The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 1, 2009, 07:07 PM   #26
jepp2

$15 for the range fee + ($15 * 2) for the ammo = $45.

Well really, 15 + 15 + 15 does = 45.
Old December 1, 2009, 07:44 PM   #27
James R. Burke

Hang in there till you get your primers then decide. Sounds like you have most of it anyways. You can make way better stuff than you can buy if you are doing it correct. They will come back, and hope they dont go up to much. You can still find them here and there but you need to keep a looking If you can try some small ma and pa shops sometimes they will surpize you. I really like reloading for hunting, just knowing I made the round that brought it down. ( Big Game mostly, or any game for that matter. ) Gun Broker most of the time has them, the only bad part is they do want a arm and a leg for them. Who knows maybe they will get stuck with them some day and have to come down on the price. But dont give up sounds like you would really enjoy it, and your on the right track with the manuals. You cant have to many, and I try to have one for the bullet I am using also. There are some real good ones out there to get you started. Good luck, keep it safe, and read those manuals, and most impotant have fun!
Old December 2, 2009, 01:15 AM   #28
emcon5

I wouldn't wait for your backordered primers, keep your eyes open, call local sources often and I bet you can find some. If not, keep an eye on the Calguns Private Ammo and Reloading forum

A quick search turned up some Primers for Sale in SoCal,

This guy is pretty high priced:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...hlight=primers

But this one is a little better:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...hlight=primers

You need to look a couple times a day, good deals go fast.
Old December 2, 2009, 02:07 AM   #29
goodspeed(TPF)

Quote:
Cali Math Goodspeed!!!!
Now I remember. That's why everything cost so much on my last trip there.

How ya been Discoracing?

*Looks like I forgot to add in the range fee. D'oh!

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old December 2, 2009, 10:08 AM   #30
Don P

Don't give up the ship. In the long run it will pay off. Before prices sored I had an ample supply of powder, primers, brass, and bullets. Once I started to reload and was at 2500 rounds I had saved in price, factory over reloads enough money that the reloading equipment was paid for and I was $ 110 to the good. This was in 2007. Once I ran out of bullets I ordered another 8500 and restocked the primers I had used. Again doing so before prices skyrocketed. The last time I bought primers they were at $26 per 1K. I still have 10+ #'s of powder and approx. 7500 primers. The last reloading session 38spl/357mag, 9mm, 40S&W were at .10 per round and 45acp was .12 per round. As of now the only thing I do not have in stock in bullets.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 2, 2009, 08:27 PM   #31
MTHanded

Check out Wideners.com. I just ordered since they recently got some in. Not a great selection though.
Old December 3, 2009, 07:12 AM   #32
thaddy1978

I don't do it to save money, I do it because its a fun hobby--and in the end, I shoot the fruits of my labors.
Old December 3, 2009, 08:47 AM   #33
glocktoys

if you are shooting that little you can get ammo at walmart bulk pack and shoot that. pick up your brass take it home and clean it and pile it up for a weekend of reloading when you get the primers (we are seeing them local now). is you shoot several calibers or exotics (i shoot 10mm and 6.8 spc besides the normal 9mm,.45acp,.308 win and .40 s&w) you will save more there. keep them and slowly get components together to reload when you have the time.
Old December 3, 2009, 09:41 AM   #34
Uncle Buck

Another source of ammo is farm supply stores. Our local Orschelians had a Value Pack of .40 S&W ammo for $75.00 (250 rd count i believe). They also had a decent selection of rifle ammo.
Old December 3, 2009, 12:53 PM   #35
Emerson

My handloads are costing me right at $5 / box for .45 ACP and .44 Special and .44 Magnum. The .357 & .38's are cheaper and 9mm cheaper still.

I shoot a minimum of 1000 rds a month, so compared to factory ammo costs I'm saving at least $200 / month.

I would recommend you don't get rid of your gear. You may want to shoot more in the future or ammunition may become next to impossible to get, or the price may go up again significantly. Primers and powder will keep indefinitely if stored properly.
Old December 3, 2009, 06:47 PM   #36
warnerwh

I never worry about how much my ammo costs because it's not expensive and far less than retail. My .44 and .357 midrange loads which I almost always use cost 6.50 for the .44 and 8.00 for the .357 where I use jacketed bullets only. To load max loads for the .44 with a JHP it's costing 9.00 or so. For the .357 it's about 8.50. However I bought these supplies years ago and I can tell it would be a little more with today's higher prices.

It's so nice to not give going shooting a second thought. If I had to buy 2-3 boxes of ammo at retail for either the .357 or .44 I wouldn't go shooting due to the expense. Prices are so high I'd feel like I'm being ripped off some how.

