The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 22, 2009, 06:14 PM   #1
jalzm

Savage Model 1899 in 22 HP

I recently recieved this rifle from my father. The serial number is 123962. I believe it was manufactured in 1912. Does anyone have an idea of the value of this gun? It is in average condition for the age.
Old September 23, 2009, 07:56 AM   #2
PetahW

Simply giving the age, serial number, and chambering of a rifle isn't a good way to determine a value - since you haven't given enough information, nor posted any good/detailed pics, that would allow anyone to make any such judgement in an intelligent manner.

In real estate, value is based upon location, location, and location.

In guns, the value is based on condition, condition, and condition - meaning the % remaining of the original issue condition, and not simply "good" or "excellent".

If you cannot supply additional information, and/or pics, another way to roughly determine a value would be to surf gun auction sites, like gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com, for any closed/sold Savage 99's in .22HP in a like condition as yours, to see what someone would actually pay for one - the true indicator of value.

Old September 23, 2009, 12:01 PM   #3
Scorch

Older Savage 99s draw a pretty good price, especially in the more uncommon chamberings like the 22 HP. As PetahW says, condition is everything, I have seen beat up junkers sold for $150, and really fine condition standard grade rifles go for $1500. Yours will likely fall somewhere between those extremes.

If you have a good gun shop nearby, stop in and ask if they do appraisals or if they know someone who does. Most decent gunshops keep a copy of the Blue Book Of Gun Values around and thumb through it occasionally, so you can probably get an idea of market value there, but that is not an appraisal.