The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 2, 2013, 11:23 AM   #1
HamsterHamster

Barry is that you?

Is he using a Browning or Beretta?

Old February 2, 2013, 06:03 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

Browning with what appears to be only one choke tube in the gun
Old February 2, 2013, 07:10 PM   #3
PetahW

I see him using the media to B.S. the un-knowledgeable.

Old February 3, 2013, 01:53 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Reminds me a bit of Kerry the hunter, and FDR the target shooter. Most of us are familiar with the former, but not many remember the FDR photo.

FDR, one of the most anti-gun presidents we have had up to President Obama, once had himself driven to the Marine rifle range at Quantico, where he was dressed in a shooting jacket and laid on a mat.* A Springfield target rifle was put in his hands. Then he turned part way around and produced his famous smile. Shutters clicked.

The rifle was taken away, FDR put back in his car and driven back to the White House. Not a shot was fired. The photo appeared in the general press and in the outdoor magazines of the day, to “prove” that the president was a target shooter and gun fancier.

I suspect that was the only time FDR ever held a gun; unlike his cousin, Teddy, he was no soldier, outdoorsman or hunter even before he contracted infantile paralysis.

*The American public was not generally aware of FDR’s handicap, which was a closely guarded secret, a secret well maintained by an adoring press corps.

Jim
Old February 3, 2013, 02:10 PM   #5
JWT

Some of the pictures I've seen state that he's holding a rifle with smoke coming out of the barrel. Real experts, these media people.
Old February 3, 2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Dreaming100Straight

There is no way to tell if there is one or two chokes in the Citori that the President is shooting. He could have a non-extended tube in his under barrel.
Old February 4, 2013, 11:47 AM   #7
motorhead0922

Judging by the barrel/eye relationship, some muzzle rise has occurred. So, whatever he shot at is not up in the air.
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.
Old February 4, 2013, 01:16 PM   #8
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
There is no way to tell if there is one or two chokes in the Citori that the President is shooting. He could have a non-extended tube in his under barrel.
While a possibility, I seriously doubt it. This was a stage stunt, and staged by minions who think he is probably holding an assault rifle.......no one I know who uses extended tubes bothers with one extended and one flush mount
Old February 4, 2013, 03:39 PM   #9
Dreaming100Straight

BigDinFl

Quote:
While a possibility, I seriously doubt it. This was a stage stunt, and staged by minions who think he is probably holding an assault rifle.......no one I know who uses extended tubes bothers with one extended and one flush mount
All I know is that I have seen shooters with a single extended choke in their o/u and I have shot with one when in a hurry to join a squad on the trap field as I rushed from shooting skeet. Then, bretween rounds of trap I swapped out the second skeet choke for an IM.

Another reason for shooting with a single extended is for some reason you only have the one with you on the particular day.

Were the White House to stage a stunt, I think it would have come up with two like kind chokes.