The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 24, 2012, 12:44 AM   #1
arsenalzastava

xd over glock everyday

Now yes I know Glock is carried by almost every police department. That is because they are plastic which keeps the cost down , and highly reliable for a few years. Remember a cop gets a new gun every few years. As a citizen why not buy a metal legend like a cz or sig or a springfield. Yes springfield has a plastic frame, but it has a metal guide rod and metal sites unlike glock.
Old December 24, 2012, 12:52 AM   #2
chris in va

Been discussed ad nauseum, no sense in starting another thread about it.

People like XD's, people like Glocks. The end.
Old December 24, 2012, 12:53 AM   #3
shootniron

I prefer the XD too, although, there is not a thing wrong with a Glock...except I cannot shoot them. I have one that is a permanent resident of the safe for that very reason. I get it out occasionally, take to the range and am reminded why it is in the safe.

Last edited by shootniron; December 24, 2012 at 01:40 AM.
Old December 24, 2012, 01:32 AM   #4
TheGoldenState

Smith&Wesson M&P > GLOCK > Springfield XD

Quote:
Been discussed ad nauseum, no sense in starting another thread about it.
Don't go through the search history of the forums…..you might lose it
Old December 24, 2012, 01:46 AM   #5
chris in va

I've seen enough on this board the past ten years. More than enough.

On a side note I am looking at the M&P 45. Had a G21sf but couldn't deal with the grip angle and overly wide slide.
Old December 24, 2012, 01:59 AM   #6
Perturbed Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalzastava
Remember a cop gets a new gun every few years. As a citizen why not buy a metal legend like a cz or sig or a springfield. Yes springfield has a plastic frame, but it has a metal guide rod and metal sites unlike glock.
We kept our Glocks for quite a good while. Some of the older guys still had Gen 2s. On my 22, I had right around 20k rounds on that plastic op rod. :P As for the plastic sights; well Glock could throw metal one on there, but then the price would go up. Last time I checked XDs were at least an extra $50 over a Glock. I would think they realize most people have their own preference on sights, and decided to put plastic sights on there to keep cost down for the shooter. I know personally none of my Glocks ever kept their oem sights for more than a fortnight.

Regardless people should shoot what they're most proficient with, and are comfortable trusting their life to.
Old December 24, 2012, 02:01 AM   #7
Xfire68

Horse that has been beaten to death then re-beaten again.

I like them both. Stock trigger on the XDM's are great but I can shoot my glock just as well if not a little better.

Police departments did not buy them just because they were "cheap". They had to be tough, reliable and accurate.

You can pick just about any of the big manufactures "Poly" guns and find things you like and don't like but, they are all pretty good guns.

A metal guide rod or metal sights don't make the gun better in any real world way. Poly guide rods work fine and last for years.

S&W M&P, Springfield XDM, Glock, FN FNX, CZ P06 P07, Ruger SR9 SR40, HK USP, Walther P99 and the list goes on. All the above guns are good guns. Pick which one that fits your hand and needs and go to the range and enjoy.
Old December 24, 2012, 02:24 AM   #8
arsenalzastava

all is fair i guess except

metal is better than plastic, that is why buildings are made of metal not plastic.
Old December 24, 2012, 02:54 AM   #9
Perturbed Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalzastava
metal is better than plastic, that is why buildings are made of metal not plastic
So why do you like the Springfield XD then? Also that's probably the worst argument as to why metal is better than plastic, that I have ever heard.
Old December 24, 2012, 06:26 AM   #10
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalzastava View Post
metal is better than plastic, that is why buildings are made of metal not plastic.
That might be the most hilariously simplistic analysis of both gunsmithing and architecture ever. I don't even know where to start. That's signature material. Sorta like if we are arguing over whether rubber or wood grips are more comfortable and you said "Rubber is better than wood, that's why they make tires out of rubber not wood." It's a complete non sequitur.

I don't care for XDs or XDMs. Not bad guns, and Springfield is a legit company even if they're just the importer. They're just very uncomfortable in my hands and I don't like the looks. Also I have no idea why the bore axis needs to be so high. I can see an argument for them being as good as Glocks, but not better. XDs might ride on steel but Glocks generally don't have striker retaining pin breakages when dry fired.

