The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 24, 2012, 12:33 PM   #1
nmbrinkman

Powder Suggestions

I want load up some rounds but wasn't sure of what powder to start with.

I'm going to use 185 gr Barnes Tac-XP in my Glock 21 (.45 ACP ; 4.6" barrel). They're going to be loaded in +p brass. Barnes website tested silhouette and longshot. Wondering if there is a consensus on powder in general for the .45 and if the longer barrel on a full size pistol makes a difference in powder selection.

Last edited by nmbrinkman; October 24, 2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old October 24, 2012, 03:42 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Quick Powders like Bullseye, 231 are usually used with 185 grain bullets in the .45 Auto. Anywhere from 4.2 to 5.8 grains of Bullseye will run with it in normal pressures, IME. 4.4 to 6.1 grains of Hodgdon Universal will burn cleaner.

If you are trying for a maximum load for some purpose, Power Pistol would be where I would go.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 24, 2012, 03:57 PM   #3
Hammerhead

disregard
Old October 24, 2012, 04:47 PM   #4
nmbrinkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick
If you are trying for a maximum load for some purpose, Power Pistol would be where I would go.
Thanks for the help.
Old October 24, 2012, 06:01 PM   #5
mmb713

Barnes' bullets should not be loaded with any other data but what has been developed specifically for them. Use a powder that they have developed data with and follow their recipes. Also, 45 +P brass generally has smaller internal capacities than standard brass and this will make a difference. If Barnes isn't using +P brass I wouldn't either. If you do use it definitely don't load to their max charges. I've used quite a few powders in 45 auto and like N320 and Universal because they are clean and accurate. Bullseye is the old standby in this caliber but it is too dirty for my tastes, but it sure is accurate. I've never seen anything to be gained by using powders slower than Unique or Universal in 45 auto and the faster powders will do everything that needs doing in this cartridge and will do it with less powder. W231/HP38 is a good choice too, if Barnes has data with it.
Old October 24, 2012, 06:23 PM   #6
TMD

+P brass is nothing more then a headstamp to identify it when loaded from the factory. Case capacity is no different then standard brass. As for loading 185gr bullets I've had good luck with 5.8grains of Power Pistol.
Old October 24, 2012, 06:46 PM   #7
nmbrinkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb713
Also, 45 +P brass generally has smaller internal capacities than standard brass and this will make a difference. If Barnes isn't using +P brass I wouldn't either.

These are +P and use Barnes Tac-XP. It would cost me $2 per round to purchase factory loaded. It would be ~$1.12 to load myself or $0.85 if I reuse my +P brass on hand.
Old October 24, 2012, 06:57 PM   #8
zxcvbob

I really don't think the "+P" on the brass makes a difference. Regular brass should handle the pressure just fine.

I would seriously look at Herco and then Unique.
Old October 25, 2012, 09:10 AM   #9
Shootest

1075fps from a 45 ACP is indeed a hot load, Power Pistol would be my first and only choice. I would also use +P brass especially if shooting from a firearm with a partially unsupported chamber such as a Glock. 45 +P brass is thicker at the head and web, thus reducing internal capacity, it will make a difference with those hot loads. Start low and work up.