The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 4, 2015, 05:10 PM   #1
tank1949

Sneaky Pete Holsters

I have been corresponding with Beth at SP on a concealed carry holster to fit my Charter Arms 5 shot undercover pistols. I want to add a laser but she indicated it is almost impossible for revolvers. She has been very helpful. However, SP's web site will not provide xray view of how similar in size S&W models keeps from moving clock and counter clockwise inside holster. It seems that there ought to be some sort of Kydex barrel insert to prohibit canting. Or, is it that holster provides such a tight fit, this canting is eliminated? I have also examined purchasing a Kimber with CT laser grips that SP says they have a holster to fit. But, at almost 8oo bucks for the Kimber, I'd like to make my Charter fit.
Old September 5, 2015, 09:05 AM   #2
45Gunner

Awhile back, I purchased a Sneaky Pete Holster just to see what they were all about. I bought it for my Kimber Ultra. The holster holds the gun in place with very little wiggle room. It's a good fit without being too snug.

I wore the holster a couple of times but it felt too big and out of place...that's just me. I have a friend that wears one all the time. No one would ever guess there is a gun in there and the most popular comment is, "Hey, that's one big cell phone ya' got there."
NRA Life Member
Old September 5, 2015, 09:48 PM   #3
Onward Allusion

I have 3 SP holsters. One for the P3AT, one for the P11, & 1 for the J-Frame. Let me tell ya, the only one that remotely looks like a cell phone case is the one for the P3AT. The other two, I don't use too often.

External lasers for revolvers are few and far between. The options are laser-grips from Crimson Trace or Houge and laser side-plates from LaserLyte.

The other issue is that SP doesn't make a holster specifically for Charter Arms revolvers. The inside of the holster has a steel bar that conforms to the shape of the gun it is holding so that it doesn't shift. If it isn't a perfect fit, it ain't gonna fit and you will have to tear out the metal bar. OK for a small thing like a P3AT but for a revolver, it will impact the external shape of your holster eventually.
Old September 5, 2015, 10:43 PM   #4
tank1949

I was wondering how the gun fit snugly. THX!
Old September 7, 2015, 10:47 AM   #5
Joe_Pike

Quote:
No one would ever guess there is a gun in there
Unless you're a gun guy. Everytime I see something like this , the first thought is "Gun." The same goes for fanny packs.
Old September 8, 2015, 06:19 AM   #6
tank1949

You are right about suspecting it as a gun "bag," but as long as the BATF and COPS are cool with it, I am cool with it. Being fat, the paddle, inside the waste band holsters are too uncomfortable. I haven't found holster to cover up CA grips, which also allows it to be concealed inside front pant pocket. I have examined plenty of slip ons but the grip stick out for all to see.
Old September 9, 2015, 03:15 PM   #7
ssn vet

the more they advertise, the less "sneaky" Pete's holsters are.
Old September 10, 2015, 10:21 PM   #8
Onward Allusion

It isn't so much about being "sneaky" but more about not freaking out those who are not "into" guns while in public.
Old October 6, 2015, 10:05 AM   #9
tank1949

Charter Arms 5 shotter was a perfect fit. I now have to figure a way to trim CT laser grips so that they will also work. thx!!!
Old October 7, 2015, 08:09 AM   #10
vito

I bought two Sneaky Pete holsters a few years ago, and honestly, never use them. One was for my Ruger LCP, but when I added a laser it no longer fit in the holster. The second was for a J-frame snubby, but was so large that I actually was asked a few times if I was carrying a gun "in that case". Mostly now I pocket carry, either the j-frame or a compact 9mm semi, using a Remora holster. As the weather gets colder and I am wearing other than t-shirts as outerwear, I switch to a Bianchi OWB for whichever of the two guns that I mentioned. While most people do not even notice the Sneaky Pete, it certainly is more obvious that you are carrying than if you use a more discreet and concealed method.
Old October 7, 2015, 09:10 AM   #11
tank1949

Vito, Being fat, the paddle type inside the belt holsters are very uncomfortable. SPs are 100% sneaky, but it is the best that a fat man can do.