The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 29, 2010, 02:22 PM   #1
ks_wayward_son

collection question

This question may seem a bit strange but, when you give an address for your C&R collection (a.k.a "premises"), are you expected to actually keep the guns stored at the listed location? For instance I have a gun that is currently being stored at my parent's, and it was bought under my license. Would this technically be a no-no?
Old April 29, 2010, 09:50 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I think the presumption is that the guns in your collection are under your control and that would normally mean on your premises. They would probably also consider a gun under your control if, say, it was in your parent's home, but locked in a safe to which you and only you had the combination.

But if you left the gun with your parents for their use (home defense, for example), it would not be under your control, it would be under theirs. You could sell the gun to your father or mother or help them buy one for the purpose, but I think BATFE would say it is not part of your collection if someone else can access it unknown to you.

The only real answer to the question would come from BATFE.

Jim
Old May 22, 2010, 12:55 AM   #3
ks_wayward_son

Called ATF a few days ago, thought I'd just post a reply if anybody else happened to have the same question. The answer, Yes...one is expected to keep firearms purchased under the license on the premisis designated in your FFL. I know, common sense...but just a question I'd had.
Old May 22, 2010, 06:36 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

If you keep one or two of your C&R guns at your parents house I don't think BATF&E is going to build a case against you. one or two hundred, then yes, they may build a case against you.
Old May 24, 2010, 05:16 PM   #5
rr2241tx

Easy solution to that: log the guns at your parent's house out of your bound book as gifts to them. Nothing says you can't re-acquire a particular gun previously entered into your book.