The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 20, 2012, 08:18 PM   #1
Nathan

Always wanted a Glock

Well, I finally broke down and did it! I bought a Glock 21. I hope it works out for me.

I really never wanted a Glock. Then I decided I wanted a Glock 23. Then I held one with the intention of buying it and decided the grip felt WRONG. So then I thought I was done,. . .but no, I checked out a pretty beat Glock 21. It was so beat, I think the cop who had it thought vise grips were for sight adjustment! The FR sight was all wapperjawed. $450 for that. . .really.

Then ol' Gunbroker creapt up. I never saw it coming. Before I knew what hit me I was clicking bid now.

So now, what do I do with this thing? Maybe bowling pin shooting. . .or maybe put a red dot on it and try that gig out.

CCW?? No, this thing is frickin' huge!
Old November 20, 2012, 08:22 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Shoot it.
Maintain situational awareness
Old November 20, 2012, 08:33 PM   #3
Dashunde

I just love my 21.
I regularly toss around the idea of swapping it out for a G35, but so far I cant bring myself to make the move because the 21 is such a good shooter.
Old November 20, 2012, 10:12 PM   #4
ftballgod

i keep mine next to my bed. i have a tlr 2 streamlight on it. its my main HD gun.
Old November 21, 2012, 07:16 AM   #5
geetarman

The gun is pretty big already. I don't think I would make it any bigger by adding a red dot sight of any kind.

I think you will really like it. The 21 was the first Glock I ever bought and one of my favorites.

Accurate and soft shooting.

I have the original night sights on it that were installed around 1998 or so.

I used that gun for my CCW qualification.

You did good.

Carpe Cerveza
Old November 21, 2012, 08:55 AM   #6
Dashunde

^I think its a perfect candidate for a little Burris FastFire.
They're about the same width and fit together nicely.
Old November 21, 2012, 08:06 PM   #7
Nathan

I too am kind of liking the idea of having the slide cut for a red dot someday...
Old November 22, 2012, 08:40 AM   #8
Dashunde

That would be the nicest way of doing it, but I think they make a bottom plate that uses the original sight groove.
Old November 22, 2012, 09:04 AM   #9
Hammerhead

Yeah, you can start out with the mounting plate that uses the rear sight dovetail. The new Fastfire III looks like a nice little sight. Upgrade to machined in sight later, sell the mount.
Glock 21s are accurate and soft shooting, you're gunna love it.
Old November 22, 2012, 01:20 PM   #10
Warrior1256

I too own a Glock 21. It was my last duty weapon and I liked it so much I bought one of my own this past March. I used it to qualify for my CCW when I moved to Kentucky.

I think you have made a wise decision. Welcome to the Glock fraternity.
Old November 22, 2012, 07:03 PM   #11
Nathan

Anything I need to know about this thing? Do I just need to shoot it?

Also, does somebody replace tritium vials, if I send them the slide?
Old November 22, 2012, 07:47 PM   #12
barstoolguru

just field stip it to clean it
Old November 22, 2012, 08:48 PM   #13
Hammerhead

Trijicon used to do replacements, you might try there, otherwise I've always replaced the whole sight set. The rear either with a borrowed pusher or with a plastic tipped drift punch. The new fronts are installed with a 3/16" socket head driver.
Old November 22, 2012, 10:05 PM   #15
SPEMack618

I carry a Glock 21 for my EDC piece, I'm tall and lanky with big hand so it conceals nicely under an untooked polo shirt and fits in my hands well.

Fun gun, reliable, more accurate than I am in all honesty, and I feel that by carrying a Glock and .45 ACP I can either appeal or enrage all segments of the gun community.
Old November 23, 2012, 09:10 PM   #16
mitranoc

Quote:
CCW?? No, this thing is frickin' huge!
Very nice...You will really enjoy it. I couldn't be happier with my 21SF. I had a Ghost Trigger done, and put night sights on it. I also did the 50GI conversion. It conceals nicely under a T-shirt, but much more comfortably outside the waistband.

