The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 12, 2015, 09:56 AM   #26
DaleA

I generally like the longer barreled Rugers (7.5 inch) but the gun in that last picture sure looks proportioned right and pretty handy.

Thanks for posting.
Old August 12, 2015, 03:31 PM   #27
jmr40

When I married my wife I promised to love and keep her regardless. I've kept that promise for almost 32 years now. I make no such promise when I buy a gun and have no problem at all swapping one for something better or selling those not used.

There is simply no way I could have owned and had the experiences with as many different guns as I've had in my lifetime without trading or selling. I've owned and shot literally hundreds of different guns and have had a chance to develop opinions based on actual experiences.

Being able to make wise purchases of mostly used firearms has allowed me to sell or trade several at a profit. And made it possible to now have much better quality firearms than I'd ever be able to afford otherwise.

Nothing wrong with buying, selling, or trading. The key is to make wise decisions. I've made a few mistakes when I was younger, but I have learned from them and rarely make them anymore.
Old August 15, 2015, 07:59 AM   #28
RUT

>>I think I'm not going to sell them any more.<<

Famous last words!
Old August 16, 2015, 08:27 AM   #29
mrt949

I have sold traded over the years .Now down to a select few .
Now I am happy .
Old August 17, 2015, 11:47 AM   #30
Bucksnort1

Bob Wright, toooooo funny but it make sense.
Old August 17, 2015, 11:48 AM   #31
Bucksnort1

Bob Wright, the stag grips look better on the 44 special.
Old August 20, 2015, 12:05 AM   #32
johnwilliamson062

If I am reminded of a gun in my safe and my immediate action is not "Oh man, I should really get that out t o the range," it is on its way out the door. I would much rather trade through a lot of guns and try them than have twice as big of a safe with a bunch of guns I haven't shot in years and a buy list that won't be filled for decades.
Old August 21, 2015, 02:54 PM   #33
bedbugbilly

I thinned out my collection a few years back - hard to give up but it was time for them to go - long-guns & pistols both. I'm at the age that if something happened to me, the wife would have no idea of what they were, what they were worth and I've seen too many folks step in and take advantage of widows. I kept a few of my favoites - I have collected some vintage S & W hand ejectors but I shoot them all as well as my SA revolvers.

Every once in a while I get the "itch" to get a new handgun - which I allow myself to do - life is too short not to have fun. But I usually find myself trading in something I don't want or use anymore.

A few years back, I was able to pick up a nice blued 4" Colt Python - all the hype about them and I wanted to try the "Python experience". I shot it twice I think and I did not like it at all - I much prefer the feel o my old 5" S & W 38 spl. M & P. I tucked the Python away and kept it as an "investment". About a month ago, I began asking myself why I was keeping it? I pulled it out - consigned it at a LGS that I've purchased a number of pistols from and it was gone in two days - at three times what I had originally paid for it. I was happy and I'm are the new owner is as well - at least I hope so. Do I regret it? Nope! I'm going to use part of the money for a Uberti Cattleman 45 Colt - I'm all set up to cast and reload for the 45 Colt & Schofield. The remainder of the money I'm going to hand to my wife and tell her to use if for something she really wants. We just had our 43rd anniversary and I have been truly blessed with her as my wife. We have no children and really no "big wants: -she deserves to enjoy some of the "appreciation" on the Python as well - and it's one less handgun sitting and being unused that someone else can enjoy.

My motto is "never look back with regret . . . look forward to what tomorrow will bring" . . . and live each day to the fullest as life is too short. If that means parting with a handgun to enjoy another or to enjoy something else . . . it's all good!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 21, 2015, 03:55 PM   #34
Skans

I never missed any firearm I sold.
Old August 21, 2015, 05:56 PM   #35
RUT

Pretty much the same here, cuz I usually got something else to replace it.
Old August 21, 2015, 08:19 PM   #36
Omaha-BeenGlockin

My collection has evolved into less different models but more of each of the same model---I like what I like---so less likely to sell off any of my duplicates because I'd just wind up buying another one anyway.
-------Metallica
Old August 21, 2015, 09:32 PM   #37
MFitz

What is this selling/trading of a firearm you speak of?
Old August 21, 2015, 10:08 PM   #38
kilimanjaro

A guy at work would buy a gun, shoot it a while, then sell it to buy the next one. I bought several of his offered items, at good prices, and just tucked them away. About $3000 in spare funds over a couple of years is today worth about $10,000.