My .44 load is a little too hot for a .44 special but significantly less than a full power .44. I can't buy something comparable to what I feel is the best load for my use. It can be an enjoyable pass time as well. Keep your stuff and at least try it. If you were near me I'd give you a few hundred primers to get you going. Maybe you could try to see if someone could go in on the same order with you. If you order one case of 5,000 primers and split the hazmat and shipping costs the cost per primer will still be acceptable. Your reloaded ammo will be much less expensive than 15.00 a box. You'll be glad you didn't bag it.

Last edited by warnerwh; December 3, 2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old December 4, 2009, 02:27 PM   #37
RWNielsen

Quote:
But again, reloading allowed me to meet new people, learn new things and give me peace of mind when it comes to shooting.
I'll never pay off my equipment in my lifetime but I love loading nice ammo and fully half my time at the range is yacking with someone I've just met.
Truth be told, I'm not that good a shot.........
Old December 4, 2009, 04:56 PM   #38
BigJimP

I'm seeing more supplies in stock locally ....so don't give up yet.

But I would try and pick up some primers locally - and still wait for your back order - and try and keep 6 months inventory on all of your supplies ( bullets, powder and primers ) so you can wait for your stuff to come in.

Just look at it on a weekly basis / for me its about 6 boxes a week or about 16,000 rounds a year ( in a variety of calibers from 9mm to .44 mag ) so I keep large and small pistol primers - when I get down to 5,000 of each on hand ( or 1 case ) I reorder.

An 8 lb keg of powder will give me about 11,000 rounds / when I get down to about 4 lbs, I restock.

On bullets I buy in case lots ( Montana Gold ) - and cases run anywhere from about 2,000 to 3,500 bullets per case depending on what grain you shoot for a caliber / so just place your orders accordingly.

By placing your orders in quantity / even with component prices up now - my cost to reload is between $6 and $8 a box for 50 rounds ( from 9mm to .44 mag). So you're still saving a lot over buying retail at $ 18 - $ 25 a box in my area.
Old December 4, 2009, 07:53 PM   #39
Jim243

Yes, walk away for reloading. I need those extra components I'm already crazy enough to keep loading and loading and loading till I have no more room to store any more.

The one good thing about reloading is I am too busy putting rounds together to go out and shoot them up.

But on the serious side, if you shoot rifle rounds, then you have no choice but to reload. It is getting way too expensive to go out and shoot up 50 rounds of 30-06 or 270 or 243 for that matter. No cheap military surpplus in those calibers.

Now that I am shooting IDPA matches I go through 2,500 rounds of 9 mm a year, so it pays for me to reload.

The other factor is your ammo will be a LOT better than the stuff on the shelves of Wally World or your local gun store. (Unless you shoot nothing but Black Hills Match ammo, ouch on the price of that stuff)

Jim

Last edited by Jim243; December 4, 2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old December 4, 2009, 08:18 PM   #40
Foxbat

Why does everyone keep talking about cost and "savings" when they are exactly the wrong reasons for entering the hobby?

I shoot a couple thousand rounds each month, and yet it will be decades before I recoup my expense in equipment. I have many thousands invested in it, and... I keep buying more... I open up a catalog or look through a site, and I salivate over yet another reloading guizmo... something I definitely don't need! There is incredible fun in installing yet another gadget, adjusting it, seeing what you can do with it.

THAT is what we should be talking about... this is a HOBBY for Pete's sake... not a part time job.
Old December 5, 2009, 12:24 PM   #41
farmerboy

If cost is your reason for getting into reloading, then sure if I were you I would surely stop now....
Old December 5, 2009, 01:18 PM   #42
swordtail99

Primers in stock

Wideners has wolf SP primers in stock @ $28/K Good luck!
Old December 5, 2009, 03:12 PM   #43
Rangefinder

Everything WILL smooth out and become readily available again---this isn't the first time we've gone through hoarding sprees. There is no way to beat the cost-effectiveness of hand loading. I load mainly for my rifles, and that has paid for itself thousands of times. I could NEVER afford to feed my rifles buying factory ammo. Then there's the whole pleasure factor to the process. I just enjoy doing it---it's more relaxing after a rough day at work then most anything else I can think of---for me at least.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old December 5, 2009, 06:16 PM   #44
Lost Sheep

Your reason is valid...for YOU

Foxbat,

While many handloaders enjoy the activity because they simply enjoy the process, most got started for one of two reasons. 1) To produce ammunition at a lower cost than retail (or even wholesale) prices. or 2) to craft better quality ammunition than can be found over the counter.

