The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 3, 2010, 03:44 PM   #51
Big Bill

I carry my Ontario XM-1 whenever possible.

There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old February 4, 2010, 08:03 AM   #52
five40five

I know what you mean about the tip.My wife bought me a Buck 110 with a damascus blade and red bone handle and it would cut forever between sharpenings.I switched it out with my Western and took a small peice of the tip off while trying to work it like my old knife.I stoned it out but put it away and got my old freind out again.A good knife is a wonderful freind,by now the blade has been sharpened down about 25%.
Old February 4, 2010, 03:33 PM   #53
Stevie-Ray

Buck Mantis, Leatherman Micra, and the same NRA knife that kayakersteve posted about. Actually, it quite a nice little pocketknife. The Mantis is the only serious knife, the Micra is simply the handiest tool I've ever had.
Old February 4, 2010, 03:50 PM   #54
rantingredneck

Ah, yes, the Leatherman Micra. Never leave home without one.

My first day in the position I currently hold I found myself in a predicament.

I was the new boss, 31 years old and younger than all but one of my 40 staff. I had been at work for about an hour and a half when nature called. I went down the hall to the bathroom. This is a funky old building with a layout that only makes sense if you look at the various building plans as things have been added and changed over the years since it was built in the 50's. There's an anteroom before you enter the actual bathroom. Being the new guy I didn't know that the anteroom didn't have a doorknob on the inside of the door. I closed it, looked down and uttered a few expletives. I took care of what I had to take care of and then assessed my situation. I could have knocked loudly on the door and screamed like a 9 year old girl. Not confidnence inspring in the new boss. Not to mention this is a big building and an isolated bathroom at the end of a long hallway. So I got my Leatherman Micra out and went to work on what remained of a doorknob on the inside. Got myself out of the bathroom and then had the maintenance guy take that door down.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old February 5, 2010, 02:16 PM   #55
ndbbm

Hi, I carry two knives with me at all times. The first is a small crkt that I use as a money clip. The blade is only around two inches but is nice for small tasks such as opening packages and the like. The other knife is an emerson CQC-7 with the wave feature. This knife I picked for many reasons. First, the wave feature allows me to deploy it faster than any knife I have handled including autos. It has a 154 cm blade which means the edge lasts a hell of a lot longer than knives with softer metal and it was reasonably priced at around $170 when I bought it. I have used this knife for everything from gutting deer when I didn't have a larger knife to stripping wires while doing electrical work and it is just a tough knife. I also have an Emerson Karambit with the wave. This knife could be devastating! I watched Emerson's videos and know a little about how to use it and carry it sometimes. You have to become familiar with this knife because you could easily hurt yourself with it while training. Not much use for it other than killing though!
Old February 5, 2010, 02:27 PM   #56
jesus5150

I have a number of Ka-bar's that I carry. Not for defense so much as i've heard of people dying from getting things wrapped around their ankles at the lake and drowning, or seatbelts not opening in a car wreck (water or pile-up scenario) But I carry a Tanto blade, 4inch Kabar. Just right. It can be intimidating, or it can be just another tool. Just depends on how you present it.
Old February 5, 2010, 10:26 PM   #57
XpatBubba

Junglee Extreme Forces, great knife for the $$. I would say maybe the best in its price range.
Old February 6, 2010, 06:57 AM   #58
Diamond LawDawg

Dang

Carried a knife since Boy Scout days..always nice to slice cheese or salami..28 years as the POLICE it came in handy for all kinds of things...I know I wouldn't use it in a knife fight.." Don't bring a knife to a gun fight" and I've actually said that more than once..got some handsome Case knifes.and my German BOKER auto
Old February 6, 2010, 08:34 AM   #59
Straightshooter629

Since the beginning of my riding days, I've always carried a Schade folder in a leather sheath, and still do when I'm wearing jeans. I've recently added to my daily carry gear a Kershaw "O-so-sweet" assisited open. Either knife is good for general utility and each has just enough "get off of me" to get the job done.
Old February 6, 2010, 08:57 AM   #60
m.p.driver

