The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 14, 2013, 12:30 PM   #26
ThatBeardedGuy

As far as footwork goes, it's really as simple as creating space to use your weapon safely in, and not tripping over your own feet.

Even with military training, I will not survive a close-in fistfight, and using knives is a crapshoot. Create space, draw, fire. A million what-ifs cloud your ability to respond to a situation while you struggle to remember what your appropriate response to the situation you're in is supposed to be.

"We're gonna turn left!!" - NASCAR, in a nutshell.
Old June 16, 2013, 12:44 PM   #27
WildBill45

Quote:
A million what-ifs cloud your ability to respond to a situation while you struggle to remember what your appropriate response to the situation you're in is supposed to be.
You are right about that. This is why experience trumps training every time. The training is the first step, but it takes a natural response to work, and it doesn't become natural until you do it thousands of times ... period. Practice, train and have fun doing it ... one expensive class for a week or two doesn't cut it.

It is like falling ... if you are trained in Martial arts with years of experience you BREAK THE FALL ... if you have to think about it ... THE FALL BREAKS YOU!!!

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old June 16, 2013, 03:08 PM   #28
Glenn Dee

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No truer words were ever spoken Wild Bill. I just posted on another forum the same sentement. You dont get to choose the circumstances... they choose you.
Old June 16, 2013, 07:39 PM   #29
Deaf Smith

Why is martial arts important?

I just got back from Alaska where on board a ship I COULD NOT EVEN HAVE A KNIFE.

Hence being able to use ones hands and feet does have some importance.

Others live in such as NYC or DC where it's about like being on that ship.

A gun is a tool (a good one for SD but still just a tool) and one must adjust to the fact you might not have that tool or not be able to access it, thus hand and feet.

Had a bypass? Mobility problems? Ok, then find methods to militate that. Use a cane for SD, or use a yarwa stick. In any case there is no guarantee you will have your gun so keep that in mind and devise a plan 'B'.

Deaf