He's moved to another state now, but I'm betting he's still selling stuff to get the next purchase. His net result is about the same number of guns he started with, and no appreciation in value. Nothing wrong with that, but it seems to me you can do better.

A military officer I know, he and his wife bought a house near their first assignment, and instead of selling when the Army moved them every two years, they just made sure they had a down payment available. Now they own several nice rental homes, getting set for their retirement. One is paid for, the others will be soon enough.
Old August 22, 2015, 01:04 PM   #39
Boncrayon

Not selling my firearms any more

I've never sold or traded my firearm. I have two Eagle Scout sons that I have outright given to with the understanding that if they tire of them they must return it to me or offer to his brother first. If I receive one from my family or friends, and if I tire of the firearm for towards ridding it, they will always revert back to the donor or family member. If family rejects the offer, then it's up for the highest bidder or trader.

I also make an Excel document of acquisition, serial number, make model, caliber, from whom it was purchased or acquired, and history of the firearm if known.
Old September 5, 2015, 10:49 PM   #40
Prof Young

Lotta reasons to sell and keep . . .

Shooters:
I have 17 in the safe. If I'd kept everything there'd be 32. If I'm not shooting a gun for more than a year and it's not a keeper as an HD gun or an heirloom or one I'll use to help the kids learn to shoot then I move it on. Lot more fun guns out there to buy and try.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old September 6, 2015, 01:55 AM   #41
skizzums

I understand the thinking of never selling anything, and it has merit, loss knows there is a couple I regret.....mainly SKS and nagant's not because my love of them, but I couldn't have imagined how fast the prices have tripled since just 2-3 Years ago. But, I had one crappy .380 Davis pistol for 10 years, then accumulated a huge amount of guns in a very short period of time. It started with the panic of possible AWB, which got me on the SKS bit because of the hi cap magazines being compatible, then to other odd rifles that I coukd afford during the panic. I was very knew to guns, actually a total virgin, so until I got out there and shot these different platforms and spent some real trigger time with them, I had no idea what I liked, what purpose I wanted from a rifle, what was comfortable, what cartridges turned me on and lots of other things. I now know what I like, that's MOA accurate in an affordable price range, pistol caliber carbines and levers for mid-short range CQ with cartridges that are easy to find brass for reloading or converting, unique pieces that I can shoot well. Anyways, I hope my point is getting across, I didn't know what i wanted when I got into this, I wanted cool looking and "tacti-cool" which I have zero interest in now. It would be silly to think New shooters and buy up a bunch of guns, not knowing what "role" they fill for the shooter, and then never sell them. I think in my first year of really getting into shooting, I bought and sold nearly a dozen rifles, mainly the ak/sks types because they lacked the enjoyment I get from working up groups and learnin the basics of precision shooting(not saying nobody has impressive ak/sks platformed guns that wouldn't impress me, my bro has a cz2008 that is a true MOA with a scout red-dot), but I have found fast dumps and minute of man accuracy no longer excited me. I only regret those sales because of the profit that could have been made, but I didn't lose anything and they got me to learn what's important to me in a firearm. Wow, looking up at that post ^....I said a lot more than I thought I was. Summary: you need to spend time with different platforms to see what you need/like/want when your starting out, then sell the junk that is very likely another's treasure, then refine youe collection for YOU. Still to this day I am experimenting, jist made a 9mm AR and also a 300blk pistol a year ago. LOVE these rifles for what they are, bit wouldn't be suprised if one of them ends up on the block very soon since they both fill pretty much the same niche for my collection. Soooo.......sell it if you don't like it. Don't take a loss bit don't cry if the market goes up afterwards either, guns are rarely money-making investments. Take one of my sks's, spent money of furniture, this and that, shot a couple hundred bucks worth of ammo, and even though they have tripled in price, I spent that cash anyways just trying to make something they weren't.
Old September 6, 2015, 05:20 AM   #42
peggysue

LOL..I am the result of never selling any over the last 40 years and buying a bunch every year. They accumulate.
Old September 6, 2015, 08:46 AM   #43
highpower3006

I have sold off two collections, first was to pay for a divorce and the second was to buy a house. Totally worth it in both instances.

I am now on my third collection and have been seriously considering selling off the bulk of it in the next couple of years. If I do sell, I will give my son his pick of a dozen or so and keep just a few of my favorites.

