The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 16, 2013, 08:14 PM   #26
rrockefe

One thing to keep in mind...Cuomo has presidential aspirations for 2016; considering competing with Hillary in the primaries. My guess is that's one reason behind his all out effort on the gun control issue....firming up his liberal base in advance. Once the legislature went under democratic control in the last election, it's pretty much open season on guns and whatever the dems want to do. Just don't forget Cuomo's role !!!
Old January 16, 2013, 11:05 PM   #27
Glenn E. Meyer

TX Lt. Gov is posting facebook ads asking gun loving NY residents to move to TX. Well, some of them are here (by way of many years in Oregon - though).

The gun companies should come to - I e-mailed Gov. Perry to get on it.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:14 PM   #28
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'm considering Texas and Florida at the moment.

Hot down there.

Cold up here.

I don't like either.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:23 PM   #29
Glenn E. Meyer

Lived through blizzards in Buffalo, the Inferno in San Antonio, the eternal rain in Oregon.

Whatever - there is no perfect place for weather. OR and TX - ok for guns. TX - great housing prices.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:24 PM   #30
RamItOne

Brian
I just prepped the lawn wearing shorts and a t shirt. Gotta love florida. Finding an ice scraper down here is about as rare as finding .223

Glen
When did you leave SA
When I moved there from Fl housing was like being at a half off sale.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 16, 2013, 11:25 PM   #31
SPEMack618

My home town has an empty industrial building with the same amount of acreage as the Kimber plant(I think) and would love the influx of jobs, money, and maybe some more eight rounders for the Government Model.

I sent an email to Governor Deal's office but highly doubt anything comes of it.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:58 PM   #32
war_elephant

I think Boycotts wont help in this case, but...what I do think will help is as productive people leave the state, leaving behind millions with their hands out and no one to contribute, it will have a telling effect, just like in California. People vote with their feet. My buddy has a cabin in Upstate NY, he put it up for sale this morning I am told. I am aware of several other friends I snowmobile with who are doing the same thing. Once the payers leave, or most of them, what happens then?
Also what happens if Remington, and Kimber both decide to leave NY? Will be interesting to see what happens.
Old January 17, 2013, 12:07 AM   #33
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Make the drive to Florida. Take Highway 81 all the way across Virginia and Tennessee, then take I-75 through Georgia. It takes you through the Shenandoah and crosses the Appalachians. It's the most beautiful country east of the Rockies. Chilly in the winters, but nothing like New York.

Wherever you go, you've got shall-issue carry permits, no state-level restrictions on ownership, and you can find .45 Auto Rim in hardware stores
Old January 17, 2013, 12:09 AM   #34
SPEMack618

And our football teams down here win...a lot.

Even if gets stick coordinating the first day of dove season with the first home game of the year.
Old January 17, 2013, 06:29 AM   #35
PATH

New York has lost about 1 million people in the last 10 years. How many Fortune 500 companies have their HQ's in NY as compared to 30 years ago. A drive through upstate NY is positively depressing. Industry has moved out. Financial companies set up elsewhere due to taxes and regs.
New York State is heading towards bankruptcy and the ever increasing taxes are driving people out. I was born and raised here but this is the final straw. I was looking to bail already due to the taxes and the high cost of living.
I can't believe the number of for sale signs I have seen here in the last few years. Folks are getting out of Dodge.
What is there to boycott? Heck, just don't spend money here. God knows industry has pretty much fled.
Get ready folks Obama and his comrades are coming for you next!

'How MacPherson Held The Floor'
Old January 17, 2013, 06:33 AM   #36
youngunz4life

OriginalPost

Quote:
Boycott NY?
this is one of the reasons many people support National CCW. The LEOs make out like bandits in this situation because they can still travel thru NY no questions asked under the federal law LEOSA. States would still be the entities that would decide the parameters(spelling?) of receiving a CCW in their state if USA had a CCW like a driver's license.

Of course, there are varying viewpoints on my opinion above(which is just an opinion)
Old January 17, 2013, 06:59 AM   #37
tango1niner

Gents, all I can say is " we're on it " trying to get this crappy legislation overturned. Need names on petitions.
Old January 17, 2013, 08:44 AM   #38
thallub

i will not boycott products made in NY state. That is counterproductive. It's not the fault of law abiding NY gunowners that non-gun owning antis in NY City drive the agenda for the state.
Old January 17, 2013, 09:18 AM   #39
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

What products are actually made in NY? I suppose there must be some but I can't readily think of many... besides Remington.

Most manufacturing was driven out of here decades ago...
Smith Corona, Rubber Maid, Wilson, Brockway... That's just one small city.
Old January 17, 2013, 09:28 AM   #40
NJgunowner

Quite frankly the way things work in NY... and NJ for that matter is if you decided to boycott NY the only thing they'll say is "another gun owner not coming to this state, working as intended".

Last edited by NJgunowner; January 17, 2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old January 17, 2013, 10:54 AM   #41
Glenn E. Meyer

Many of the Easter antigun majority states look to be passing the same laws, it seems. We have a post of a MA law proposal.

