The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 26, 2000, 03:08 AM   #1
Lonnie Jaycox

I just bought a used 1201FP Beretta shotgun, (12 ga. 3", autoloader, long mag, black composite stocks, slug barrel). Does anyone here have any experience with this one. It is a police model and seems to have some funny ways; however, this could be me--I am used to an over/under. This one has been shot fewer than ten times, but I did not get a manual; are these available from Beretta-I could not find the model listed at their website.
Any help or feedback would be appreciated.
Lonnie
Old June 26, 2000, 08:00 AM   #2
Steven Mace

Lonnie, you can visit Beretta's international website at http://www.beretta.com/fucili/field/Es100.htm to see a brief description of the Model 1201 FP shotgun. Also, try visiting http://www.beretta.com/contatti.htm where you should find the email address for the USA distributor to request an owners manual. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

------------------
After today, its all historical
Old June 26, 2000, 08:03 AM   #3
STEVE M

You just bought a very, very good SG. It operates the same as the Benelli (most of the parts are made in the same factory) and undersells it by a bit. I've had mine since March and have never had a problem except it will shoot faster than I can buy ammo You should be able to get a manual from Beretta but I don't know any addresses or phone numbers.
Old June 26, 2000, 09:24 AM   #4
jthuang

My buddy has one of those, just used it at a three gun match this past Saturday. It's a great gun.

Echo the advice to write to Beretta USA as they can give you everything you need (i.e., a user manual).

If your standard speedloading procedure involves loading through the ejection port, you have nothing to worry about. If you load via the magazine tube exclusively, remember that you have to hit the shell release button (just forward of the triggerguard) before racking the bolt.

HTH,

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Old June 26, 2000, 09:26 PM   #5
patrickt66

I also have a 1201FP and love it! Shot a 200 lb. boar with it earlier this year during a blinding snowstorm and it functioned flawlessly. Recoil is very mild and follow-up shots are very fast. Does any-
body know if there is a good tac-light available for it? I would prefer a dedicated
forearm unit if one was to be had. I heard a rumor that the SEALS just bought a bunch of these, can anyone confirm this?
Old June 27, 2000, 12:07 AM   #6
patrickt66

Thanks Erick, I'll be watching for these so I can use it to hunt racoons and coyotes at night, should be a sweet setup!
Old June 27, 2000, 07:31 AM   #7
jthuang

Surefire does offer the model 606 and 606F Responder for the Beretta 1200 FP. I don't know if this means that it will not fit the 1201 FP.
http://www.maricopatactical.com/comp..._taclights.htm

FWIW, Mark Penman, on his old "Laissez Firearm" page, observed that the Surefire unit for his 1201FP was a "kludge". The hoseclamp method may be the best available so far.

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Old June 27, 2000, 11:41 PM   #8
Lonnie Jaycox

I want to thank everyone for the feedback. I have a manual ordered. I took this thing out to a range for some practice and was very impressed. I shot slugs through it and found the groups as tight as any I have ever seen (even from guns with longer barrels). I think these guns are made to be quickest and easiest to use in the "crusier ready" mode I have seen refered to here. This gun is ready with a round right under the bolt and the chamber empty with the hammer down--all one has to do is pull and release the bolt and it is ready! It also unloads through the mag feed instead of cycling all the rounds through the chamber.
I have talked to a machinist friend about making a proper light holder for it. I think we can do this and maintain the mobility of the front sling swivel. If the light rides between the mag tube and the barrel the sling swivel should have all the room it needs. If I get a working design I will post the CAD drawing--it would be easy and fairly inexpensive to replicate. In the meantime perhaps some enterprising manufacturer will get a much needed gadget for a great gun out there to market.

Thanks again,
Lonnie

PS Steve thanks for the links it was quite easy to oder the manual.

[This message has been edited by Lonnie Jaycox (edited June 28, 2000).]