If the Hildebeast gets in the White house, or any dumbocrat for that matter, I will get rid of them all during the subsequent panic buying that will no doubt ensue and permanently move to my house in Central America.

In the end, while I really like my guns, they are just things and there are times where the money is needed elsewhere.
Old September 6, 2015, 09:03 AM   #44
RUT

>>In the end, while I really like my guns, they are just things and there are times where the money is needed elsewhere<<

And there you have it!
Old September 22, 2015, 07:49 PM   #45
Bullrock

I've always had a good size gun collection. The last consisted of 32 handguns, and a couple of shotguns. I was in my 70's and shooting was still my passion. Then I had a health problem, and sold everything. I dropped out of shooting for 5 years because I just couldn't afford it anymore. Did I miss the trigger action on my Colts, my H&K USB Compact, my Taurus PT92 AF-S 9mm, and more, I don't even remember. YES!

I agree, guns are just property, and there are other things in life that deserve a higher priority. So I'm back. I turned 80 this summer, and bought myself a Taurus 809. Took it to the range, and shot the hell out of a terrorist target. It brought back the "spark" A month later I bought a PX4 Compact, and that's gonna do it, I hope.

You younger guys, if you got um, smoke um!
Old September 22, 2015, 10:21 PM   #46
eos

I've sold four guns in my lifetime, I came in to possession of most of these during a time when I was still trying to figure out what concealed carry methods worked for me.

Glock 26 - Replaced with a Glock 19 for primary carry. Conceals just as well as the 26 with my attire but more comfortable to shoot, increased mag capacity and sight radius.

Ruger LCR - Bought with intention of being a pocket gun. Too thick and bulky for my pockets (and no, I'm not wearing skinny jeans). Replaced with a Ruger LCP.

XDM 5.25" 9mm - Replaced with a Glock 34. Never intended on carrying this one, just wanted a range gun, decided I liked Glocks more and had no use for it.

Ruger SP101 3" .357 - Intended on carrying this one. However, it's heavier than it should be and only provided me with 5 rounds plus a slow reload.

I don't miss any of them, at least I learned what worked for me with regards to concealed carry. Now that I have a system that works for me (Ruger LCP in the pocket during the hours of 9 to 5 when concealability is critical, and a Glock 19 OWB everywhere else) I can focus on my favorite aspect of firearms, recreational shooting. I tend to take my time these days when searching for a firearm, to get a good price on something and be selective, I hope by doing this I'm less likely to sell and take a financial loss.
Old September 23, 2015, 05:37 AM   #47
BlueTrain

I've owned a few dozen over the years but never more than about two dozen at once, I think. I bought my first gun when I was in the army overseas. It wasn't until I was about 25 before I bought my first new gun and it sure seemed expensive.

In a sense I've regretted not being able to keep most (but not all) of them. The ones I had I acquired in no particular order. I can't quite claim that logic entered into any of the purchases. Mostly they were all things I learned something from, my chief interest in firearms being mainly nothing more than a simple interest in firearms, large and small.

No one else in the family (of those I count) have any particular interest in firearms, even including my son, who spent 15 months in Iraq as a tank crewman. As a matter of fact, not that many people in my family ever served in the military, of those still living. Besides my son, my son-in-law also did. He was in the Air Force, if that counts, but he went to Afghanistan. So when I go, I don't know what will happen to the remaining guns I have.

I've largely given up shooting but I'm still buying guns. Like I said, logic doesn't enter into the matter.

By the way, there never seemed to be any connection between how "good" the gun was and how much fun I got out of it.
Buy War Bonds.
Old September 23, 2015, 09:17 AM   #48
RJM

Man, I think at one time I had like 40 guns in the house...not anymore. I've bought/sold/traded a ton of firearms. If I didn't sell and trade, I would never have the money to use and shoot the different firearms that I have.

My interests have changed over time too. I used to duck hunt a lot, but now I don't. I used to really dig ARs, but now I don't. I used to really get into reloading for .45 colt single actions, but now I don't do that and don't have the time to do so even if I did. I used to hunt a bunch of deer too...but don't do that anymore.

I also got into a different hobby (cycling) about 5 years ago that has taken much of my time. I'm not about to give that up anytime soon, either since it makes me feel so great and healthy. Just only so much money, time, and desire.

I have a few more on my want list and I will be purchasing these over the next year or two, but my real goal is just to keep shooting the ones I have.