Cant go wrong with a Swiss army knife.Years ago a friend was going through PLDC and wanted to get a big on your belt and can lop the head off a boar knife.I went down in the basement and came up with a box that i tossed to him.Swiss army tinker,told him to take it and if he didnt use it give it back.
Came back from the class and said everyone kept borrowing it when they hit the field.Ten hits on a stone and its shaving sharp,open MRE's,cans,removing splinters.
Mind you i go through a gun show and if i cant find anything i buy another knife,but when i walk out the door a swiss goes in my pocket.
Old February 6, 2010, 06:35 PM   #61
slayerjatt

i have two options to choose from. both were bought from china. the small one costs about $4 and the other one costs $8. they are quite handy and useful as tools besides being back-up weapons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00498.jpg (73.1 KB, 70 views)
Old February 7, 2010, 06:13 AM   #62
38splfan

Carry blades.

My daily carry knife, on duty and off, is an SOG Flash II folder. Drop point, half-serrated, assisted opener.
Being deployed as I am right now, I carry the SOG in the waistband of my pants and add a Gerber Gator in the ankle pocket of my ACU's. Large clip point folder, no assist, no serrations.
I do not carry a fixed blade for daily use, but one of the small KaBar knives which is kept around as a general tool. It makes a great hammer, nail puller, rope/cord cutter, box cutter, whittler, and paper-weight.
Aside from these three, I carry a Gerber multi-tool while in uniform and keep it close by when off duty.
Old February 7, 2010, 07:30 AM   #63
DMacLeod

I carry a benchmade everyday.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47228603@N05/4337479762/
Old February 10, 2010, 05:02 PM   #64
KAK

If I am carrying no gun or the LCP
Cold Steel Espada 5.5

Glock 27 or P226
Carry a Cold Steel Recon 1

Last edited by KAK; February 10, 2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old February 10, 2010, 05:21 PM   #65
Ridge_Runner_5

Some Gerber folder I bought at WalMart...its more of a utility knife for me...

Old February 11, 2010, 05:24 AM   #66
thor3599

Karambit for CC

I have had a karambit for some time and carry it primarily for SD. I have a CRKT that is my utilitarian/SD knife that I carry as well. I only carry the karambit when I'm going out to a place that trouble is more likely to occur e.g., the bar. I carry the karambit on my belt line. The one I have is from United Cutlery. I was suspect at first as to how well it would hold up because it was so inexpensive ($18.00). It's made of 440 stainless and it's powder coated. It has a Rockwell hardness of 53-58 and keeps an edge nicely. My karambit is sharp on both sides of the blade and works quite well for opening boxes, cutting strings, general purpose tool, etc. simply by turning it over and using the outer edge instead of the tip/inner edge. It is a fixed blade and came with a decent ABS sheath. I strongly recommend it as a CCW for SD purposes. The great thing about a decent karambit is that because you can hold it inverted (the blade extending from the bottom of your hand next to your pinky) your natural instinct to punch is gonna end up cutting an opponent/assailant for sure. Check it out. I hope this was helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Under Cover Karambit.jpg (6.3 KB, 41 views)

"The warrior in you is only as strong as your skill is sound and your equipment is reliable. Maintain your body, your mind and your gear." -S.R.T. Commander
Old February 11, 2010, 07:10 AM   #67
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
I carry a Kershaw Groove. Opens smooth, no flicking necessary. One twitch of the finger and it just glides open, no springs. Advertised in MN when I bought it at like 3.89" which was under the 4" limit. Grips very well and transition to ice pick is just as comfortable. The finger grooves give good grip plus decent texture on the plastic grip panels. It's a little heavy if you ask me but the edge has a nice flow to it that aids in slicing.

http://www.kershawknives.com/product...&brand=kershaw

It's either that or my Gerber Evo Jr. which has a small ~3" blade.