Last edited by LockedBreech; December 24, 2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old December 24, 2012, 07:31 AM   #11
Perturbed Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedBreech
Sorta like if we are arguing over whether rubber or wood grips are more comfortable and you said "Rubber is better than wood, that's why they make tires out of rubber not wood." It's a complete non sequitur.
Thank you for a signature. Haha
Old December 24, 2012, 07:59 AM   #12
jmr40

Quote:
As a citizen why not buy a metal legend like a cz or sig or a springfield.
Buy what you like. But the plastic parts have proven to last far longer than the aluminum guns like Sig, and at least as long as the steel guns.
Old December 24, 2012, 08:56 AM   #13
Nathan

Well, back to the OP. . . .

First, I can agree with your drive by assessment. XD's do have quality metal parts where the are important. They have lots of sear area. They seem to have high quality metal parts internally. Mine is fabulous. They also have a freakin' roll pin in the action! WTH is that there for. . . .It is like they have a fill in designer that day! All things said, an XD is a super design with a nice striker type trigger pull.

On the other hand, a Glock is a collection of plastic and hardened stamped parts which get's it's trigger pull from like 12 opposed springs! Not a traditional trigger setup at all. Still, it works and it's reliability record is solid. Some people have figured out how to make the trigger usable.

To me, the S&W M&P is still unusable, but I don't have enough trigger time.
Old December 24, 2012, 09:13 AM   #14
BGutzman

Actually to me XD and Glock aren't unlike each other except across the board XD seems to have a much better trigger, non embarrassing look and more than anything else they innovate all the time... Glock is glacial at best in innovation... Face it each and every Glock looks exactly like every other model with the exception of caliber and size.

Both work and one or the other might be your favorite, both are reliable.
Old December 24, 2012, 03:25 PM   #15
CDW4ME

I had a XDsc 40 and a 45 compact.
I really liked the 45 compact.
The grip on the subcompact was an odd length, about 1/2 my pinky would fit.
The XD has a roll pin on top of slide, not crazy about that and is fully cocked when loaded vs the partial / "pre-cock" on a Glock.
I like my Glocks, but would take a XD over a 4th gen. Glock; I've seen too many brass to head threads on those.
Old December 24, 2012, 03:52 PM   #16
tahunua001

I like XDs but they have a few drawbacks which cause a large number of PDs to not choose XDs,
1. is the ammo capacity, the XD or rather HS2000 was originally designed for the Croatian military to replace the long outdated weapons that they were still using by the beginning of the millennium. it was designed to be Croatian Milspec which was perfectly happy with a medium capacity service arm but not necessarily what most American police depts are looking for in a service pistol.

2. is a single action only trigger, though it is technically a misnomer, the closest fitting definition to the XD is a single action which turns a lot of PDs off for some reason.

3. is simple ignorance, many people do not even know where Croatia is on a map, no less what their political, or economic status is so they automatically write it off as a third world country that may be politically unstable so they don't want to be tied up and invested in a platform that may someday become irreplaceable so they go with companies from better known countries like Germany, Austria and Belgium. Croatia is as a matter of fact a thriving nation that is very active in NATO dealings, and is more heavily invested in eastern european markets and is not being hit nearly as hard as belgium and austria by the collapse of the Euro.

4. springfield tends to market heavily to civilians but has a very small M&P marketing staff and doesn't really push to have their guns in the hands of PDs around the nation like Glock and Sig do so it just comes to show you how highly some PDs regard the XD design by making it general issue, there used to be a list here and on XDtalk.com showing a number of larger PDs that are now issuing springfields instead of glocks and S&Ws.

glock tends to fix all those issues for a negligible increase in price(about $100) but in my opinion for an extra $50-100 increase over glocks, the springfield XDM design that was geared specifically at fixing the major complaints with the XD holds a huge lead over glock. changeable backstraps, better grip textures, less blocky design, longer sight radius and more ammo capacity really does make a huge difference over the original design and over most of the competition. the Gen 4 glock(and even new production gen 3s), though it added the changeable backstraps to be more competitive with M&Ps and XDMs has had serious recurring reliability issues since it's release and culminated with a recall that is still ongoing. i would much rather spend $600 on an XDM I know will work instead of $550 on a glock I hope will work

