The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 12, 2010, 07:23 PM   #26
highvel

Against Somali's, I think you should put you head between your knees and kiss your butt goodbye if you try to defend yourself with a pistol, any pistol!

Unless, your Chuck Norris, then you wont need any gun!

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old September 12, 2010, 07:25 PM   #27
kraigwy

My grandkids figured out how to arm their boat for pirates that may be wondering the small lakes in NE Wyoming

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 12, 2010, 07:37 PM   #28
armoredman

Ever shot from a moving deck? I have - ain't as easy as you might think. Now switch to a high speed small boat, really not easy. Yes, there was at least one encounter with Somali pirates that was stopped by professionals armed with handguns, sorry, disremember, may have been an Israeli security unit.
All of the Somali gear I have seen is in terrible shape, and the reports show that they truly are not match grade marksmen. Shooting rounds into the air or randonly in the streets doesn't make for someone who can take a precision shot off a pitching and bucking Zodiac, or other small boat trying to catch a lumbering whale of a freighter. heck, if they were in a Zodiac it would be easy - pop some shot into that inflatable and watch them get wet.
This doesn't mean they can't get lucky, find spots on the gunwale that might stop a bullet, use cover and concealment as best you can.

One thing that makes me curious, "unwritten policy"? This means if you use your sidearm, and it doesn't go 100% the companies' way, you will be hung out to dry, financially and legally. Get some legal back up in writing first.
Old September 12, 2010, 07:45 PM   #29
aroundchicago

Here is the gun you need aboard the merchant ship. Pirates would hate it.

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/futu...naval-gun.html
Old September 12, 2010, 08:43 PM   #30
Glenn Dee

I believe that there are pirates also in the caribian.... seriously. Many of the super yachts out of Ft Lauderdale have a compliment of weapons, and crew members who are qualified to use them.
Old September 12, 2010, 08:45 PM   #31
Rampant_Colt

argh, matey! Thar she blows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvel
Against Somali's, I think you should put you head between your knees and kiss your butt goodbye if you try to defend yourself with a pistol, any pistol!

Unless, you're Chuck Norris, then you wont need any gun!
Save the last round in the mag for yourself

Taking on a group of heavily armed, determined, experienced assailants boarding your vessel would pose a serious health threat unless you're highly trained in maritime ship-board defense or close quarters H2H combat like Chuck Norris or Steven Seagal LoL.

Not to state the obvious, but the best option would be to not let them get on board in the first place..
Old September 12, 2010, 09:16 PM   #32
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Oy!

Maybe that should be an Oy Vey.

So many reasons to close this one.

Naw, I won't even go there.

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread