The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 25, 2013, 05:41 PM   #1
Chowder

Another failed hunt.

I failed in the sense that I have still yet to bag a rabbit. But at the end of my hike to find rabbit I was able to take this picture.

[/URL]

This is my third attempt at rabbit hunting and I got pretty close this time, I think its time to switch to a shotgun though. I took a shot at a hare that ran out from under my feet but it was to fast for me. I was using my Marlin XT-22 with scope at X2 power but I need more practice with moving shots. Overall it was a great trip and I got to see some amazing views and get stuck in a lot of heavy brush haha. Here are some other pictures from the trip.

Looks like a Moose was bedding down here. I saw a few of these but this one looked like it was from the previous night.

Blurry picture but this is what I was hacking through for a mile or two.

And this is how I let my worn out knees rest after a day in the mountains. Well worth it I would say.
Old January 25, 2013, 06:33 PM   #2
kraigwy

I never had any problems picking up rabbit where the Knick River Bridge crosses the Glen Hi Way or the flats where the Ekultna River crosses the hi Way.

I aways used my Savage M-24, 22/410. After a fresh snow I'd just follow the tracks until I kicked one out, if running I'd use the 410, if they stop, the 22.

Great pictures, almost makes me want to go back, Almost but not quite. Here I can pick up cotton tails in my back pasture with much less effort.

Still, great pictures, brings back some fond memories.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 25, 2013, 10:04 PM   #3
Chowder

Quote:
I never had any problems picking up rabbit where the Knick River Bridge crosses the Glen Hi Way or the flats where the Ekultna River crosses the hi Way.
I am going to try the flats next. I was up about 20 miles past the Matanuska glacier staying in a cabin for a few days so the hunting was secondary, but still fun. The flats will be much more convenient to get to from anchorage also.
Old January 26, 2013, 05:52 AM   #4
HiBC

Been a long time since I did any rabbit hunting,but I used to,a lot.

I disagree that you failed!Its how you measure success.

You got snow.Rabbits a generally where there are rabbit tracks.They don't roam far.

Shotguns are probably better for getting them easy.

But I learned to move a little slower,and use my eyes more.Sometimes their eye will be a distinctive image for you to recognise.Develop the skill to see them before they run.Also,its not unusual for them to only run little way then stop.Sometimes the sun,at the edges of cover.Sometimes,the shadows under a bush..

I like head popping them with a 22,

They cook up better that way than shotgunned.

But,its all good!

You got the main part,you went out.You saw what you took pix of,you settled down and took your boot off,after.Good day!

Now,when you get one,try this:

As low as you can go on the abdominal wall,just above the pelvis,lower belly,You make a cut.On the midline,toward the navel,about 1 1/2 in.Do not cut innards,just skin and abdominal wall.

Now,if you are right handed,use your left hand,grasp around the rabbit's ribcage,your hand right against the forlegs.This will drive the chest cavity contents down,toward your cut.Now,like you are finding a grip on a baseball bat,place your right hand around the rabbit and squeeze some.

The abdominal contents will be staining to escape your incision.

Now,like you are Babe Ruth smacking a homer,swing for the center field fence.

You will have a field stripped rabbit.

Now,if you want the skin off,pinch up some skin mid back and make a little starter cut,from there,just get some skin on each side of the cut,and pull in opposite directions.It will be like pulling a set of 2 piece long johns off the rabbit.Pull till all that is left in the hide is feet,tail,and head.

Clip those off.Do it right,you will have clean,relatively hairless meat to drop in a zip-lock

Last edited by HiBC; January 26, 2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old January 26, 2013, 07:12 AM   #5
globemaster3

HiBC, your technique is quite similar to how the SERE instructors taught us in survival school @ Fairchild AFB. It's pretty slick!
Old January 26, 2013, 07:34 AM   #6
jason_iowa

Great pictures. Looks like a pretty great day even if you did not get bunny for dinner.
Old January 26, 2013, 07:59 AM   #7
Kreyzhorse

You may not have bagged a rabbit but from those pictures it is hard to call that a failed hunt.
Old January 26, 2013, 11:38 AM   #8
BIGR

Quote:
You may not have bagged a rabbit but from those pictures it is hard to call that a failed hunt.
I will second that. With that scenery I personally would not call that a failed hunt. Very nice indeed, success will come later for sure.
Old January 26, 2013, 11:51 AM   #9
buck460XVR

Like the others, I fail to see it as a failed hunt. When you get old, a failed hunt is one you don't come home from. Beautiful country and looks to have been a nice day. Could be your knees got worn out from collecting all that firewood in your 4th pic.
Old January 26, 2013, 03:30 PM   #10
SPEMack618

my LadyFriend's dad likes to say that a bad day golfing/hunting/fishing is better than a good day at work.

