The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old July 19, 2008, 11:15 PM   #26
mikenbarb

PT111, I have worked in managment and in customer service and other fields all of my working life(29yrs.). So I do know what im talking about and if a person assumes that a person on the other end is another race than his, He is being real dumb and a racist. I have heard alot of white people talk with accents in their speech here. If someone assumes that of another person, He shouldnt be living on this planet. And I am from the northern state of N.J. and we have more mixed races than any other state in the country.(along with NYC) and I find it hard to believe that some lady says its mostly from northern states because I live here and worked in NYC for a long time and never heard of such a thing. It would be hazardous to your health here to say that kind of stuff...
Anyway, Were not here to discuss that and here to post our problems with Remington. I know from my personal experience and hearing many others say that Remington has gone down hill in the last 20 years and not what they used to be. I remember when you called them and got a caring person that got problems resolved and didnt put you on hold for an hour(or hang up on you). And lately it seems like your talking to just a voice there for a paycheck. Has anyone had any problems that required service lately? I have and im not happy with them at all. I get better service from the hot dog truck at breaktime. I was at the range discussing this with a bunch of members and 2 other guys that shoot there are going thru the same type of problem with their customer service. I guess its not just us having problems, Is it?
Old July 21, 2008, 10:12 AM   #27
jmorris

Quote:
jmorris:

I believe that even if the majority of consumers (not all) stopped buying from companies when we had "defective products or bad customer service" it would stop. This problem exists because we allow it to.

JP
I might agree with that statement except it doesn’t seem to work in government operations, been to the DMV lately? That would also mean a majority of the customers would have needed to receive defective products or services. If every other firearm they manufactured was defective they would probably change the company name to Jennings.
Old July 23, 2008, 12:20 AM   #28
olddrum1

Mikenbarb, You posted in your post that you could not tell much about a person by listening to the voice over the phone.

Your Post.
I have worked in managment and in customer service and other fields all of my working life(29yrs.). So I do know what im talking about and if a person assumes that a person on the other end is another race than his, He is being real dumb and a racist. I have heard alot of white people talk with accents in their speech here. If someone assumes that of another person, He shouldnt be living on this planet.

You also said

(Im sure he didnt from my experience)

You can not tell a persons age over the phone, as you cannot tell a persons age here. If you read my post you would have deduced that I, unlike you, have had direct experience in this field. The demographics of these offices are geared to very young people. Someone that is thirty would be deemed an oldtimer.

How many of JP Sartes calls do you have experience with?

PT111, I can tell, has also heard some of the calls. His was not an unsual call at all.

If JP Sarte purchased all of these ADLs with a problem I would not call Remington but would go to the supplier and reek havoc with him. The supplier will have more pull with Remington than one buyer would. If the supplier has to pay the postage on a defective firearm he takes notice. If he has to do this several times he really takes notice. JP Sarte, If I were you I would be going back to your Firearms Dealer and demanding your money back. Let them deal with Remington.
Old July 23, 2008, 06:36 PM   #29
mniesen89

I've said it once and I'll say it again, I'd pay the extra price for an item if I new the CS was great!

Todays suppliers (Remington,MidwayUSA,etc.)are losing customers over there CS.I know personally 5 other guys that wont do business with such suppliers and would pay more money for an item knowing if there were a problem it can be easily resolved.
Old July 26, 2008, 08:12 AM   #30
dkalmbac

olddrum,

Since you have worked for customer service for over 29 years, then you absolutely know that when someone asks for your name, you give it to them. It's funny, cos even if I get "shook up" or "stressed" or what have you, I can still remember my [sic] name. And I don't buy for a second that she accidentally hung up on him. I have worked in customer service as well and the point is to SERVE the CUSTOMERS, not give them a bunch of ****. The rule of thumb is if you don't know something, you find someone who does. If this woman couldn't help him, then she should have found someone who did. And by the way, I worked customer service when I was 19-21 years old, so I was young and I didn't hang up on people, even if they were pains in my ass.

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; February 28, 2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: language
Old July 26, 2008, 08:26 PM   #31
PT111

mikenbarb - It was not one lady saying that about the calls requesting a different race but most of the staff of around 100 people. I was involved in the initial technical training of the workers and at that time we were trying to develop a course on "Language Neutralization". I will let you try and decide what that was about. You say that you have never heard such a thing in NYC then you better take your earplugs out because you are missing out on a lot of things.:barf:
Old August 3, 2008, 12:20 AM   #32
Driveout02

hey folks, remember that no gun company is what it used to be
Old August 3, 2008, 12:23 AM   #33
Wildalaska

Quote:
hey folks, remember that no gun company is what it used to be
Yep. Customer ran his like new .375 over with a truck. Bent the barrel so we sent it back to Remington for repair.

They just sent him a new gun. No charge.

WildyeptimessurehavechangedAlaska TM
Old August 3, 2008, 12:43 AM   #34
olddrum1

Again People that do not read. I did not say I worked customer service for 29 years. I transfered into it the last two years to relocate. How do you know that there was not a supervisor there when the call was going on and told the rep to disconnect.
Old August 3, 2008, 07:56 AM   #35
JP Sarte

How do you know that there was not a supervisor there when the call was going on and told the rep to disconnect.