However, as you point out, some stay in the hobby because they like building stuff ...bullets...workbenches...toolrooms...tool collections.

There are also other reasons, too. Get a license and you can actually produce income. Get in "the zone" and meditate while you crank out rounds. It is even a way to have some "alone time" when you can tell your spouse and offspring that they have to leave now.

I started loading because, when I bought my first gun I knew I would not be able to afford to shoot it unless I made my own ammo (I had more time than money, invested $75 in a basic RCBS setup to go along with my $150 Dan Wesson and I was set.)

My point is that savings is definitely not wrong. Nor is building an equipment collection wrong. Contrary to what you said, loading (at least for me and a lot of others, too) is a GREAT part-time job. I make, maybe $1.50 an hour doing it and consider it one of the better part time jobs I have ever had. I am my own boss, employee and customer. What's not to like about that?

Lost Sheep
Old December 5, 2009, 06:36 PM   #45
Foxbat

You yourself made it clear you love the process, and you enjoy doing it - just as I do. So you are confirming my point. I too love the saving it gives me, no question, on the per round basis... but overall it cost me a lot, which I accept because it is my hobby.

OTOH, I know several people who went into that purely to save money... their equipment sits idle now. Some bought it as a group, and it ends up in the hands of one guy who enjoys reloading. The other guys just "don't have time" to come to his place.

My point here is simple... the original poster doesn't really seem to have any interest in reloading - seriously, if he had, he would not be asking those questions, he would be reloading. Anyone with any modicum of interest can find the components - it's not like you have to sell your mother in law to get them.
Old December 5, 2009, 11:41 PM   #46
Fullthrottle

" it's not like you have to sell your mother in law to get them."

I would sell mine to get more of them, any offers? lol

Seriously, I did get into reloading for the simple reason of COST! That is not the reason I have stayed with it though. I too have learned to love the hobby/alone time/better acuracy/ect. Availability is another reason. In my stupid state(pronounced Kalifornia), if this new crap law doesn't get repealed, ammo will get a further bump in price. Average $22-27 a box of 50 .40cal, $18-22 for .38spcl and $25 or so for .357 magnum.........ouch. Only a year ago I was paying $7-12 less for the same rounds. Mind you those were prices at Wally World for Winchester white box/UMC/Remmington loads, not any match grade or other quality stuff.
Old December 6, 2009, 08:44 AM   #47
amathis

My wife let me get into reloading because I convinced her of the lower cost LOL

I picked up all my stuff second hand(other than the dies I needed) for under $200. it included 2 single stage presses, 15 die sets, scales, blocks, etc. great deal!

I only load several hundred rounds a month right now, but thats because I haven't gotten to load my 40S&W yet.

Cost is a big factor and you'll save some if you maintain your same shooting habits, but I figure you'll end up shooting more in the long run. I went from 1-2 boxes of 300WM to 5-10 per month Cost is just about the same so the wife doesn't complain to much. She hates it when I make my BIG orders for bullets and powder.
Old December 9, 2009, 06:49 PM   #48
wyobohunter

Stick with it.

And as others have said, try to buy in bulk. Wy buy a box of 100 primers when you can buy a brick of 1,000 etc. Assuming you'll use that amount and aren't just being another hoarder.

Quote:
It is even a way to have some "alone time" when you can tell your spouse and offspring that they have to leave now.
Yeah, right. Try telling that to my 3 year old who just loves to "help" daddy "de-load".
Old December 10, 2009, 05:54 PM   #49
studman5578

Hold on to your stuff

I started loading about a year ago and I haven't regretted it. Although I have realized that i don't think its worth loading 9mm, and so have stuck with 357, 30-06, and 223. For rifles, your reloads will save you a TON of money, and they're more accurate than factory because you can tailor to your gun. The bigger your cartridges get, the more money you'll save by loading your own.

I've realized that saving brass at the ranges I go to is a pain if you're not shooting a bolt/revolver, my Beretta 92 throws it everywhere and picking it up isn't fun. I just buy that in bulk. But if you've got the equipment, you'd have to be crazy not to load revolver rounds, (brass pickup doesn't get easier than that) and 357 is about 36/box at places by me.
Rev 5:13 "To him who sits on the throne and the Lamb be praise honor and glory and power, for ever and ever"
Old December 10, 2009, 08:46 PM   #50
Dodge DeBoulet

My two S&W M&Ps (.40 FS and .40 Compact) drop them all in a nice 2' circle right behind me and to my right. Almost as good as a revolver