The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 17, 2011, 08:03 PM   #1
Lokpyrite

Reduced Recoil Rounds

So, I've been looking at getting some new HD/SD rounds for my 12g. Obviously reduced recoil = reduced powder/power, but how much? I mean according to the box you lose about 200fps, so does that turn the 12 into an also ran or is it worth the reduction?
Old June 17, 2011, 08:38 PM   #2
pabuckslayer08

Inside a home it will drop any target on the spot but what you have to look at you lose alot of range and lethality through walls. I would put money on it that at 15ft it wouldnt shoot through a 3" drywalled wall with a sheet on bother sides with a cylinder choke
Old June 17, 2011, 09:13 PM   #3
ohen cepel

Trade off of course. Make sure they will run your gun, I tried some and they didn't run in my Beretta. Pump won't matter.

For the money I think you could step down to lighter shot (I like #4's) and 2.75in shells if you're now running OO Buck 3in and have the same over all effect.

The reduced recoil stuff is overpriced in my mind.

It or the #4's will still do anything that needs to be done in a home.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old June 17, 2011, 09:40 PM   #4
the blur

I only buy the reduced loads rifle and shotgun. my shoulder is happy, but some of my semi auto's don't cycle properly.
Old June 17, 2011, 10:01 PM   #5
Lee Lapin

If you shoot a semiauto, it might make a difference in how the gun runs. In a pumpgun, it should be no big deal. But reliability in the gun is consideration number one, no matter what else is part of the equation.

Two ways to get reduced recoil - less payload, or less powder. Either equals less downrange performance to go along with the reduced recoil, the laws of physics will not be denied. Not likely enough lower oomph to make a difference at genuine across-the-room range though. If the reduction in recoil is important enough to you to sacrifice a bit of performance, then no doubt the tradeoff is worth it.

Try Fiocchi 12LE00BK, a 9 pellet 00 load with hard lead nickel plated pellets. It's the softest kicking buckshot I've found so far ( http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=482134 to see it, shop around for best price). It comes in 10-round boxes and should be pretty widely available - and you shouldn't have too much trouble dealing with the price. It patterns reasonably well, and does better in my limited experience with a touch of choke. Here's a report on some limited patterning with a couple of guns/chokes I did a few years back - http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-167864.html fwiw.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old June 22, 2011, 12:53 AM   #6
bamaranger

We shoot quite a bit of the stuff at work. No felon shootings, but a bunch of paper and pest/RKD work. You give up some velocity, but there are some gains.

Less recoil= faster recovery

Nobody's measuring, but we think its patterning slightly better.

The genuine LE reduced recoil fodder has likely been treated w/ a flash suppressant. There s a big difference in reduced light between sport/full power buck/slug and the genuine reduced recoil LE numbers in muzzle flash.
Less loss of night vision and you are not advertising your position or yourself.
Old June 22, 2011, 07:04 AM   #7
Rugerismisticness

I would use copper or zinc plated #2 shot in a 3" shell...or a pistol.