I never get sick of these discussions because there is never a shortage of XD or other smaller brand guys that post lengthy review, facts and opinions as to why their design is superior while the glock, sig and beretta guys just tend to say;
1. glock FTW
2. sigs are the best
3. beretta's better, US military didn't issue springfields last time I checked...etc
Old December 24, 2012, 05:14 PM   #17
Nanuk

Don't feed the Troll.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg troll.jpg (70.8 KB, 70 views)
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 24, 2012, 05:35 PM   #18
arsenalzastava

polymer fancy name for plastic

Springfields frames are plastic. Their guide rods and sites are metal. The ole glock is all tupperware, frame, sites, guide rod. Actually until recently the only people to copy the glock were the croatians with the xds. Most of europe still prefers the metal legends
Old December 24, 2012, 06:46 PM   #19
tahunua001

Quote:
Springfields frames are plastic. Their guide rods and sites are metal. The ole glock is all tupperware, frame, sites, guide rod. Actually until recently the only people to copy the glock were the croatians with the xds. Most of europe still prefers the metal legends
alright that is about the largest jumble of nonsense I've ever seen in a single paragraph.

1. I do not own glocks and it's been a while since I've disassembled them but I must say that you are very wrong with the assessment that they are all plastic. glocks have metal rail guides, just as the springfield XD does, the XD's is just more robust and larger. a good view can be seen here at the 4:50 mark. it is impossible to have a metal on plastic design, the plastic would melt, slough, shave and otherwise break off. anyone believing that such a design is even plausible is moronic for lack of a better word. also every guide rod I've dealt with while showing friends how to clean their glocks has been metal.

2. with the thought that HSP is the only company to copy glock, the XD is a vastely different design from glock, the only thing that these two guns have in common is they both have plastic frames and they are both striker fired. 12 years prior to the introduction of the glock 17, Heckler and Kock had a 17 round, double action only, polymer framed, striker fired handgun called the VP70 which was effectively the grandfather of every plastic striker gun since. the HS2000 was designed in 2002,
the steyr M9 was revealed in 1999,
the M&P was introduced in 2005,
the PX4 was designed in 2004,
the FNP was designed in 2006,
the P99 was introduced in 1996,
and the SR9 was introduced in 2007,

none of these guns with the exception of the walther and steyr have been around for more than a decade rendering the idea that springfield was the only other polymer pistol for years is complete rubbish.

3. the whole of europe has stuck with metal framed guns? walther, FN Herstal, Arsenal Firearms, Steyr, Glock, and Beretta are all european companies and all offer polymer framed pistols.

I don't know if you are just regurgitating something that some guy behind the gun counter at bass pro shop was spouting or if you really are just making it up as you go along but you should seriously research your facts before posting.
Old December 24, 2012, 07:07 PM   #20
tristar viper

Lets look at the OP's number of total posts....one day he'll figure it all out. He might even learn to use the search function next time.
Old December 24, 2012, 07:15 PM   #21
TMD

[IMG][/IMG]
Old December 24, 2012, 07:54 PM   #22
Venom1956

no keep going this is hilarious.

I can't believe i've been making buildings out of wood for all these years?! METAL?! PLASTIC?! Think of the possibilities!

No a pistol with a wood frame, guide rod, and sights... Now that's something worth buying!
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old December 24, 2012, 08:05 PM   #23
KenW.

I passed up the Glock 22, 23, and they smaller .40 SW I can't remember the number for from my LE agency so I could keep carrying my XD pistols.
I fired the Glocks when we were working them out prior to transitioning our issue weapon from the HK USP. They were alright, I guess.
Old December 24, 2012, 08:09 PM   #24
RBid

Epic Dead Horse.

100% of doctors who dislike Glock and love XDs prefer XDs over Glocks. It's science. Doctor science. Doctors are smart. You should trust them.
Old December 24, 2012, 08:35 PM   #25
TMD

Could be worse. The OP could have mentioned firing lead boolits from a Glock.
Closed Thread