The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old March 11, 2010, 12:05 PM   #51
Hook686

There are always other options. I have a USGI M1 Carbine and a 12 gauge Remington 1100, with 18 inch barrel, available. Both seem to me to have place in my HD considerations. If I were to be limited to just one, I'd take the carbine.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old March 11, 2010, 08:35 PM   #52
coldpointcrossing

I'm comfortable with it...

Shotgun or rifle for HD?

I have both but I chose my 12 gauge. I keep it partially loaded with heavy dove shot followed by #00 if necessary.
Old March 11, 2010, 08:43 PM   #53
KAK

My AR is setup like this:

Trijicon Reflex on top
TLR-1 on bottom rail
Timney 3lb trigger
30RND PMAGS

Ammo is - Hornady 55gr VMAX
Old March 12, 2010, 07:57 AM   #54
pax

Deleted a few for incivility.

pax
Old March 12, 2010, 11:47 AM   #55
pinetree

I answered before, but to get to the question, rifle or shotgun - answer - YES
Old March 24, 2010, 01:29 AM   #56
LafeHubert

My wife passed five years ago. She was 5 foot zero to my 6 foot one former-Marine, and had never touched a firearm until we met and married in San Bernadino in '64. I taught her to shoot rifle, pistol and shotgun using light versions of each until she found firearms she could comfortably use. That turned out to be .243 Winchester, 20 ga. and .38 Special. She gave .308, 12 ga. and .357 Mag a good whirl, then decided. I had to cut almost 2 inches off the stock of the Stevens 20 ga. SxS bird gun to make it fit her, and she became quite good at quail. The night that I was away at work and the bozo with the knife broke into the house, she shot him with both barrels of Remington #6 shot at about 15 feet, and made him dead right there. She had chose #6 shot over buckshot because she was worried about buckshot over penetrating. She never cried about it or made apologies; she changed clothes and helped my mother and I clean up the mess after the Coroner's people departed. What she did was never for a moment considered a crime, but we had to take out a loan to pay to fight his family's civil suit. His kin and friends hounded and harassed us until we had to move almost 500 miles north into the trees to find peace again.

The pertinent parts are:

a. She chose a firearm she was comfortable with and capable of using well.
b. She made an informed choice about the ammunition.
c: No firearm ever made would have got that guy any more dead.
d: She survived.
e: We had our life wrecked by an twisted idiot with a knife and a ski mask.

This is not all just pick your gun to fit your mindset. It is making choices about what you can and may have to do when terrible events claw at your life, and that those events can savage you even if you survive. It's all dreadfully serious.

Personally, I choose a Remington 870 12 ga. pump with a 20" bbl and #1 buckshot and a Springfield Armory GI .45. Both will do what they have done for generations, and not overly upset the police when they show up. Mostly I just pray I don't need them.

Good Luck

"Always place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark" Lazarus Long
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Old March 24, 2010, 02:34 AM   #57
IYAAYAS

Quote:
A shotgun is fine, but it has 6 shots and needs to be reloaded. My AR has 5 times that many rounds in 1 magazine and can be reloaded with 30 more rounds faster than I could put 2 into the shotgun.

If you need more than 6 rounds out of a 12 gauge for home defense purposes, I believe you probably have a bigger problem than even an AR with 30 rounds can handle.

Just sayin.
Old March 24, 2010, 06:38 AM   #58
southernmaninla

Remington 870 police magnum pump 8 shot extension Buckshot or bolo shot
Old March 24, 2010, 07:27 PM   #59
Vt.birdhunter

Depends on the application:

Mossberg 500 when Im home in new york, very urban here, small house, close ranges, over penetration issues.

In VT, I go for my AR with XS 24/7 tritium stripe front post and tritium rear-
bad guys maybe coming up driveway from 100 yards or so, coyotes by bird pen 50 yards out- both shots a bit long for a shotgun.

Nothing like the right tool for the job
Old March 26, 2010, 09:56 PM   #60
TenRing

There is no right or wrong answer. You have to consider what is the most likely home defense scenario and then prepare for that. If you have a home invasion at 3 AM, you don't want to be fumbling or fiddling with several weapons. You want to grab your long gun and back it up with your handgun. You need to be mobile, quiet and stealth and you need to make the first shots count. Don't worry about the 30 round magazine because your threats should have been neutralized with the first two or three shots. I would opt for compactness over bulk. A six or eight round shotgun and a six shot revolver are standard equipment for homeowners.
Old March 26, 2010, 10:09 PM   #61
benEzra

Whatever you're most competent with. The firearm choices listed in the OP are all suitable.