That's even worse and tells me all I need to know about a company.

JP
Old August 3, 2008, 11:29 PM   #36
mikenbarb

OLDRUM, How and who do you know who I have worked for? I have had hundreds if not thousands of JPSARTE calls so how can you even compare or assume what I have done in my life? I have only listed the interesting fields of work I have been involved in and alot others I have not mentioned including working with Military alloys R&D and lots of other interesting ones. Would you like a list to compare what fields I have knowledge and certifications in? Its amazing that I was a site manager for 2 of the largest welding supply companies in the US(AIRGAS Inc.& Linde Air Liquide) and never had as many problems as you guys have had. And yes, I handled hundreds of calls a day MYSELF! Maybe you should change jobs to where your customers respect you. Or are you just another voice sounding like your there for a paycheck making consumers angry bacause your voice has the "I dont care" sound to it. Anyway, Remington has gone down hill severly in my eyes and I think OLDRUM1 is an inside man with them because he has had nothing to say in regards to the OP or Remington customer service or their products and just defends the general customer service in this country. Whats up with that old rum? Have a good one, Im done and said what I had to say about my experience with crappy Remington customer service.
Driveout, Alot are better than they used to be because they strive to satisfy their customers. Look at Wild West Guns, Their A+++ and you always get a great person on the other end of the phone. They were always great and just keep getting better.
OLDRUM, Oh, And the reason why a 30 yr.old in your field is an oldtimer is because as they get older they get smarter and realize the higher ups are jerks and quit to work for someone decent! And this, I do know for a fact.

Last edited by mikenbarb; August 4, 2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old August 4, 2008, 02:16 AM   #37
Driveout02

Quote:
Yep. Customer ran his like new .375 over with a truck. Bent the barrel so we sent it back to Remington for repair.

They just sent him a new gun. No charge.
Is this sarcasm? Did this actually happen?

Regardless, we all live in a global market now, with different supplies/demands, and I stand by the statement that no company remains the same.
Old August 4, 2008, 09:10 AM   #38
JP Sarte

Corporate Darwinism at it's very best. Make good products, stand behind them, and provide good customer service or face extinction.

JP
Old August 5, 2008, 01:09 AM   #39
Brenden

I have had nothing but great situations with Remington products..

I do not know where all the negative crap is coming from,but I know that I prefer Remington than any other!!!!
JPFO
Old August 5, 2008, 02:01 AM   #40
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

Like em or hate em, Remington still is the biggest and most successful gun company ever. They are still going strong and making a lot of very good guns.

I'm sure the old Remington Arms isn't the same since they were bought out though.
Old August 5, 2008, 12:18 PM   #41
JP Sarte

"I do not know where all the negative crap is coming from..."

Experience.

Scenario #1:

Just wait until you buy a Remington and you find the sights have not been aligned properly. Then try and send it back and hope your gun gets returned in six months (maybe). Then expect to pay for the shipping yourself. Oh did I mention insurance? You will be paying for that also. Then when it does come back expect to send it back again because they didn't fix the first time. Wait, it should have never left the factory in that condition in the first place.

Scenario #2

Wait until you buy a Remington and it won't feed and eject shells properly. Then call them to talk about the problem and have them blame you. Oh, then go through scenario #1 again trying to get it fixed.

Scenario #3:

Buy a Remington only to find out the firing pin only works about one in three shots. See Scenarios #1 and #2 for the fun filled remedy.

Good luck on what passes for customer service. There is not enough space here to cover that topic.

If these things have not happened to you that is great. I have dealt with the Remington nightmare too many times. Look, nobody's asking for perfection. Common sense dictates otherwise. When I pay $800.00 for a NIB rifle I want it to work. YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE TO SEND A NIB RIFLE BACK TO THE FACTORY. If you do, somebody's not doing their job. That's why companies have QC departments, that's why the proof guns before shipping, etc.

Remington is lazy, complacent, and completely disinterested in the manufacture of firearms.

"Like em or hate em, Remington still is the biggest and most successful gun company ever."

They make their living on slick advertising and misguided product loyalty. When you experience some of the problems I have you will have a vastly different opinion.

JP
Old August 5, 2008, 12:50 PM   #42
Wildalaska

Quote:
Is this sarcasm? Did this actually happen?
Nope and yep

Quote:
Just wait until you buy a Remington and you find the sights have not been aligned properly. Then try and send it back and hope your gun gets returned in six months (maybe). Then expect to pay for the shipping yourself. Oh did I mention insurance? You will be paying for that also. Then when it does come back expect to send it back again because they didn't fix the first time. Wait, it should have never left the factory in that condition in the first place.
Remington pays for shipping

Quote:
Wait until you buy a Remington and it won't feed and eject shells properly. Then call them to talk about the problem and have them blame you. Oh, then go through scenario #1 again trying to get it fixed.
I've never seen that. Never. We fix 'em. They fix 'em

Quote:
When I pay $800.00 for a NIB rifle I want it to work. YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE TO SEND A NIB RIFLE BACK TO THE FACTORY. If you do, somebody's not doing their job. That's why companies have QC departments, that's why the proof guns before shipping, etc.
BS....no matter what, every company is going to put out a problem gun once and a while......

