I wound up dropping full magazines and loading new ones. As it turned out, I just wasn't tapping hard enough to seat the magazine, even on multiple attempts.

The good things are that I discovered this problem at a training course, it only happens when I reload under duress, and my speed reloading got much faster with all the practice I got trying to fix it.
Old October 26, 2008, 07:02 PM   #22
44Magnum

Yeah, I always just slam those autoloader magazines in. It won't hurt the gun and seats in properly every time (so far).

Now that I've said that I'll probably get a FTF next outing because the magazine didn't seat.
Old October 26, 2008, 11:42 PM   #23
raimius

Nothing too serious, just one embarrassing moment.

I have had a few failures to seat the magazine properly (and forgot to do a chamber check). Click...?

There have been a few times when I've gotten nose high jams in a 1911, and one or two FTRBs. That was due to using wadcutters in a 1911 with weak springs.

The embarrassing one was at my first 3-gun competition. It was on the 4th or 5th stage. Pistol was last. I finished the shotgun targets, drew, aimed, pulled the trigger...and nothing happened, not even a click. Somewhere during this process the thought "my 1911 feels lighter than normal" rumbled around the back of my mind. When I realized the hammer had not dropped and my pistol felt lighter than normal, I was able to practice my speed (not re-)load.
Old October 27, 2008, 12:36 PM   #24
whiplash

Just last weekend my son put the crosshairs on a doe, pulled the trigger, and click. Pulled the round out and found out there was no powder in the case. I, during reloading of our hunting ammo, missed the powder step. That doesnt happen very often. I just read this thread, and it got me thinking....what if that would have happend in my carry ammo on a bad guy? Just another reason maybe to not use reloads for carry??? We are all prone to human error......felt bad for my son. However, he put the crosshairs on another doe at 300yrds the next evening, one shot (.308Win), meat in the freezer...He said I am off the hook...
Old November 10, 2008, 05:15 PM   #25
devlin02

I was 13 and elk hunting in Northern Arizona. I shot a nice 5x5 from around 230 yards. When my cousin and I made it to the spot where I thought he was hit I turned to see him staring me down from no more than 10 yards, bleeding and unhappy. I raised my Remington 7400 30-06 and pulled the trigger and heard the loudest, most horrific sound a gun can make.....click! As it turned out, the action hadn't cycled completely forward after I shot the first time.

I re-cycled it and ended up taking the bull, but for every hunt after that it's been nothing but bolt action for me!