The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 9, 2014, 11:26 AM   #1
mykeal

ROA Grips needed

I have recently become the owner of 3 Ruger Old Army revolvers (blued), which, strangely enough, do not have grips. I intend to equip at least one with American Holly, and the other two are open to whatever comes along that I find attractive - probably walnut, but a nice birdseye maple or even cherry might work.

Holly is hard to find and expensive, so I'm willing to take on the task of finding the blanks if someone could provide the minimum dimensions required.

I need a grip maker, however. Any suggestions?
Old April 9, 2014, 12:48 PM   #2
fdf

http://www.gungripsupply.com/

http://herrettstocks.com/index-2.html#contents
Old April 9, 2014, 01:52 PM   #3
PetahW

There are both several good gripmakers, plus new and/or used XR-3 sized grips F/S, over on www.rugerforum.com

Old April 9, 2014, 01:56 PM   #4
robhof

robhof

ROA grips are interchangeable with the newer model Blackhawks, and Ebay usually has a large selection of grips for the Blackhawk. Some grips may require minimal fitting, but I have 2 Blackhawks, a Single Six and 2 ROA's and all the grips interchange.
Old April 9, 2014, 03:32 PM   #5
Doc Hoy

Mykeal

Nice to see your name on posts once again.
Old April 9, 2014, 06:26 PM   #6
mykeal

Quote:
There are both several good gripmakers, plus new and/or used XR-3 sized grips F/S, over on www.rugerforum.com
I posted the request on that forum a few days ago, and got only one response, that about using ivorywood. No responses about grip makers. There is at least one very good grip maker on that forum (he made an excellent set for my Single Six a few years ago), but no response from him. I wrote him an email and left a message on his voice mail, no response from those either.

Thanks, looking into those...

Doc - thanks.
Old April 9, 2014, 06:32 PM   #7
fdf

Nice to see your return, I have learned a lot over the years from your knowledge.

I have taken a liking to Hogue rubber grips on my ROAs, but you did not ask about rubber. Not sure what Hogue, makes in wood or if they do.

If you want the best, do a search for "Rink Pistol Grips, get out your Gold card and hang on.

Last edited by fdf; April 9, 2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old April 9, 2014, 06:57 PM   #8
Hawg

Altamont makes some pretty decent grips at a reasonable price. I put a set on my Single Six before I sold it. http://www.altamontco.com/experiment..._blackhawk.php

Old April 9, 2014, 10:15 PM   #9
mykeal

Thanks, Hawg - Altamont does indeed do a very nice job.

What I need is a custom grip maker - somebody to make a set of ROA grips out of wood I supply, in the case of the Holly grips I want.

Gun Grip Supply makes some bonded ivory grips that are close, and they can supply the Ruger medallions for an extra $10. I'll probably get one set of those and continue looking for someone to make the Holly grips.

I actually have a set of the Hogue rubber grips for my Single Six; ugliest grips I've ever owned but nice to shoot with. I haven't tried them on an ROA - don't have the heart for it.
Old April 10, 2014, 01:26 PM   #10
robhof

robhof

I prefer the Taylor style extended grips, they give me a little more grip to the gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0452.JPG (236.6 KB, 29 views)
Old April 10, 2014, 02:45 PM   #11
Idaho Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykeal
I posted the request on that forum a few days ago, and got only one response.....

Gonna blow some smoke (pun intended): I personally learned more on this site about BP than just about any other. BTW, screw holes on my ROA grips are wallowed out, might go the BH route.
Old April 10, 2014, 03:02 PM   #12
Fingers McGee

Mykeal, +1 to Docs post. Good to see you back.

I just recently ran into the guy that made my Navy's Holly grips 10 years ago - he had moved to Tenn & didn't leave a forwarding address; but is back in MO now. He's got a blank of holly that will make five or six sets of grips. He will be picking up another pair of my Navies and a derringer this Saturday to put Holly on.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 10, 2014, 06:22 PM   #13
mykeal

Oh, my.

His phone number, please.

Please, please, please.
Old April 10, 2014, 06:40 PM   #14
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykeal
Oh, my.

His phone number, please.

Please, please, please.
PM sent.

BTW, ask him about the other woods too.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 11, 2014, 05:04 AM   #15
mykeal

Contacted. We got a deal to put holly on one of the ROA's, looking at the other woods for the other two.

Many thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.
Old April 11, 2014, 02:46 PM   #16
Fingers McGee

Glad to have been of service

Tags
grips roa