I do think it behooves the gun industry to move though. TX has all they need for their businesses and they could probably get a good start up break.
Old January 17, 2013, 01:42 PM   #42
godot

If I have to visit NYC, I'm Xeroxing small slips of paper that say

$_____________ will be donated to the NRA to assist you in regaining your full 2nd Amendment rights.

So if the check is $53, $10.60 (20%) will be donated to the NRA. Manhattan is a tips driven city and I think this is a perfect way to "bring the war home".
Old January 17, 2013, 10:25 PM   #43
Willie Sutton

i will not boycott products made in NY state. That is counterproductive. It's not the fault of law abiding NY gunowners that non-gun owning antis in NY City drive the agenda for the state.

The moral position of firearms owners should be to drive NY State into bankruptcy, disfunction, and financial and political ruin, so that it becomes an absolute requirement to re-think all of the political system there. Not supporting anything from NY financially is one way to act. Moving out and taking your financial and intellectual capacity away from the failed system is another way to act. Moving your own business away is yet another. Let it fail so that it may be rebuilt later.

Or, for those who think: "Who is Jon Galt?"

Wherever you go, you've got shall-issue carry permits, no state-level restrictions on ownership, and you can find .45 Auto Rim in hardware stores

Sign me up! No more half moon clips for the S&W 1955 target? Now that's a good place to live...

Willie

Old January 17, 2013, 10:56 PM   #44
hermannr

There are a couple things. Work with your out of NY state governments to try lure Remington an Kimber out of NY to your state. I think FL has the edge on Remington as they aready have a plant there...By By Ilion, NY.

The second thing is to do everything you can to get your reresentitives in Congress to make sure NO PORK heads to NY (for any reason)
Old January 17, 2013, 11:00 PM   #45
sigcurious

Quote:
NO PORK heads to NY (for any reason)
If you take away their bacon they'll crumble!
Old January 17, 2013, 11:01 PM   #46
BigD_in_FL

Quote:

Hot down there.

Cold up here.

I don't like either.
I grew up in NYC, lived in TX, now in FL (via several other places)

It is 75 degrees here right now, no state income tax, no NYC income tax and cheap housing at the moment - what's not to like?

BTW, you either get used to the heat, or you run your AC a little more
Old January 17, 2013, 11:32 PM   #47
tynman

The one thing we ALL can do and have to do is stick together and not roll over for them... I dont think they will feel a boycott because they have all the money they want and if they want more all they have to just do is raise NYers taxes and puff they have a raise for themselves.

The one thing I have been saying for years now only way we can fix this is if they are not doing a good job working for us fire them (dont reelect them) Give them one term to do a good job. If they dont get them out. Not reelect them and give them a career in doing a crappy job... I know if you or me where doing a crappy job at ourr jobs Im sure they wouldnt keep me...
Old January 18, 2013, 12:10 AM   #48
Webleymkv

While I've never been nor do I intend to be a resident of NY, I can sympathize with residents of the state as I grew up in IL which seems to be in a similar position: the balance of power seems to rest with one large metropolitan area that can, in effect, hold the rest of the state hostage. As was is the case with IL, it seems as though NY is too far gone to be fixed from within and, as such, it's time to take things to the national level through litigation. In my view, the best hope for saving Second Amendment rights in states like NY and IL is the Second Amendment Foundation and similar groups that bring lawsuits at the federal level. While federal involvement in state matters normally makes me very uneasy, the abuses of the state of NY is so egregious that I feel federal-level litigation is probably the only recourse at this point. Abuses of power such as this are the reason that the 14th Amendment became necessary.
Old January 18, 2013, 12:27 AM   #49
Texshooter

Not so much a matter of boycotting NY, but rather telling weapons companies in non-free states that they need to relocate, they need to stop selling to NY,etc.

I think the NYPD uses no where near the ammo that the civilian market uses.

I think Glock makes a ton more money selling to civiliams than to NYPD. Tell Glock if they want more of your business then they should only sell 7 round mags to NY.

Things like this.

I have contacted a big ammunition co (mainly reloads) that sells a ton to PD's. He will no longer sell, or at the very least sell at a discount, ammo to Gov't agencies in non-free states. Or he will not discount the items lower than what is done for retail sales.

We are stronger than anyone realizes - as long as we keep the burners going.
Old January 18, 2013, 08:40 AM   #50
Willie Sutton

Not so much a matter of boycotting NY, but rather telling weapons companies in non-free states that they need to relocate, they need to stop selling to NY,etc.

Do you *really* think that large industrial businesses in general care?

They are going to make rational decisions.

What do you think it would actually take to move a business the size of Remington or S&W?

What do you think it would cost?

Does anyone REALLY think that companies who sell products to law enforcement and government users will "bpycott" them to send a message?

(and "Yes" I know that Mr. Barrett did it to California, that was a very small and special case).

There is no rational business management team that would do that to "send a message".

Thinking that this is a practical possibility is another branch of the tin foil hattery tree.

Willie