The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 31, 2009, 01:51 PM   #26
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Trouble is, once you call BS, they have to get more adamant about it so they don't get humiliated.
Once I call BS I am 100% sure usually that I am correct...

When they continue... I am quick to tell them "You can pee down my leg and tell me it is raining but I ain't gonna run for the umbrella"
Brent
Old August 31, 2009, 07:08 PM   #27
bcarver

true story

hunter shoots deer that takes to river.
hunter gets buddies to come get the "Huge Buck"
Hunter states "I shot him three times"
Five cases are found on river bank.
Hunter swear deer is in water right near far edge by a tree.
Buddy swims river with tow rope and ties to the deer.(right where hunter indicated)
Group pulls a 10" spread 6 point from the river.
Hunter swears that is not his deer and tries to get others to swim over for a second look.

I have found 25 lb turkeys shrink to 19 at the scales.

Last edited by bcarver; August 31, 2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old September 1, 2009, 05:42 AM   #28
Nevertoomanyguns

It’s all about where you live. Up here in Maine we usually judge a big buck by its weight and the rack comes second. We have a thing called the Biggest bucks of Maine club, where you get this red patch the shape of Maine with “The Biggest Bucks of Maine Club", written on it. To get this patch you have to shoot a buck that has a dressed weight of 200lbs or more. That is no guts, heart or liver in the buck when weighed. It has to be weighed at a certified tagging station with witnesses present. I have two of these patches so far with a 201# and a 213# buck. My Dad has two of these patches with a 235# buck and a 260# buck. My Grandfather has two of these patches with a 205# buck and a 226# buck, and my best friend has one of these patches with a 259# buck. So, they are out there. For some reason we alway underestimate the weight of our deer before we weigh them.

I also bass fish but I always have a scale and it is dead on with a certified 5#postal weight. I hate when someone says that they caught a such and such pound bass and you asked if they weighed them and they say no. I usually deduct a couple of pounds off the weight that they told me.
Old September 1, 2009, 06:18 AM   #29
SavageSniper

If I want a 200lbs of deer, I have to kill 3 of them were I hunt. I have killed a few that made 200, but thats total weight, on the hoof.
Old September 1, 2009, 08:13 AM   #30
sc928porsche

Strange how that 200# deer ends up being 70# in the packages, and ends up costing $30 a pound!
Old September 1, 2009, 08:32 AM   #31
knight0334

Field or dress weight doesn't matter - only the total weight of the packages of meat.

Hell, antlers and number of points dont matter either unless you hunt in a point requirement state/area.
Old September 1, 2009, 09:48 AM   #32
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
ends up being 70# in the packages, and ends up costing $30 a pound!

Hey, uh, just a suggestion.... but, if you're spending $2100 a year on deer hunting and ending up with 70lbs of meat..... you should find another hobby, probably.

I spend maybe $200 a year (soon to be less with a lifetime license) and get between 75-300 pounds of meat, depending on how good the year turns out.

(I realize you're taking a bit of "Exager-etic license" on that one.)

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; September 1, 2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old September 1, 2009, 10:50 AM   #33
sasquatch

Quote:
Hell, antlers and number of points dont matter either unless you hunt in a point requirement state/area.
They matter if you find one like this. Didn't get to weigh him, but he probably went 235-240, guts, feathers and all.....:

Old September 1, 2009, 11:06 AM   #34
koolminx

This thread is a friggin GEM and should be in a "Must Read" section!

I love it!

None of you are going to believe my first ever deer with a Bow nor the distance I shot it, not how friggin big it was!

I shot me a Fork & Horn Mule Deer in Utah (where I lived) from about 6 and a half feet away when I was 17, with a Bear Kodiak #55 recurve, and a Cedar shaft. That was the largest deer I ever saw in my life at the seconds I pulled back and released...

My friggin arrow knocked it over! I wore it like a Fox Stole as I walked back to my truck where my buddy was waiting for me. HE hollered at me when he say me come out of the woods, and said "I didn't hear you shoot, did you see anything or get anything?" (remember this was Bow season...) I shouted at him that I got me a spike! He said "sure you did, come on let's go further up the mountain."
As I got closer, maybe 100 feet away, he finally saw it.... I carried it all the way un-gutted over my shoulders...

Once it was gutted and hung in the tree, I doubt there was more than 80 lbs to the entire animal.... But it was my first with a bow and I was awful proud, and When I pulled back I could have sworn it was 50 feet away and 200 lbs rather than 6 feet away and under #80! What a hoot!
Old September 1, 2009, 12:46 PM   #35
Wild Bill Bucks

My deer are always at their lightest weight when they are first shot.
If they run more than 50 yards, they gain at least 10 lbs.
If they die in the thick brush, and require dragging to an opening, they gain another 10 lbs.
When lifting them onto my 4 wheeler, they gain at least 20 more pounds.
When I get back to camp and clean and hang them, they return to the original weight.

An honest weight for a good buck in our area is around 125lbs gutted, and a good doe is around 105 lbs gutted. On the average most of the bucks are around 105 lbs, and a doe is around 90 lbs.
Old September 1, 2009, 01:43 PM   #36
Nevertoomanyguns

If your paying $30 bucks a pound, you need to find a new hobby. We do all of our own butchering , its a alot cheaper. It is amazing how little meat comes off from a 200lbs deer though.
Old September 3, 2009, 06:59 PM   #37
James R. Burke

I live in Northern Michigan, and we do have some of the biggest whitetails. But most folks do over estimate them by a long ways. If you get a 150 pound deer that is really big in my book. You see guys get that 110 pound deer, and they have it at 175 or so. Most nice dressed out deer around here are about 130 or so if you want to be honest. Of course there are a few that are really big. I did see one on the scales at 242, and I would not believe it unless I seen it myself, and I did. It was a really old 8 pointer, and I do mean old he was all scared up and gray. But I aggree most hunters way over estimate the size by a long ways.