The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 16, 2001, 08:24 PM   #1
crow slayer

Went to the gun show today...

Went to the gun show today looking for a slug barrel for my bps as my Ithaca m37 has given up the ghost, or so we think. Had no luck finding a slug barrel, but did bring home a Ithaca m87 (read glorified m37) with a 3 inch chamber and 28in vent rib barrel with choke tudes for $189. Only draw back is the previous owner was obviously a duck hunter (magazine plugged) who didn't clean very often. The parkerized (spelling?) finish has light surface rust, as when you run a white rag over it, the rag will be colored reddish brown.
Got her home, ran a couple handfulls of shells though her to make sure she functioned right and broke her down for a good cleaning. This gun is just like Dave's 870 turnins, it hasn't been babied on the outside, but hasn't been shot hardly at all. The blueing isn't even worn off the slide bar and the inside of reciever. After a good 2 hour cleaning the house has that pleasant Hoppes #9 smell and I think I found myself a bargain
CS
Old December 16, 2001, 08:35 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Congrats! An excellent purchase even if the mere idea of uncorking a 3" mag in that puppy aggravates my bursitis. Great upland gun.

A VERY light usage of 4/0 steel wool may do wonders on that finish, soak everything with oil first and reapply copiously..
Old December 16, 2001, 08:45 PM   #3
C.R.Sam

Nice catch.

A cloth soaked with Break Free may do the job on the rust and be even gentler on the finish. The stuff does dissolve very light rust. Leave the gun wet with it overnight.

May it learn to like you and stay.

Sam
Old December 16, 2001, 09:41 PM   #4
crow slayer

kick what kick?

Actually dave, with the 28 inch vent rib it has plenty of heff. Add the fact it wears the factory recoil pad and a slip on pad (I'm 6' 4" and have some pretty long arms) and it kicks like a kitten. Even with slugs (shot though my old m37 and my dad's m37) through 18.5 " barrels don't kick too bad with double recoil pads!
I also saw a nice m37 riot gun that just begged me to take it home, but I couldn't justify the $350 price tag.
CS
Old December 16, 2001, 09:53 PM   #5
C.R.Sam

Quote:
kick what kick?
Darn long armed giants....mumble mumble mumble.

Sam...used to be a shrimp till I shrunk.
Old December 17, 2001, 05:20 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Two pads will turn the kick mule into a pony, assuming fit and form are OK. Sounds like you're fairly recoil tolerant, too.

$350 is on the high side for a used 37 unless it's near mint. Many of the used "Police" 37s I've seen have not been mint, and some have utility grade lumber on them. IMO, not a bargain at $350.

But a decent 37/87 for $189 is a good deal. Enjoy...