My own preference would be a 16" barreled carbine shooting 55gr .223 JHP's, with a light and optic.
Old April 18, 2010, 10:55 PM   #62
FireForged

If I must fight inside my house there are only (2) firearms that I am going to consider. A 12ga shotgun loaded with #4 (16 pellet) Buckshot or a handgun loaded with 357 jhp.
Old May 8, 2010, 05:47 PM   #63
WVfishguy

I can't believe no one mentioned the AR platform's superiority over a shotgun for defense against Zombies.

Just kidding.

I will always prefer a shotgun to a .223/.308, but ammo manufacturers are now making very good defense rounds in .30 carbine. A 130 grain JHP .30 cal going more than 2,000 fps should be devastating.
Old May 8, 2010, 06:24 PM   #64
Deaf Smith

Quote:
I will always prefer a shotgun to a .223/.308, but ammo manufacturers are now making very good defense rounds in .30 carbine. A 130 grain JHP .30 cal going more than 2,000 fps should be devastating.
Sounds like a AK-47! From the 16 inch AK, the 122 gr slug really gets around 2200 to 2300 fps.
Old May 8, 2010, 06:30 PM   #65
SouthCali

Quote:
A AR-15/Mini-14/AK-47 will do fine within limits.
Something about thse guns, PRIMARILY the Ak-47 as home defense widens my eyes
Old May 8, 2010, 09:38 PM   #66
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Something about thse guns, PRIMARILY the Ak-47 as home defense widens my eyes
5.56 isn't bad at all. The fragable HPs penitrate less than 9mm. But the blast is pretty, well, alot inside a room.

The 7.62x39, AK-47 that is, suffers from no real fragable bullet. Even soft point will do through alot. It would depend on where you live and how many good backstops you have in the house.
Old May 8, 2010, 10:22 PM   #67
ClydeFrog

12ga shotgun for HD/protection...

I do not really advocate either type of firearm for home protection in general but they can be useful under limited conditions.

I'd pick a 12ga with a few tricked out add-ons over a M4/M-16 or AR semi auto rifle. www.POF-USA.com has a few slick M4/duty rifles in 5.56mm/7.62mm/6.8SPCII.
A Remington 870/1100 or a Mossberg 590 or a Browning BPS could handle most critical incidents in a urban/suburban area.

CF
Old May 11, 2010, 12:03 AM   #68
SVO

I could be being short sighted ....

Living in Hurricane country, I consider most likey use of home defense weapon will be not from home invasion but due to the aftermath of a bad storm. I view the use of the pistol for personal defense, shotgun for home defense and rifle for neighborhood defense against potential un-wanted visitors or looters. Also, I know that lots of people advocate the use of OO buck. My gut feel is that a #2 or #4 shot would be a better close in load for use in the home. What research I have done into the optimum shotgun load hasn't turned up anything concrete one way or another. about all I have found is a short blurb by Clint Smith on using #2 in a HD shotgun but nothing as to why use #2. A better shot pattern perhaps? Perhaps this is a hi-jack of this thread and should be posted separately. If so, I apoligize in advance.
Old May 20, 2010, 04:59 PM   #69
Mutatio Nomenis

At the far end, I'd recommend something like a bullpup AK (make it happen, Mikhail!) However, being realistic, I'd say shotgun. Just pumping the slide is enough to make most people wish that they had brought their brown pants.
Old May 21, 2010, 09:25 PM   #70
Xyas

Unless that someone is doped up on drugs and not scared of anything. I highly recommend not pumping your shotgun unless it's a last resort...it gives away your position, and gives away that you have a shotgun. It just seems iffy to me.
Old May 22, 2010, 02:02 AM   #71
Mutatio Nomenis

^I'd be hoping that it'd make them chicken out. Your mileage defintely will vary. In areas where your most likely invaders are to be teenagers on a dare, then it's a fair gamble. However, if you've got gangsters who are career criminals and don't have any qualms about killing, then I'l suggest something like a P38 which you would just have to load and pull the trigger.
Old May 22, 2010, 09:56 AM   #72
Glenn E. Meyer

I'm going to close this as we have descended into cliche-babble.

Racking the shotgun as a sound effect vs. the crazed druggie.

Yawn!

GEM