Now I'm going to wiegh in here heavy...we are a Remington Service Center.....for the volume of guns they sell, some of which are extremely reasonably priced, their volume of QC problems is low......their service people are responsive, their service is fast, they will warranty virtually anything and they work hard for customer satisfaction.

WildmylastowordAlaska ™
Old August 5, 2008, 05:48 PM   #43
JP Sarte

Wild:

Just going on what I was told by them.

"Remington pays for shipping".

They told me I would have to. I argued the point and they finally gave in. But not without an argument. Then the insurance part of the program. They told me it would be insured by them through UPS. I asked how much? They said for up to $150.00. But I was not to worry if my gun ended up in Peru that were verbally assuring me that a replacement would be on the way. Nonsense. I said that doesn't even come close to covering the cost of the gun. They said if I want additional coverage I would have to purchase it through UPS.

"I've never seen that. Never. We fix 'em. They fix 'em".

I didn't purchase any of the 700's at a "Remington approved service center" The nearest one to me is two hours away. The only other option, not to void the warranty (which is a stupid practice anyway) was to send it back to them. Any other "unapproved work" would void the warranty and any future repairs that may have to be done. I am happy you are a full service shop but not all shops are.

"BS....no matter what, every company is going to put out a problem gun once and a while......"

Not BS at all. Fact. We are not talking about things that are difficult to notice for example, like a barrel that has a 1 degree bend in it causing it to be terribly inaccurate we are talking about the basics, the very basics:

Feeding and ejecting shells? It doesn't take a fifty thousand dollar machine to determine that. Hell, cycle a couple of shells through it. Ten seconds of your time and you are done. My six year old kid could figure that out.

Iron sights grossly out of line? One look by a person with 20/20 vision can tell that. Take time out of your busy day talking about who might be in the Super Bowl running this year and do your job.

On and on and on....

Maybe you get treated differently because your a dealer, who knows. All I am doing is simply relating what has happened to me. If they treat you like the King of England when you call great. Not my experience. God knows what you get after remaining on hold for ten minutes. I am certainly not alone.

One last word from me as well. If you are at work and you are not doing your job what the hell are you doing? Flirting with the office secretary? Taking two hour smoke breaks? Day dreaming? Who knows. I disagree completely with you on this and once again make the statement: YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE TO SEND A NIB RIFLE BACK TO THE FACTORY. Period. This isn't rocket science, its rifle making. From a company that claims such a lengthly and storied history it just shouldn't be that hard.

Finally if you are so willing to accept these kinds of problems let me come work for you. I would love to stand around all day getting paid to do nothing. Wonder how long that arrangement would last if you were the one writing the paychecks and I was the one wasting your time. No long I suspect.

JP
Old August 5, 2008, 06:02 PM   #44
Wildalaska

Quote:
But I was not to worry if my gun ended up in Peru that were verbally assuring me that a replacement would be on the way. Nonsense. I said that doesn't even come close to covering the cost of the gun. They said if I want additional coverage I would have to purchase it through UPS.
Remington will replace a lost or stolen gun faster than you can get a payout from USPS or UPS insurance. They have done it for us. Sounds like you and the Customer Service folks and you it it off wrong. Takes two to Tango

Quote:
The nearest one to me is two hours away.
Well guess what, we are the only service center in Alaska and for some folks, we are two weeks away by dog sled You could have taken it there, or mailed it there.

Quote:
Maybe you get treated differently because your a dealer, who knows.
No, I am relating the experience we have as the only Remington service center in a -place where Remmies are extremely popular. I havent seen the type of problems you mention on a regular basis...and function test at the factory does not always mean that by the time it gets to the consumer, everything will necessarily be copasetic.

Quote:
I disagree completely with you on this and once again make the statement: YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE TO SEND A NIB RIFLE BACK TO THE FACTORY
Thats is simply a bogus argument.

Seems like some folks are impossible to please.

So anyway, Buy a Sako or a Tikka and see what happens when something goes wrong

WildimareasonableguyAlaska ™
Old August 8, 2008, 02:23 PM   #45
JP Sarte

"Seems like some folks are impossible to please"

JPnothingcouldbefartherfromthetruthSarte

Last edited by JP Sarte; August 8, 2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old August 22, 2008, 11:28 PM   #46
clinton

clinton said's

Hai, I am working in the private office like that it is Online data Entry. In that we do give so information to the given topic. Then especially it is working in U.K. country.

thankingyou

================================================

clinton

http://www.drugaddiction.net/indiana
Old August 23, 2008, 08:53 AM   #47
Mal H
Staff

I don't see much need for further discussion since this thread has been quiet for awhile. Let's close it before any further member-on-member hard feelings develop.
Closed Thread