The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 2, 2013, 12:29 PM   #1
Sea Buck

Blurry Sights and "Eye Pal"

At 70 I can no longer see my iron sights clearly and the target is a fuzzball out there some where! I saw an ad awhile back for EyE Pal and went to their web sight: www.eyepalusa.com. I like the concept. I remember a friend years ago using a piece of black tape with a pin hole.I thought at the time he looked a little odd with black tape on his shooting glasses. Has any one used the "Eye Pal" or seen it used?
Old August 2, 2013, 01:23 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

Merit Corporation has been making aperatures that go on your shooting glasses for years and have been used by many top shooters. They assist in making the target sharper even if you have perfect vision. They can be adjusted like a camera aperature and they hold up for years of use. I don't see where eyepal has any advantages over the Merit and in fact it appears to have less useful features. Before buying either one check out www.meritcorporation.com
Old August 3, 2013, 07:53 AM   #3
Sea Buck

Although I only got one response to my question,it's what I was looking for. I'll go with Merit. They are twice the cost of EyePal but look to be well made and will no doubt last longer. Thanks.
Old August 3, 2013, 08:15 AM   #4
NoSecondBest

Sea Buck, the gentleman who owns Merit is an exceptionally nice person. You can actually talk to him and he's never in a hurry to get off the phone. He'll also stand behind his products 100%. He's told me in the past that if I wasn't satisfied with anything I bought from him he'd give me my money back. Guess what? I've bought about a dozen different products off him over the years and haven't returned any of them. Everything he sells is top shelf. Good service and good prices for what he sells. You can't go wrong.
Old August 3, 2013, 08:53 AM   #5
Rifleman1776

I have the Merit and it works fine. Only downside is the very high price. Somewhere north of $60.00. The suction cup that holds it on often does not hold all day making possibility of losing it very high.
Noteworthy, these devices are excellent on the range but useless in the woods.
Old August 3, 2013, 09:33 AM   #6
NoSecondBest

Quote:
I have the Merit and it works fine. Only downside is the very high price. Somewhere north of $60.00. The suction cup that holds it on often does not hold all day making possibility of losing it very high.
Noteworthy, these devices are excellent on the range but useless in the woods.
That's why they make aperatures that fit inside tang, vernier, and receiver sights....such as the fine Williams FP receiver sights. I've used the stick on eye glass aperature for years target shooting, both informally and in competition. I've never had one fall off at any time. Clean the glass and use water, not spit, to create the suction. Attached is the combo I bought for my Win 1886 in 45-70. I've had my Merit eyeglass aperature for over twenty years. Kind of hard to call it expensive after all this time with no problems what-so-ever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merit and Williams FP 006.JPG (182.2 KB, 12 views)