The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 7, 2009, 11:42 AM   #1
DiscoRacing

buck 119 ion fusion knife.... HELP me out..

Im rather new to this forum and not sure where to post such a question... my apologies to anyone annoyed/angered by this post.... i collect buck hunting knives... mostly fixed blades... i recently had someone try to sell me a buck knife that says 119 on it and the blade is partially serrated... i have never even heard of this model of a buck knife... if anyone has any info on this line any help with authenticity of the product line would be greatly appreciated..... my appologies for the fact that this post isnt quite as firearm related as it maybe should be.
Old January 7, 2009, 12:09 PM   #2
Scorch

Call Buck Knives Customer Service.
Old January 7, 2009, 12:16 PM   #3
Daryl

No offense taken here. Knives are usually a pretty big part of hunting, so it's likely in the best area to get the proper attention.

That said, I have a Buck 119, but it's several years old. Maybe 15 or 20? But I've never seen one with a serrated/partially serrated edge. If it's authentic, it's probably a newer one.

In this time when many are duplicating things, it's not too far fetched to wonder about it. I haven't bought a buck knife in years though, so who knows?

ETA-A quick search on the 'net showed a few Buck 119's with a partially serrated blade. One has an ION fusion coating, and another may have a cocobolo handle? Apparently they do exist.

FWIW

Daryl
Old January 7, 2009, 12:47 PM   #4
kirpi97

The only thing we gun folks likes more is knives. So the forum may be better served elsewhere, you have reached the folks you need too.

I have collected Bucks folders for years. And yes, the traditional blade for a Buck 119 is a straight edge clip. These are some of the better hunting knives for the price. Some of us will swear by the Case Kodiak for edge retention, but there is about a factor of three in the cost area alone.

But it appears back in the early 2000s, Buck did come out with a partially serrated blade. To the purest, it is not a knife that sold well. And I am not sure if it was USA made like their other knives. These knives are worth, in my humble opinion, maybe half what a standard 119 will cost you. But it is the buyer that will determine that. Here is the phone number to Buck Knives should you feel inclined to call: 1-800 326-2825.

It might be worth spending $25 or so to see it it is any good. And for a collection, it may be worth it. But for hunting, not a chance.

Last edited by kirpi97; January 7, 2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old January 7, 2009, 02:51 PM   #5
Daryl

Quote:
And yes, the traditional blade for a Buck 119 is a straight edge clip. These are some of the better hunting knives for the price. Some of us will swear by the Case Kodiak for edge retention, but there is about a factor of three in the cost area alone.
I use a couple of the older Marble's knives, and they're the best I've found for the job. I like my Buck 119, and use it, but it doesn't hold it's edge nearly as well as the Marble's when I go to skinning a larger critter like elk or buffalo.

I had one Marble's knife that my wife and I used on a buffalo once, sorta sharing/sharpening several knives as we went. When we finished, my wife requested her own Marble's knife before the next critter.

I finally found one with the older, carbon steel blade, and bought it for her.

I did pay about double the price of a Buck 119 for it, but it was worth it.

Daryl
Old January 7, 2009, 04:23 PM   #6
shortwave

Please excuse the drift on the O.P. but I`ve also got a question on Buck knives. Do you guys feel the steel in them are not as good as the old ones. I quit buying Bucks cause in the last 10 or so years,seems they don`t hold an edge.
Old January 7, 2009, 04:27 PM   #7
Pahoo

The 119 is a current model and has been around for some time. Historically it has been one of their more popular models. I am not a serious collector but do have one in a straight blade. As a collector,, I would think that you would want one if the price is right and even though it's less desireable than the straight ones. I have a friend that is a serious collector and he buys them all. Can provide his phone number if you wish. Some folks like the serrations and others don't. Seems like too many manufacturers are going to these and I feel they serve a purpose. I do prefer the straight ones.

You will find that most gun guys are knife guys.

Be Safe !!!
Old January 7, 2009, 05:18 PM   #8
L_Killkenny

3 outta the 5 guys I deer hunt with use the 119. I too, have never seen one with serrations. On the other hand, I use a MINI Kabar with a partially serrated 5" blade and everyone loves the serrations for splitting the sternum of the deer. The serrations and the flat pommel are the only plus's.

I also think that all of the 119's are also still US production even though other lines have switched.

If I was a collector I'd go ahead and get the serrated version.

CB
Old January 8, 2009, 02:26 PM   #9
Scorch

Quote:
I quit buying Bucks cause in the last 10 or so years,seems they don`t hold an edge.
Buck knives do not take or hold an edge well. The old "knife cuts a bolt" thing was from 50+ years ago, and Buck quit making blades that would do that as far back as the 1960s. But they are built very strong, which can make up for lack of good steel.
Old January 8, 2009, 07:34 PM   #10
shortwave

Thanks Scorch. Used to think it was my sharpening technique But I`ve got a few older Bucks(and other knives) I can put an edge on and it (edge) will stay. Seems to me the ones since about the early 80`s just won`t hold an edge. Good friend of mine builds knives and he states theres not much steel in Bucks blades. Yes, IMO buck knives are built well but on my work knives they have to hold an edge or they`re thrown into knife collection and I usually don`t purchase that brand again. Been cut by a dull knife more than a sharp one.
Old January 9, 2009, 01:32 AM   #11
kirpi97

When it comes to carving up the carcass, all those fancy knives find themselves in their respect sheath. I pull out my old carbon knives. They are ugly as hell, but they hold up. I have a few made from old tool steel. The older carbon knives and the tool steel knives hold their edge year after year.

So I would have to agree with the use of the older knives from the 50s. Prior to the use of stainless steel. The stainless looks perdy on the shelf, but give me a good carbon steel knife any day.

I misspoke when I said we. I was referring to my hunting buddies. I personally do not own a Case Kodiak. I use an old damascus steel knife made by Bear years ago to field dress. But after that it is my hand made knives that I use. And they is ugly.