The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 25, 2014, 02:48 PM   #1
C5rider

What might this ol' Mauser be?

A friend of mine brought over an old Mauser that his father purchased. My dad used to use Mauser actions for custom builds way back in the '70s and '80s, but I don't know much about them. I figured that I'd bring a few photos to the folks who might know a little bit about them.

He'd really appreciate any information you can give us and I'll learn a thing or two from the folks here on the forum-- again.

I'll let the photos do the talking cuz, as we all know, a photo IS worth a thousand words.

Old November 25, 2014, 02:51 PM   #2
C5rider

And, a couple more...

Text on the barrel reads
"1938 German 8mm" and "C.A.I. St. ALB VT"

Old November 25, 2014, 03:28 PM   #3
mete

Turkish Mauser .Ankara is city in Turkey. Turkish Crescent Made in or model of 1948 What else do you need
Old November 25, 2014, 03:34 PM   #4
mapsjanhere

Quote:
"1938 German 8mm" and "C.A.I. St. ALB VT"
That's century arm's import mark, and, in this case, a clear violation of federal law for misidentifying the country of origin
Old November 25, 2014, 07:33 PM   #5
Huffmanite

Turkey began buying mauser rifles from Germany in 1890s. First was the 1891 Mauser in 7.65x53. Turks had a clause in their contract with mauser, if they had improvements in their design, Turkey would receive the newer version. So, the 1893 design replaced the 91, the 98 design replaced the 93.

Later, Turkey would re-arsenal many of their German made rifles at their Ankara location. So, I suppose you have what is generally known as a TURK, but the rifle most likely was German made by the original Mauser plant in Oberndorf, Germany.

That's why the CAI import stamp on the barrel has Germany on it. It was where the rifle originated.
Old November 27, 2014, 01:47 PM   #6
Gator Weiss

mauser Gew. 98 old pattern "Turked"

These are worth keeping. Yours is very nicely marked. I would keep this one.