The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 15, 2012, 12:53 AM   #1
jag2

25-20 chambers

I have 2 1892 wins in 25-20 and also a Rem 25 pump. My reloads work fine in the Rem but I can't close the chamber on the Wins. The brass is correct at 1.32.
I guess I'll try moving the shoulders back a bit which should also pull back the overall length, I think. I believe it uses the head space for fitting purposing. Am I approaching this right or be trying something else? Was the Win known to have a short chamber? They are both over 100 yrs old, I wonder if the specs changed somewhere along the line. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old May 15, 2012, 03:16 AM   #2
Scorch

Old rifle chambers vary a lot. But even today, with SAAMI chamber specs and CNC machining, it is probably not reasonable to expect ammo fired in one gun to chamber in another without pushing the shoulder back to factory specs.
Old May 15, 2012, 06:12 AM   #3
dahermit

Many years ago, in my early 20's, I had a 25-20 Win. 92 take-down model rifle. It would frequently split the brass (factory cartridges) on the first firing. Being a kid, I did not have the knowledge to investigate the cause at that time. However, if I had that rifle now, I would make a chamber cast using Cerrosafe as a first step to figure out what was going on.
Having the type of receiver that it has, it would be tricky, but not impossible.
Old May 16, 2012, 11:38 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

FWIW, .25-20 headspaces on the rim; the shoulder really doesn't matter much as long as it fits the chamber.

Jim