The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 15, 2012, 01:50 PM   #1
5R milspec

looking for the most out of a P238

OK I've owned a P238 now for about 6 months.been loading for it from day one.with my first loads I used a 90gn XTP with 3.5gn's of HP38 loaded at .955.got the data from my new Hornady book.my problem is reaching fps with this pistol.yes,I know its going to be hard because of its short barrel.will say a water test with this load just failed to work.the bullet went through 4 milk jugs full of water.( with out damage at all )

now I have moved on to an 88gn remington HP.my new load with this bullet is 3.7gn's of HP38 loaded at .965.now I can say I am onto something with this load.shot it the other day through 2 1/2 jugs filled with water finding it in the third jug.the buule opened up but the core pulled away from the jacket.I know its not a bonded bullet but it worked OK.

my question to ya'll is this.is there a different powder/bullet combo out their I can try.or do ya'll who own a P238 have a load for me to try.on QL I played a little and found this.VV N330 will give me out of a 2.7 inch barrel 995 fps and thats with the same 88gn bullet/case over all length.so if there is anyone with a P238 out their loading a good all around HP and getting a High fps out of it,plesase share the load.I want the most I can get out of mine.better yet the wifes P238.we/she love the little pistol.soon I will be getting me one too.

PS I would just take hers but its a Lady P238.
Old July 16, 2012, 10:00 PM   #2
crowbeaner

Try a 95 grain HP over 5.1 of AA#5 and a WW primer. Warm but safe; you'll think the peewee is a 9mm. OAL from .940" to.955".
Old July 16, 2012, 10:23 PM   #3
dreamweaver

can't help with load details, but my favorite for the sig is the buffalo bore JHP+P.
they used to list powder loads on the website, don't know if that's still true.

tom
Old July 17, 2012, 01:03 PM   #4
5R milspec

hey thanks,for both replies.for me its not about just being able to go buy ammo or just reload for it.I love being able to get the most out of my pistols.

hey the little 88gn load want tend to feel like a 9mm but its pretty fast for a 380.( hand load )

amy more P238 owners with great fast HP loads
Old July 18, 2012, 01:35 AM   #5
warningshot

I loaded some MontGold 121 grain with W231 in a .380 ACP, very gentle & accurate. Sounds crazy. I was looking for a cost savings. I know both are .355, but 9mm bullets are less expensive that .380s; usually; economy of scale stuff.