Old November 23, 2012, 09:15 PM   #17
amprecon

I shoot no other handgun as good.
"Cause I got nothin' better to do."
Old November 24, 2012, 01:04 AM   #18
orionengnr

Quote:
Always wanted a Glock .
I really never wanted a Glock. Then I decided I wanted a Glock 23. Then I held one with the intention of buying it and decided the grip felt WRONG. So then I thought I was done,. . .but no, I checked out a pretty beat Glock 21...
Wow...Always...never...
Bipolar maybe?
Old November 24, 2012, 07:24 AM   #19
kcub

I have a gen 1 model 21 with a laser and gold plated slide as my bedside gun.

What handgun could be better than 12 .45s?
Old November 24, 2012, 08:29 AM   #20
Amsdorf

I shoot the G21 more accurately than I do any other Glock, FWIW.

Love mine.
Old November 24, 2012, 09:59 AM   #21
Uncle Malice

My trip with the Glock 21 has been a bit... turbulent... I guess you could say.

An old gen 3 Glock 21 was the first gun I ever bought. It came in the old tupperware style box and I bought it used from a private party locally. I never had the intention of getting into guns. I wasn't around them much when I was growing up... I always had a passion for knives of all kinds.

I had an...incident...with some guy in a pickup truck road raging against me on my motorcycle and that's when I decided I needed a gun for protection.... that was it.

So I got that old Glock 21. It was a big beast and I really tried to like it, but the grip was just always so huge in my hand. I could hold it fine, but when it came to shooting it just seemed to move around a bit too much for me. I ended up trading it for a like new in box G23...which I did hang on to for a while.

I always liked the idea of the G21 though and when the SF models came out I picked up one of those. I held on to that one for a bit longer. Added night sights, did a trigger job... shot it a good bit. I still just couldn't quite get the grip I liked on it and I ended up trading it for an XDM45 when they first came out.

Then the Gen 4s came out.... I got the G23 first and I liked it a lot. I loved the new texture. It just seems to lock into my hand so much better. I ended up trading that for then gen 4 19 - but that's another story. I've move away from .40 glock entirely now. As soon as the gen 4 G21's came out, I stopped by Glockmeister to see how it felt in my hand...

Finally. The perfect grip I've always wanted in the G21. I know they say the gen4 and the SF are the same size... but something about it just feels smaller in my hands. I think it's the grip texture that locks it in. Surprisingly, it also had a very good factory trigger... and I ALWAYS do trigger jobs on my Glocks. I tried to add my usual ghost rocket and titanium firing pin block to this G21 and I didn't like the way it felt. After putting about 1k rounds through this one with the factory trigger, it's one of my best glock triggers. I think I just got lucky... but it's great.

The only upgrades I've done are night sights and the extended slide stop. I've got about 2k rounds through this thing now and it's been absolutely perfect. It has become my favorite glock with my 19 a fairly close, but clearly separate 2nd place.

Currently, I'm looking into getting the 10mm conversion barrel for when I go up hiking in northern AZ. I'm considering just getting the gen 4 G20 when it comes out... but I like the trigger on my 21 so much that I'd like to keep it the same gun and just swap barrels... we'll see how that one works out.

But yes! Glock 21 for the win!
Old November 26, 2012, 07:37 PM   #22
Nathan

Thanks for the Glock stories and yes...I have been bipolar about this purchase!

In the end, I'm happy with it, I think. Bought it mail order... Should see it next week.

Wish me luck.

Plated bullets ok? I think I'll skip lead for now.
Old November 27, 2012, 11:05 AM   #23
ragwd

I love my g21 sf, goes to the range every time i do. I am pleasantly surprised to see people that ccw it, its a big heavy bugger. I didnt like glock either till i tried the 21, not a fan boy, but just a fan. I bought the g36 also, much easier to conceal. good luck with yours
Old November 27, 2012, 11:19 AM   #24
Tactical Jackalope

I carry my Glock 21sf from time to time also. Used to a lot more before my Glock 19 came into the picture.

Shoot it. You'll love it.
Old November 29, 2012, 12:47 AM   #25
Redhawk5.5+P+

Convert it to a 10mm. i think it's the same frame as the Glock 20.