The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 2013, 10:12 PM   #1
flintlock.50

High volume reloading - lubing inside case necks?

So I watched several videos of a guy demonstrating high volume loading of .223 rounds on a Dillon press. It was impressive. I saw him use Imperial case wax to lube the outside, which he did in bulk. What about the inside case necks? I know I have to do that for my .30-06 cases, but I don't recall any mention of that in any of the videos. I've been reloading for mr .30-06 for decades. Now I'd like to start loading for my .223, but that will be much higher volume.

Thanks

A government that takes from Peter to pay Paul can always count on Paul's vote!
Old January 7, 2013, 12:19 AM   #2
mrawesome22

Polish your expander ball and eliminate inside neck lube.
Old January 7, 2013, 12:20 AM   #3
Jimro

I use a spray lube, which gets enough on the inside of the necks to keep things running. If I feel things starting to bind a little at all, I'll lube the neck of the next case in with extra lube to keep the expander ball well lubed.

So far that has worked well for me.

Jimro
Old January 7, 2013, 12:34 AM   #4
Ifishsum

I rarely do much more than an occasional swipe of my finger across the neck after lubing the exterior of a case - the only cartridge I really need to properly lube the inside of is .204 Ruger. I typically polish the expanders when I get new dies, but I guess that one is so small and tight that it still isn't enough. It's the only one that gives me trouble though.
Old January 7, 2013, 05:35 AM   #5
hounddawg

If you are referring to putting the Imperial on your hands and then using transfer the lube to the cases video then I can vouch that enough lube will get on the end of the case to lubricate it. I adopted that method a few months back and it works great
Old January 7, 2013, 08:26 AM   #6
Bart B.

I don't think it's a good idea to push burned lubricant residue down one's barrel. All that does is add more fouling to the bore and that does not go good things. The more fouling there is in the bore, the more it's gotta be cleaned if best performance is an objective.

Nothing touches the inside of my bottleneck case necks when they're sized. I use gelded full length sizing dies; no balls. Before using gelded dies, the standard ones' balls never squeaked going back out of the case 'cause their mouths had the powder residue cleaned out with a spinning bore brush before decapping and cleaning.

Therefore, I've suggested folks clean their fired case mouths out with a bore brush held in an electric drill running at some lower speed. With the brush in a drill press, it's easy to quickly go through a batch of cases passing the case mouths up and down over the spinning brush. This cleans up the case mouth making bullet seating a bit easier and tends to uniform neck tension so muzzle velocity's a bit more consistant. Die balls tend to bend case necks 'cause of the friction against the case mouth. Reducing that friction by removing powder residue ends up with straighter case mouths.

Set your own objectives for the end results of your reloaded ammo. Then do stuff that enables you to meet those objectives. There is no free lunch in reloading ammo, but the stuff that 'tastes' better costs a bit more so decide what the good stuff's worth then do it.
Old January 7, 2013, 08:38 AM   #7
jmorris

I use the spray lube and carbide dies, post load tumble to knock the lube off.

Loaded many thousands that have won a lot of matches this way.
Old January 7, 2013, 09:23 AM   #8
flintlock.50

I've used a carbide sizing die for my .38 spl, but didn't know carbide dies were available for the expander ball for rifle cases. I can see how that would make life easier.

A government that takes from Peter to pay Paul can always count on Paul's vote!
Old January 7, 2013, 09:45 AM   #9
jaguarxk120

Carbon in the case necks is like running any expander ball over sandpaper. Even a carbide ball will take more effort to resize.

Do what Bart B. suggests in his post. If your loading cartridges just to blast up the side of a hill --- who cares what kind of ammo kobbled up your using.

Now shooting for group size, long distance shooting thats a different story, you want to make the finest cartridges you can and the work involved does not matter.
Old January 8, 2013, 09:58 AM   #10
jmorris

Quote:
I've used a carbide sizing die for my .38 spl, but didn't know carbide dies were available for the expander ball for rifle cases. I can see how that would make life easier.
Dillon makes them for .223 and .308.

I tumble with stainless, wet. All of the cases are as clean inside as outside, primer pockets too.

It would be a waist of time, not to mention take longer than the entire load process, to bore brush inside of every case. Certainly not "high volume".

For uniform neck tension, in high volume, I anneal every case. It's another process but all you have to do is turn it on and keep the case feeder topped off.

Last edited by jmorris; January 8, 2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old January 8, 2013, 02:55 PM   #11
Bart B.

jmorris comments that it would be a waist of time, not to mention take longer than the entire load process, to bore brush inside of every case. Certainly not "high volume".

Well, with a bore brush spinning in a drill press, I can brush out fired case necks every 2 to 3 seconds. They go right into the tumbler to clean them comming off the brush.
Old January 8, 2013, 03:05 PM   #12
Wyoredman

Bart B., Pardon my ignorance, but what is a gelded die. Thanks
Old January 8, 2013, 03:53 PM   #13
jwrowland77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoredman View Post
Bart B., Pardon my ignorance, but what is a gelded die. Thanks
Kind of like a gelded horse.
Old January 8, 2013, 05:36 PM   #14
Bart B.

jwrowland77, a gelded dies are exactly like a gelded horse. No (expander) balls.

Wyoredman, that name for them was going around back in the 1960's when folks lapped out their full length sizing die necks so the expander balls were no longer needed. Such dies were the predecessors to the modern bull bushing dies made today.
Old January 8, 2013, 05:59 PM   #15
Wyoredman

Thanks! HaHa

Is the Redding type S die and example?

Last edited by Wyoredman; January 8, 2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old January 8, 2013, 06:02 PM   #16
jwrowland77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B. View Post
jwrowland77, a gelded dies are exactly like a gelded horse. No (expander) balls.

Wyoredman, that name for them was going around back in the 1960's when folks lapped out their full length sizing die necks so the expander balls were no longer needed. Such dies were the predecessors to the modern bull bushing dies made today.
Yeah I knew exactly what you were talking about. I used to work my grandpas ranch out in west Texas. I was try to explain it for wy. Lol
Old January 8, 2013, 06:08 PM   #17
Wyoredman

Learn somthin' new every day! I never made the connection 'till it was spelled out for me! One of those days! Thanks for the laugh at my own expense.
Old January 8, 2013, 07:54 PM   #18
Bart B.

Wyoredman, thanks for being good hearted about it.

And yes, Redding type S dies are that way, check out their web site pages on it:

http://www.redding-reloading.com/ind...s-bushing-dies

RCBS also make the same type of dies and I think both make's bushings are interchangeable.
Old January 8, 2013, 08:29 PM   #19
jmorris

Quote:
Well, with a bore brush spinning in a drill press, I can brush out fired case necks every 2 to 3 seconds.
Could you keep up with this load rate.