Hunting I carry a Cold Steel Black Rock Hunter and a Bushman. The BRH is slow to open but is a no frills balisong-like knife that went clean through the ribs of the two deer it was used to field dress. Honed right back up afterward.
Old February 11, 2010, 07:58 AM   #68
thor3599

CCW accompaniment knife

Crkt m21-14sfg

"The warrior in you is only as strong as your skill is sound and your equipment is reliable. Maintain your body, your mind and your gear." -S.R.T. Commander
Old February 11, 2010, 12:43 PM   #69
KSDeputy

Carry Knives to accompany your daily cc setup

The ccw law in KS has a list of over 20 places where you cannot carry, plus any business can display a no carry sign. After carrying most anywhere I wanted to for 30 years, this came as a real shock to me. I recently bought a Buck knife from a police officer that sells knives as a side business. I can open the knife with one hand, and I am practicing doing so to become faster. As a result of a hip replacement, I use a cane. It is made of an aluminum alloy. I saw a website that sold oak and hickory canes, but they would be much heavier. I did a test with the cane I use. I hit a plastic body part replica as hard as I could. It destroyed the plastic skull, left a small dent in the cane. It would certainly break a collarbone. You do not have to need a cane to use one, along with a knife if it is allowed, when you are forced to go into places where you cannot carry your firearm. Besides defensive tactics you need a weapon of some sort. A cane is not noticed as a weapon, but it can save your butt if you are attacked. The knife is better, but many places that prohibit guns may prohibit knives.
Old February 11, 2010, 01:11 PM   #70
howwie

A knife can save you as well as a gun in certain instances. I cant go into details, but where I live a man leaves a "location" because of threats against him. On his way walking the perps stop the car, 3 jump out, one with some sort of blunt weapon. All is said and done, one perp dead on scene another hospitalized for months and the other with deep lacerations and ran for his life. The man was only armed with a folding knife and no charges were pressed against him.
Old February 14, 2010, 10:30 AM   #71
The Tourist

I think we look at this problem backwards. In discussing knife/gun combinations I believe we unconsciously imagine that the knife chosen is an adjunct to our weapons system. I disagree here. I think the best way to pick a knife to enhance the gun is to not think of "defense" at all. Follow me on this.

If I have the "best" SD pistol made, then what I need is a tool, not another piece of weaponry. I'll still need to do simple repairs, open UPS boxes and cut my food.

If all of your daily carry items (including an edged tool) are geared for defense, you essentially have no knife with you.

Yes, a Kabar is a good knife. A tad clumsy to slice your steak at a restaurant. In a survey of Vietnam vets, the most common knife mentioned was their SAK.

My EDC items include two knives. The most useful is the little Spyderco Slip with a blade a touch over one inch long.

If you only carry five flashlights--but no gun--you can see quite well. But you need a SD device, be that a pistol, knife or contact weapon (like an ASP).

Your knife selection should have qualities not provided by your safety equipment.
Old February 14, 2010, 10:48 AM   #72
KenpoTex

Just a counterpoint...

There are knives that are purely designed as weapons (e.g. a push-dagger, double-edged blades, etc.). There are also knives that are purely utilitarian in design (slipjoints, SAKs, etc.). This does not mean that you can't select a tool that will do a decent job in both roles. For example, a folder with a reliable locking mechanism, one-handed opening capability, and a pocket clip. There are also numerous fixed-blade designs that can serve both roles.
Furthermore, there is nothing that says you can't carry more than one. I typically carry a fixed-blade (most often a push-dagger) near the centerline as a counter-grappling/"get the F off me" tool, but I also have a Spyderco folder and/or a SAK in my pocket for the everyday tasks.

Matt K.
Old February 14, 2010, 11:05 AM   #73
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenpoTex
there is nothing that says you can't carry more than one.
Oh, I couldn't agree more. The shapes of knives are designed for a myriad of uses. I carry a wharnecliffe that has some of its roots in horticulture.

But I meet lots of "Joe Lunchbox" types who enjoy guns, camping and hunting. Many times a guy like this will ask for a sharpening and produce one and only one knife--a frame lock hard-use knife right out of the pages of TK.

Yikes, we know he can fight, but how does he butter his cornbread?

I've seen some really spooky knives come back from Sturgis. Every one of them is caked in gravy, not blood.
Old February 14, 2010, 11:33 AM   #74
Tommy Vercetti

I carry a black stag handled chinese made "Colt" canoe pocket knife
Old February 14, 2010, 11:36 AM   #75
The Tourist

I had to google that model. Looks like a very useful and well designed cutting tool.