I would say that logic certainly applies here.
Old January 29, 2013, 04:43 AM   #11
Chowder

Quote:
my LadyFriend's dad likes to say that a bad day golfing/hunting/fishing is better than a good day at work.
Truer words have not been spoken. I am beginning to really love just being in the woods. I didn't grow up hunting so I suppose I just have a longer learning curve. I am currently building an AR-15 that would be great for coyote so I think I will have more success the more I try.
Old January 29, 2013, 06:29 AM   #12
HiBC

Cool on building the AR!

I suggest you do not shoot rabbits with it if you want to eat them.

Actually,for a pure-d rabbit gun,that kraigwy got it right!A savage 24...its an old break action ,like a single shot shotgun,but its an over and under ,with a .22 barel on top.At first,410 was the shotgun option,later it went to a 20 ga option.

As long as you have snow,that little tip about rabbits being where you find rabbit tracks will take you pretty far toward success.Edges.They like to catch a little sun,but inches from cover.Think like a rabbit.They have predators in the sky and on the ground.Good luck!
Old January 29, 2013, 06:33 AM   #13
HiBC

One more thing..

In some old book I once read"When hunting rabbits in India ,be prepared to meet a tiger"

Not many tigers in AK,but they do have bears.
Old January 29, 2013, 12:56 PM   #14
Chowder

Quote:
Cool on building the AR!

I suggest you do not shoot rabbits with it if you want to eat them.
Yeah I think anything moving close to 3000 FPS on a rabbit probably doesn't leave much left haha.

Quote:
Actually,for a pure-d rabbit gun,that kraigwy got it right!A savage 24...its an old break action ,like a single shot shotgun,but its an over and under ,with a .22 barel on top.At first,410 was the shotgun option,later it went to a 20 ga option.
I have been keeping my eye out for one of these or something similar since I heard about them. Seems like the perfect small game gun and just a slick gun to add to the collection. I have seen some of the CZ models in .22/20 gauge but they were a little more money than I was wanting to spend at the time.

Quote:
Not many tigers in AK,but they do have bears.
Very true, not a huge concern this time of year but I learned how common bear was up here my first summer. A decent sized black bear almost strolled into my friends garage. We were getting ready to BBQ and saw him round the corner of the house, he saw us, paused then turned around and strolled the other way like he was taking a walk in the park. I have been carrying my 1911 with BB hard cast .45 but am thinking of a 460 Rowland conversion before I start hiking a lot next summer.
Old January 29, 2013, 09:21 PM   #15
shootniron

Great pictures and you certainly didn't fail when you were blessed to have a day in that beautiful country and get to retire to a nice warm fire.
Old January 29, 2013, 09:26 PM   #16
Scorch

Doesn't sound like a failed hunt to me. You got out and walked around, you got some shots off, and you didn't have to clean rabbits before sitting down in front of the fire. How is that a failed day?
Old February 6, 2013, 09:08 PM   #17
shredder4286

Beautiful pictures. Feel free to post those any time you go out hunting. Many of us who are confined by buildings get quite a release by looking at the wilderness. I've always wanted to go to Alaska...
Old February 7, 2013, 02:14 AM   #18
Chowder

Quote:
Beautiful pictures. Feel free to post those any time you go out hunting. Many of us who are confined by buildings get quite a release by looking at the wilderness. I've always wanted to go to Alaska..
Thanks, I'm glad everyone enjoyed the pictures. I am going to try to hunt the Palmer hay flats as kraigwy suggested this weekend. I don't know if I will be on call yet but if not I will be there. I will make sure to bring my camera. The first picture I posted on this thread I almost couldn't believe that was the view I was seeing. I sat there for a good 15 minutes before getting the camera out.
Old February 7, 2013, 08:18 AM   #19
shredder4286

Quote:
The first picture I posted on this thread I almost couldn't believe that was the view I was seeing. I sat there for a good 15 minutes before getting the camera out.
That's worth 100 rabbits right there.
Old February 8, 2013, 03:11 PM   #20
BuckRub

With the others, Thats far from a failed hunt. Hunting is sometimes you win and sometimes the game but those photos and cabin are whats its all about the animals are just icing on the cake.
Old February 8, 2013, 05:03 PM   #21
Guv

Watch out for the Saber Tooth Bunnies.
Old February 8, 2013, 11:44 PM   #22
SGreve32x

If I lived there, I would be hunting something a little bigger than bunnies,lol.
Old February 9, 2013, 12:07 AM   #23
jason_iowa

Hey, You did not have to go to an office that day. Every hunt is a success!
Old February 9, 2013, 01:01 AM   #24
Chowder

Quote:
If I lived there, I would be hunting something a little bigger than bunnies,lol.
Don't worry, that will come in time haha. I am hoping to go for a black bear this spring, I only have until December in Alaska then I am moving on.
Old February 9, 2013, 01:04 AM   #25
Chowder

Quote:
Watch out for the Saber Tooth Bunnies.
[/URL]